Juan's (25) T bucket

A place where new members can introduce themselves and the forum members can get to know them.
Forum rules
Please the introduction first.

When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Include your real location in your user profie please.
Juan Mouton

Re: Juan's (25) T bucket

Post by Juan Mouton » Wed 31 Jul 2013, 06:13

Hi Barry,

Well to be honest, i want to build something that turns heads, i like the wide wheels,nice v8 with chrome, but I am open for ideas, i am taking the build slow, not rushing it at all. I am going to try to get to cars in the park on Sunday for some ideas and tip, did spoke to a guy from krugersdorp Keith, he said i can visit his shop so i think that is the next step to get a better idea what to build, i dont like the vertical steering collom at all, LUCKELY I am short 1.69 .

I am looking for wheels but not sure yet wat i am going to use.

Thanks for your tips , i will stay in touch with you if its oky?

Have a blessed day
Thanks
Juan

Garage

Post by Garage » Wed 31 Jul 2013, 06:51

With pleasure Juan!
My opinions are my own, and of course you must build what you like. My real advice is to encourage you take your time to study and plan it well. And then stick to your plan - save some ideas for your next one. If it turns out well and you have fun with it I can guarantee this won't be your last build!

Too many hotrods end up compromised for a couple of reasons:
-Following how others say you should do it. In the end you MUST make your own decisions.
- Using what you have even if it doesn't quite 'fit'.
- Too many influences trying to be crammed into one car.
- Your ideas and tastes changing during the time it takes - which is why I suggest restraint and getting a clear and timeless picture (watch how may 'ratrods' you will still see in ten years when we finally get over the fad)

Keith Potgieter has had a hand in a lot of what has been done with T-buckets in SA. But in my opinion a very narrow recipe has been followed. There is a lot more to the genre....

Chrome and shiny is great and I encourage it. In the end there are two things that make or break any hotrod:
-Getting the stance and flow right.
-Wrong wheel choice. We see far too many over-wheeled cars.

To work well, any design should comprise components which all work well together and make the whole more than the sum of the parts. Often less is more.

I am keen to see where you take this, whatever style you go with!
Barry

Metalshaping courses, Replacement panels, Full Builds, General Fabrication.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garag ... 2857822743

Juan Mouton

Post by Juan Mouton » Wed 31 Jul 2013, 07:09

Thank you Barry,

This is my first time on a forum and wow look how nice everyone is, i phoned a guy that builds hotrods,not going to mention his name, he asked me, am i going to build my car or buy it from him...when i said im building my own he just replied " sorry cant help you,try google"

I am 90% sure how i want my car to look like, but struggle with wheel choice, maybe 275 or 295 at the rear...?

My dream is to build a chev fleetline LOW AND SLOW lol

Time to go to work enjoy your day Barry

Juan Mouton

Post by Juan Mouton » Wed 31 Jul 2013, 13:23

I am just a little unsure about the front end, dont want to build a suicide front end

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Wed 31 Jul 2013, 19:00

Juan.... Barry is not always this nice, must be a good month in Stellies...... Ha ha.

But he is knowledgable and helpfull. I've seen many of Keith's cars, the detail is awesome..... But at a price.

One thing I've learned, over my projects, what I really like changes when prices are received.....but as Barry says, you need a picture / plan and work towards it. Safety is paramount. Stance is critical.... And wheels are personal!

Also remember less is more......
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Juan Mouton

Post by Juan Mouton » Wed 31 Jul 2013, 19:05

Thanks, yes thats true and so far everyone on the forum is nice haha, where you from?

Garage

Post by Garage » Thu 01 Aug 2013, 05:07

Burnthosetyres wrote:Juan.... Barry is not always this nice, must be a good month in Stellies...... Ha ha.
Hey Len - I have been smoking my meds religiously ;) :lol: :twisted: :twisted: ...and it is always a good month in Stellies!

Juan, why are you opposed to the suicide front? It is hard to do much else on a T-bucket. You could run a spring perch that extends over the axle that will at least keep it off the ground in the event of a spring failure and allow you to still have steering and braking. In terms of safety issues I don't think this worry needs to be a big one compared with getting good suspension and steering geometry and drive-ability.

Wheels are personal, but are integral to stance and look. Overwheeled cars can look odd AND give you handling/road manners issues. A T-bucket is short and light which needs to be kept in mind when making this choice....

Besides handling and proportion, I also tend to have a heavy right foot (why the hell else would we like bent-eights!) and that means something is going to give some time. I like the weak link to be between the tar and road - buying new rubber is MUCH less painful than breaking drivetrain components. 8O 8O :lol:
Barry

Metalshaping courses, Replacement panels, Full Builds, General Fabrication.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garag ... 2857822743

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 01 Aug 2013, 13:17

Welcome to the forum.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

C-Body Barge

Post by C-Body Barge » Thu 01 Aug 2013, 17:45

Welcome, hope you enjoy the build.
I cant wait to one day have a build like this where you have complete freedom to do as you want.
Hot rodders recycle, where's those prius' going when the greenies have a new fad.

Juan Mouton

Post by Juan Mouton » Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:31

Thanks guys

Social Media