rebore or resleeve ford 302

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
chevy38

rebore or resleeve ford 302

Post by chevy38 » Thu 17 Apr 2014, 20:20

i am looking at purchasing a 1970 Ford Fairlane, but something is bothering me the gent had a engineering company strip the motor down and found 2 of the cylinders are pitted from standing for some time with water in them, according to what they told him the 2 cylinders will need to be resleeved :(
now what i want to know is this has anyone had a block resleeved or should i just rebore all 8 cylinders to next size, apparently the other 6 bores are still good
also any idea what sort of price i might be looking at :idea:

ZA Perana

Re: rebore or resleeve ford 302

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 18 Apr 2014, 14:57

chevy38 wrote:i am looking at purchasing a 1970 Ford Fairlane, but something is bothering me the gent had a engineering company strip the motor down and found 2 of the cylinders are pitted from standing for some time with water in them, according to what they told him the 2 cylinders will need to be resleeved :(
now what i want to know is this has anyone had a block resleeved or should i just rebore all 8 cylinders to next size, apparently the other 6 bores are still good
also any idea what sort of price i might be looking at :idea:
In my opinion based on my knowledge resleeving may be a viable idea. Reboring, that's also doable but has the motor been rebored before?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

alvin chetty

Post by alvin chetty » Sat 19 Apr 2014, 09:30

I wouldn't recommend either. the old blocks tend to rust from the water jackets into the cylinder bore and re-sleeving will still create water seepage and problems. Best bet is to replace the block.
Google wont keep you out of Jail

chevy38

Post by chevy38 » Tue 22 Apr 2014, 18:57

havent seen the block myself need to ask him to get out to see what the problem is

Social Media