Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
User avatar
IndianaJones
Posts: 4864
Joined: Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:39
Location: Citrusdal, RSA

Re: Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post by IndianaJones » Wed 17 Jun 2015, 13:42

Jason wrote:What box was used in the Cortina?
I may be mistaken, but I think it was the Ford Europe Type 5, which was a larger version of the 2000E box.

User avatar
lumi-fan
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun 26 Jul 2009, 21:08
Location: Vanderbijlpark

Re: Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post by lumi-fan » Wed 17 Jun 2015, 14:30

I can't remember, but don't think it was Borg Warner.

User avatar
MAD SAPPHIRE
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:48
Location: Cape Town

Re: Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Wed 17 Jun 2015, 20:27

lumifan wrote:I can't remember, but don't think it was Borg Warner.
Borg Warner T5 was and upgrade done for Police Sierras. Wheny they started auctioning the cars the T5 gearboxes started becoming popular here in CT at least.
Originally Gearmax was the Angents at the time and had plenty parts and ratio options available.
They did good work and turned out some special T5's, nudge nudge wink wink....

My special one which was stored away for 7 years was sold to a good friend in KZN.
Does nicely in his Supercharged Cortina XR6.

Sticking with your 4spd is better than the Ford 5spd!
Will see if I can get hold of a special T5 if you are interested?

Regards,
MS
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

User avatar
dw1980
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu 24 Nov 2011, 16:21
Location: Boksburg

Re: Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post by dw1980 » Thu 18 Jun 2015, 07:46

Something out of interest, I remember back in the 80's with the Cortina Bakkies, just before the Courier bakkies came out. The Cortina bakkies had 4 speed boxes, but my dad bought one of the last ones made, which came out with a 5 speed box, which I am almost positive was a Borg Warner box. These boxes were fitted by Ford (well in South Africa at least). This bakkie was the 1600 with Kent motor, so not too sure of the V6 Cortina Bakkies were also fitted with a 5 speed before the courier came out. Correct me if I am wrong.

I also had a 91 Ford Sapphire Ghia at one stage, and hated that box, because the gear changes were a mission and long changes. Basically from the dashboard to the rear seat (1 to 2nd), ok might be exaggerating, but was painful. Being a short person, I literally almost had to climb off the seat to engage reverse (same as vw's). Lol, if I had a chick next to me, they would always be like, "are you trying to grab my leg" and i was like no, I im trying to pull out the parking so we can get home....
DW

Life's a Journey, Not a Destination, and with a V8 it makes it more exciting!

Cars I Drive: 2008 Mazda 6 2.3i Dynamic Auto
1976 Chevy Impala 283 V8

ex: 1995 Honda Prelude 2.2Si
ex: 2000 Nissan Maxima 2.0i V6

Jason
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun 20 Apr 2008, 01:52
Location: Sin City, USA

Re: Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post by Jason » Thu 18 Jun 2015, 10:31

MAD SAPPHIRE wrote:Borg Warner T5 was and upgrade done for Police Sierras. When they started auctioning the cars the T5 gearboxes started becoming popular here in CT at least.
Originally Gearmax was the Angents at the time and had plenty parts and ratio options available.
They did good work and turned out some special T5's, nudge nudge wink wink....
World Class T5s were introduced in 1984 (in some late '84 Mustangs, standard in the 1985MY) and offered a considerable upgrade over the Non-WC T5. Ford and BW introduced numerous upgrades over the years to accommodate the rising hp/torque levels in the Mustang. GM drug their feet for 3+ years before offering a decent version of the T5 behind their V8s....quite content to sell their 4spd slushboxes to lazy American drivers more content to apply make up and eat than to pay attention to the road.

The Ford "Z" series T5 has a 2.95:1 first gear and a 335lb-ft (454nm) torque rating. The Z boxes are great transmissions for mild engines but if pushing 400+lb-ft or torque or drag racing, I'd step up to a Tremec.

I had a T9 in my Merkur XR4ti (Sierra in the rest of the world) that shifted great and worked well until I turned up the boost on the 2.3 turbo from factory 14psi to 20psi. The nearly 100lb-ft of extra torque killed the syncros.

User avatar
colin davids
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 08:49

Re: Sierra 3L 5 speed box vs Cortina 3L 4 speed

Post by colin davids » Thu 18 Jun 2015, 15:07

dw1980 wrote:Something out of interest, I remember back in the 80's with the Cortina Bakkies, just before the Courier bakkies came out. The Cortina bakkies had 4 speed boxes, but my dad bought one of the last ones made, which came out with a 5 speed box, which I am almost positive was a Borg Warner box. These boxes were fitted by Ford (well in South Africa at least). This bakkie was the 1600 with Kent motor, so not too sure of the V6 Cortina Bakkies were also fitted with a 5 speed before the courier came out. Correct me if I am wrong.

I also had a 91 Ford Sapphire Ghia at one stage, and hated that box, because the gear changes were a mission and long changes. Basically from the dashboard to the rear seat (1 to 2nd), ok might be exaggerating, but was painful. Being a short person, I literally almost had to climb off the seat to engage reverse (same as vw's). Lol, if I had a chick next to me, they would always be like, "are you trying to grab my leg" and i was like no, I im trying to pull out the parking so we can get home....
The t5 was available as an upgrade on the courier v6 bakkies but it was a very different box to the xr8. Fine spline input shaft, different output and shorter fifth gear. IMHO this would be perfect for your essex. I have one sitting on the bench in a million pieces after my xr8 f :?: :!: cked it up so i would assume its not as strong as the v8 version. Dont put a v8 t5 behind your v6 because the fifth gear is 0.63 overdriven and you would have a hard time pulling that.
FORD CAPRI PERANA NO. 66
FORD CAPRI V8 DRAG CAR
FORD SIERRA XR8
FORD CORTINA 3.0 S W/CHEVY V8
BMW E30 W/ FORD 347 STROKER
1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 MANUAL W/4V CLEVELAND
SUZUKI GSXR 1000
FORD SAPPHIRE 2 LITRE 16 VALVE TURBO

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests