LRP

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
Johann65

Re: LRP

Post by Johann65 » Fri 20 Jul 2012, 17:25

Have driven for about 80 Km with the 93 Unleaded petrol and pulled the original plugs this afternoon.
These plugs have been in the car for about 4 years!! done about 10,000 miles!! :D :D
This is what they look like. Local driving only :D :D . Reset the gap and cleaned them. Put the new plugs I bought in the boot!! :D :D
"Dan The Carburettor Man" knows how to tune a carburettor!! The Wynns Valve Guard looks like the right product. Will check the plugs after touring the Lowveld this coming week.
LRP 002.JPG
LRP 002.JPG (78.4 KiB) Viewed 502 times
LRP 003.JPG
LRP 003.JPG (87.07 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Sun 22 Jul 2012, 13:34

So.... just to clarify, in my Camaro with Ally heads I can run unleaded without aditives and no problem?
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 22 Jul 2012, 14:38

Burnthosetyres wrote:So.... just to clarify, in my Camaro with Ally heads I can run unleaded without aditives and no problem?
Just to be clear. My Camaro engine, after determining the Year,1984, the engine was classified as running on unleaded with all the emmision control fittings. This Z28 did not have Ally heads.

Determine your year and specifications and make sure of the emmision control items.
I suspect that if your Camaro is later than 1984, your ally head may have valve seats!! This is all guess work!!

neresh

Post by neresh » Sun 22 Jul 2012, 16:17

Took my elky for a run this morn , met a bunch of bikers on the M4 , needless to say , I needed to fill up after , stopped @ the service station @ salt rock , no LRP , so filled up with unleaded , not sure whether my heads have had the work done to accomodate this , but the motor was freshly built with everything new (incl valves , guides , seats , and I'm using cast iron heads ) about 18 mnths ago and has probably only done about 2000 k,s ............so here's hoping !!
'71 camino - 406 c.i - turbo 400(manual shift kit) - 9" rear (3.50:1)

Tony69

Post by Tony69 » Sun 22 Jul 2012, 23:08

I'm pretty sure there is no ally head that doesnt have seat inserts. Aluminium is super weak, it will never take the pounding without an insert.

The seat inserts commonly used on ally heads are stronger than cast iron, therefore, even the very old ally heads that werent designed with unleaded in mind, will still run fine on unleaded. They needed to be stronger because the aluminium is very weak. But honestly, most, if not all ally heads were fitted with proper hardened seats for unleaded.

Add to that the heat dispensing properties of aluminium, and guess what?

The general rule is that any ally head can use unleaded. I would be damn suprised to find one that couldnt.

Len, I think you've got modern aftermarket heads there? No doubt, they will run on unleaded, but ask the manufacturer if youre still in doubt.

btw.... How much milage do you think it would take to receed the valve 1mm on a cast iron head?
I'd say just about 100 000km. Thats enough for you to forget, and just when you think youre fine.... 8O

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Mon 23 Jul 2012, 06:29

I probably do 6000 kms per year on a car... so in plenty years time... I'm in for a bad surprise....
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Glen

Post by Glen » Mon 23 Jul 2012, 09:45

Johann65 wrote:Have driven for about 80 Km with the 93 Unleaded petrol and pulled the original plugs this afternoon.
These plugs have been in the car for about 4 years!! done about 10,000 miles!! :D :D
This is what they look like. Local driving only :D :D . Reset the gap and cleaned them. Put the new plugs I bought in the boot!! :D :D
"Dan The Carburettor Man" knows how to tune a carburettor!! The Wynns Valve Guard looks like the right product. Will check the plugs after touring the Lowveld this coming week.
LRP 002.JPG
LRP 003.JPG

Guys i might misunderstand this thread,

my ELKY was serviced minor two months ago by myself and i tuned the 650 carb prior to this because it was exhausting a way bit too rich and i run normal (pump gas)LRP i dont believe in the unleaded but SASOL LRP/UNLEADED is good though believe it or not coming back Johaan my ELKY'S plugs burn like that as per your pic's 8)

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:13

Hi Johann

Just to confirm you are using unleaded with valve guard on the 4100 motor right? You have not swapped over to the 305 as yet?

I think while there is LRP I will use it.

Glen, you seem to have faith in Sasol fuel. I have seen and spoken to many people in KZN who say that although you may be filling at a Sasol filling station for example, does not necessarily mean you are filling Sasol fuel. Apparently the oil companies have some sort of arrangement for distribution to reduce transport costs. Whether there is substance to this I don't know, just heard from many sources.

Glen

Post by Glen » Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:54

kavesh wrote:Hi Johann

Just to confirm you are using unleaded with valve guard on the 4100 motor right? You have not swapped over to the 305 as yet?

I think while there is LRP I will use it.

Glen, you seem to have faith in Sasol fuel. I have seen and spoken to many people in KZN who say that although you may be filling at a Sasol filling station for example, does not necessarily mean you are filling Sasol fuel. Apparently the oil companies have some sort of arrangement for distribution to reduce transport costs. Whether there is substance to this I don't know, just heard from many sources.
Kavesh

I used SASOL in my 1000CBR fireblade and i can tell you that was real fuel coz when i used to do breakfast runs me and buddy hard driving 10000/11500 hitting limmiter the exhaust was white/creamy/brown very light in the inside it had a Two Brothers BIG BORE racing can, and to the far end of the the can that is the tip outside, the exhaust colour would be light green in colour and the machine used to perform well when SASOL was used, for now i have not used it in the Elcamino V8 but will try it the guys are utilising AVGAS as an additive with LRP or full AVGAS this is word on the streets in CPT 8)

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 29 Jul 2012, 13:37

kavesh wrote:Hi Johann, Just to confirm you are using unleaded with valve guard on the 4100 motor right? You have not swapped over to the 305 as yet? I think while there is LRP I will use it.
Hullo Kavesh, Just got back today. Sold the 305 with the Kommando. Sticking to the 250Cid. Busy loading pics and will pull the plugs to-morrow. Only problem I encountered was blockage in the MonoJet due to the bad dirt roads. Inside of the Float chamber was like Coffee 8O
Fuel Consumption 8.3 Kml. Won't try 4x4 country again. Beautifull Mountains.

Social Media