Hi from the Cape

A place where new members can introduce themselves and the forum members can get to know them.
Forum rules
Please the introduction first.

When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Include your real location in your user profie please.
Rumbler308

Hi from the Cape

Post by Rumbler308 » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 20:39

Greetings all,

I have been on the Forum for a while reading and following peoples builds and projects, thought it would be a good time to officially start posting.

Thought id share what i have been busy with on and off for the last year and a bit. Bought myself a 1973 El Camino that id been chasing for a while, the specific one i wanted was sold to another buyer and i kinda put the idea on the back burner for a while, until i recognized it on Gumtree again but only in a different color and some interior work done, so i snapped it up immediately. She needed a little bit of work, but thats what i wanted. Ended up replacing the carb for a brand new one, ordered a whole lot of things from Australia to replace some worn out and missing bits. Eventually got it running nicely again and enjoyed it for a few months.

Here she is in 308 Form:

[urImage

After enjoying it for a bit and sorting out some little issues i decided the 308 had to go, Roll on Chevy 454 Big Block and TH400 transmission

Once the 454 and TH400 were in i got addicted improving it. I drove it for a while with the standard diff and drums at the back. I decided to change all the brakes, so it was new discs/hubs up front with new pads, new drums/shoes and slaves at the rear, after the brake renewal she definitely felt more solid when stopping. I again drove it for a while and then the electrical issues started, that was a nightmare. I proceeded to rip all the wiring out and completely rewire the vehicle from front to back, with all new switches, relays etc etc. The gauge cluster i had was no good, as i only had rpm, fuel and oil pressure. I did some hunting and find a place that will make customs gauges (background) for almost all applications, so i made these gauges up:

Now i finally have a working speedo, fuel level, water temp, voltage and accurate rpm - The speedo is the GPS type, so no cable from the tranny to the gauge, just a GPS receiver mounted on the dash and off you go, works like a charm. Mounted a switch panel with all fuses on the panel as well

Had my Ford 9 inch diff installed, re-drilled the flanges for Chev PCD, mounted new discs and calipers at the rear, ran new brake lines to the residual valve, installed a new booster and new brake lines up front, replaced the standard Holden brake proportioning valve for an aftermarket type that works well.

I only had the metal fan running off of the water pump in the beginning and the temperature would get way high, 120deg. So i pulled that off and made up a shroud for the bac side of the radiator and mounted two 10 inch fans to pull the air through the radiator.

The transmission cooler i mounted under the passenger seat and gets plenty of airflow, i also installed a Derale high volume TH400 sump with cooling tubes and fins to help with the gearbox fluid cooling.

I had issues with the carburetor bowls running dry at WOT and the car would fall flat on its nose until the bowls filled up again, this was due to the fuel system being hooked up wrong by "so called" pro's. Ripped their system out and did it properly, installing a regulator after the carb with return to tank, now she screams at WOT and doesnt skip a beat - I feel bad for the neighbours as a 454 with no silencers at WOT is LOUD.

I have a few more little things to complete, like install glass pack mufflers to quiten it down a tad, adjust carb and scoop linkages, cut another hole in my bonnet and securely mount my 240Ltr fuel tank. Hoping to have all this done by November if time permits.

Some recent pics with new wheels and tyres, had to raise the bak with some extended shackles due to the rears rubbing a bit:
Last edited by Rumbler308 on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

craigd

Re: Hi from the Cape

Post by craigd » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 22:29

Hi Rumbler

welcome to the forum.
nice one.

love the work you have done to her thus far.
and good on you for tracking her down. looks to be very solid.

enjoy her.

cheers
craigd

1965 Pontiac Parisienne

ters

Post by ters » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 06:25

Welcome Rumbler! :mrgreen: Great looking Elky you have, must be a monster with the big block?!

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

parkerya

Post by parkerya » Wed 15 Jul 2015, 15:20

Looks awesome. hope to see you around in the Cape at car shows or on the road
" better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime"

Rumbler308

Post by Rumbler308 » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 00:28

ters wrote:Welcome Rumbler! :mrgreen: Great looking Elky you have, must be a monster with the big block?!

Ters.
Thanx Ters!

It can turn tyres quite easily. Mashing the peddal in 3rd immediately drops you down to 2nd and there is this surge of acceleration that seems to not let off. The noise it makes is something else, it is literally Nascar loud.

These are the manifolds it has on and the the exhaust, no silencers:

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 17:44

Very cool Elkie, welcome

Chevy-SS-Stroker

Post by Chevy-SS-Stroker » Sun 19 Jul 2015, 06:34

Welcome, very nice ride!!
"Every turn-out is a burn-out"

2015 Ford Ranger XLT 3.2 4x4
2009 Suzuki Jimny 4x4
1984 Suzuki SJ410 4x4 (A14 Fuel Injected)
1984 Nissan Safari P/U 4x4
1950 MF TED20 Little Grey (Vaaljapie)

Scar

Post by Scar » Sun 19 Jul 2015, 07:44

Awesome car! Great work. Welcome

PS. What did u do with your previous wheels? Looking for something for my Biscayne.
Scar

58 Chevy Biscayne
69 Barracuda 383
Audi S4 supercharged V6 (daily driver)

Rumbler308

Post by Rumbler308 » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 12:55

Scar wrote:Awesome car! Great work. Welcome

PS. What did u do with your previous wheels? Looking for something for my Biscayne.
Thanx Scar,

Those wheels were sold a few days ago :(

Mike J

Great Chevy.

Post by Mike J » Thu 23 Jul 2015, 04:28

Hi Rumbler

Great looking El camino. Hope you can have it done by Nov. Please let me know where you got the gauges done. I have a 75 Ranchero which I need to do new gauges for.

Thanks

Mike

Social Media