INSULATION FOR CARS/BAKKIES

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
johan wepener

INSULATION FOR CARS/BAKKIES

Post by johan wepener » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 10:40

I want to put insulation on the firewall and floor of my C10, under the carpet. The

idea is sounddeadening and to keep heat out. Maybe this can also be fitted

inside the doors. Just to give a little bit of a 'quality' feel to the old lady.

There as so many products. Popular seems to be something with a foil on top.

What is the most effective product and where can I buy?

Thanks

Johan
JOHAN WEPENER

IF YOU WISH TO DRAW AN INFERENCE IT HAS TO BE CONSISTENT WITH ALL THE PROVEN FACTS.IF NOT, THE INFERENCE CANNOT BE DRAWN

Moering Tool

Re: INSULATION FOR CARS/BAKKIES

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 10:51

The expensive stuff is called Dynamat. There is a cheaper 'imitation' brand you can buy, but the name escapes me now.

Pro auto rubber also sells rubber sheets which do the same thing.

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 12:14

Use the pro auto on the floor and if you doing a fair bit of driving then Dynamat the firewall or Autostyle sells T-mat which Is half price but I never used it before ...
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

raceface

Post by raceface » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 14:08

jlebenon wrote:Use the pro auto on the floor and if you doing a fair bit of driving then Dynamat the firewall or Autostyle sells T-mat which Is half price but I never used it before ...
By the time you are finish 'dicking' around you will come back to the Dynamat, I've seen the Autostyle T-mat, is exactly half the price of the Dynamat but it has not substance and compresses to nothing.

Just done the Trans am with the Dynamat from the Firewall all the way to under the rear seats then used some Pro-Auto product we had in the shop for the rest, but all it is is thin foam covered with thin foil, it's got no substance or density to it, you would properly be better off using commercial household carpet under-felt which will work better than the thin foam stuff.

....except for the heat of course then your only choice is the Dynamat.
" it's not Custom if you don't cut it"
http://www.facebook.com/racefacecustomclassic.
082 440 6286

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 14:22

I've read about guys using conveyor belting .... I can imagine it will be effective but very heavy.

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 14:34

Dave the pro auto isn't that silver stuff , pro auto is the sound deadening insulation which you apply with the heat gun .... But yes if it were me I'll Dynamat the whole car
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

raceface

Post by raceface » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 14:50

Moering Tool wrote:I've read about guys using conveyor belting .... I can imagine it will be effective but very heavy.

we have another Trans-am in the shop where conveyor belting was used, can't see all of the floor (because of the carpet on top) but can't think how you would 'mold' the thick rubber from the conveyor belt into the recess's or over the ridges, unless you cut it up into little pieces to fit!

very heavy.[/quote] not only heavy but also quite thick by the time you got the carpet on, lifts your knees up, if you are in the passenger seat or in the back. This is not such a problem for the
'sedan' type cars but is an issues in the Camaro's and Trans-am etc where the seats are quite low to the floor.
You don't realize it's going to be a problem until it is.
" it's not Custom if you don't cut it"
http://www.facebook.com/racefacecustomclassic.
082 440 6286

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 17:50

I use a product called IMIX exactly same as Dynamat, costs R2000 a box that covers 7.5 m2 used 2 boxes for Chevelle, inside doors, floor, boot, parcel tray & fire wall etc.
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

jmvv

Post by jmvv » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 18:11

I've got a sound shop and we do quite a bit of sound proofing.
(It's amazing what decent sound proofing can do to a Land Cruiser bakkie)

There are two product that we use.
The one is called Silent Coat and and the other is STP.

Stay away from the products with a bitumous base covered with a foil backing. The bitumen starts melting when the car is parked in the sun and create all kinds of havoc with upholstery and window mechanisms.

Silent Coat and STP has a polymer based backing that is engineered for acoustic and thermal absorption.

We apply 4mm Silent Coat or STP Bomb on the roof panels (inside of course) and 2mm Silent Coat or STP Gold on the firewall, floor, luggage area and doors.

The inside of the door panels gets treated with Silent Coat 7, an adhesive backed engineered foam that stops resonance and rattles in the door panels.

On a Land Cruiser double cab bakkie, I measured a noise reduction of about 7dB (not scientific but with my cellphone app) at 120 kph with the windows closed and the aircon running.

It eliminates the empty coffee tin clang when closing the doors and reduces the mechanical noise interference from transmission and aggressive tyre tread.

jmvv

Post by jmvv » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 18:13

Burnthosetyres wrote:I use a product called IMIX exactly same as Dynamat, costs R2000 a box that covers 7.5 m2 used 2 boxes for Chevelle, inside doors, floor, boot, parcel tray & fire wall etc.
I used to use IMIX until the bitumen melted when an Impala we did was parked in the summer sun and the melting bitumen destroyed the imported OEM headliner. The bitumen also attacks the insulation of wiring trapped underneath it.

Social Media