327 Chevy V8 Starting woes

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
Johann Grobler

Re: 327 Chevy V8 Starting woes

Post by Johann Grobler » Fri 11 Sep 2015, 12:47

colin davids wrote:I dont think your battery is being drained while driving. 14.2 volts is plenty. It seems that way because after you have warmed up the engine it needs more battery amps to crank it. What is the amp/hour rating of your battery.I have found that the 657 works well. It is recommended for diesel engines so your chevy should be no problem. Also the earth cable needs to go from the battery directly onto the engine block. I know its a mission but it works way better.
I have fitted the 657 Willard to my Rekord and have an earth cable to the body(OEM), an earth cable from the body to the block (OEM) and from the battery earth to the Starter Motor mounting (Self) The last mounting cable really works! End to my problems :D :D
Running!.JPG
Running!.JPG (166.2 KiB) Viewed 1127 times

porkypies

Post by porkypies » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 13:03

Thank you, Bigblock. I put the battery on slow charge for 2 days and took it for a proper test. I can say it is not the battery. I will have the timing checked on Monday and also the heat generated close to the starter. The latter makes sense because as soon as the car is warm and I switch off and then on again, the problem starts.
Jeep CJ2 Replica 327 Chevy V8
Range Rover Sport 4.2 V8 Supercharged

porkypies

Post by porkypies » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 20:17

I can now say that the problem is no more! We moved the relay for the starter closer the the starter and wrapped the exhaust to prevent heat build-up on the starter, and voila! Thank you everyone for your input! :D
Jeep CJ2 Replica 327 Chevy V8
Range Rover Sport 4.2 V8 Supercharged

Social Media