'53 Chevy mild custom project

A place where new members can introduce themselves and the forum members can get to know them.
Forum rules
Please the introduction first.

When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Include your real location in your user profie please.
1953 Chevy 210 4-dr

'53 Chevy mild custom project

Post by 1953 Chevy 210 4-dr » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 18:25

Hello fellow lovers of old cars!

New to this forum and hoping to obtain some advice/answers re aspects of my project.

We have had a 1953 Chevrolet 210 4-door model in the family (purchased by my grandfather in the mid 1960's) and I recently resurrected it mechanically to a running condition from being in storage for the last 23 years following his passing away.

The car is very complete with a bit of repairable rust here and there but the paint work is cracking everywhere and most of the chrome door trims are dented beyond the repair capabilities of anyone I know of in SA anyway. Grill and bumpers are fine. Interior needs to be re-upholstered... for the second time. My grandfather had it re-upholstered for the first time in the late 70's.

As the 4-door 210 model does not carry the value of a Bel-air coupe for example, and full replacement chrome trim kits are getting hard to find even in the States, I have decided to take the easy route of restoration and do a mild custom. I know there are folks out there who would want to crucify me for it, but for me to derive any enjoyment from the car at this stage instead of it rotting away, that is the way it needs to go.

The body panels have already been sanded down to the metal with some welding work under way. I intend on importing a bolt-on disc brake conversion for the front keeping the original spindles with a 2.5" suspension drop all around, perhaps 3" at the rear. I'd like to try and get 18" alloys on the car. I have already purchased more fashionable '54 tail lights and some other bits and pieces from the States and after loosing the bonnet and boot emblems for a cleaner look plus a smart new paint job the car should be good for leisure cruising.

The original 3-speed manual gearbox and 4.1L straight-6 motor runs lovely even after 180,000 kms on the clock. All I had to do for practical reasons and reliability was to install a electric fuel pump and convert the electrical system + bulbs from 6v to 12v.

I have had most of the engine peripheral components reconditioned within the last 12 months. So I will not touch the motor for now. But ultimately I will be looking for a small block V8 with automatic tranny.

Here goes to another 65 years of motoring!

Social Media