Pics as promised

A place where new members can introduce themselves and the forum members can get to know them.
Forum rules
Please the introduction first.

When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Include your real location in your user profie please.
Glen

Re: Pics as promised

Post by Glen » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:34

streetfighter wrote:Thanx bigblock, gonna try and hook a manual up.Does anybody know what other manual boxes would be suited to the 350 motor?I have read that the Toyota Supra box (R154) is a pretty sturdy piece of kit, worthy of handling around 550 HP.Anyone got any experience with this unit?

Hi Kurt,

so what makes your 350 Chevy engine mean as per the power you claim i.e:550HP, V8 boxes work different to a normal 4/6 cyl car in the sense of power delivery so why think the TH350/400 cannot handle the power of the engine also differential in your Firenza is a key fact here with your build is there a L/S unit in the housing, Manual transmission is a prefference for e.g: you building a drift car supposedly i will understand choice of stick shift but in my opinion i would stick to an Auto TH350/400 good enough mate i experience this with my elky and according to specs from internet my engine pushes 280/300hp as it is in this form, so if you are not wanting to build a clone of the Little Chev "Can Am" then stick a TH350/400 in the Firenza unless you contemplate also on the tunnel and firewall:?: :?:

My 2cents worth in opinion 8)

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 17:07

Welcome Streetfighter, very nice Little Chevy project.

You're in good company here, enjoy the forum. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

streetfighter

Post by streetfighter » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 21:08

Thanx guys.
Glen, not sure what my 350 motor pushes out yet, but it is a fresh rebuild with 20 thou oversize Badger pistons, heads have been flowed, edelbrock performer intake, it has got a Holley, not sure if 650 or 750, and Jackson timing gear set-up.I suspect it should be quite mean.I had read that the Supra box is good for 550HP, so figured it should be more than adequate as manuals go.My firewall has been cut, so that the motor can sit further back.That was one of the problems with the original 302 with the motor sitting too far forward, resulting in poor handling, from what I believe.I have the original 2.5 diff.Most folks that I have spoken to rekon that is sufficient.I dont want to go too clone-ified, but it would be nice to have a manual box to feel what the beast was like, but on the other hand I hear what you say with regards to an auto box, and practicallity.Anyhow, really appreciate the input from all sides.

gordini

Post by gordini » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 22:30

Is this a Can-am :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

GRUNTY

Post by GRUNTY » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 22:53

Use a Supra box and enjoy real V8 power in a Kart. Weigh your car and you should see a great power to weight ratio with a mild 350.As long as you don't put stupid rubber on the back the rear should last awhile. Ideal would be a stronger rear setup with a mean LS then you should really have fun.Maintain the body as it is now and it should be a real sleeper.What fun can you then have. :lol:

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 22 Aug 2012, 07:29

streetfighter wrote:Thanx guys.
Glen, not sure what my 350 motor pushes out yet, but it is a fresh rebuild with 20 thou oversize Badger pistons, heads have been flowed, edelbrock performer intake, it has got a Holley, not sure if 650 or 750, and Jackson timing gear set-up.I suspect it should be quite mean.I had read that the Supra box is good for 550HP, so figured it should be more than adequate as manuals go.My firewall has been cut, so that the motor can sit further back.That was one of the problems with the original 302 with the motor sitting too far forward, resulting in poor handling, from what I believe.I have the original 2.5 diff.Most folks that I have spoken to rekon that is sufficient.I dont want to go too clone-ified, but it would be nice to have a manual box to feel what the beast was like, but on the other hand I hear what you say with regards to an auto box, and practicallity.Anyhow, really appreciate the input from all sides.
I think the Supra box will be ok for the 350, I dont like autos for the simple reason they reduce driving involvement to a degree, sure they are great for burnouts but driving a V8 with a manual is a different experience, blip the throttle on down changes etc. The standard axle may be ok for a while but my suggestion is to not fit massively wide rear tyres because them it will break. Strangely enough reports at the time seemed to commend the Can Am on having decent handling, the DZ302 was quite a light motor so weight distribution wasnt too unfavourable.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

TurboWalt

Post by TurboWalt » Wed 22 Aug 2012, 16:15

My two cents on the transmission. I'd try to go manual if at all possible. It keeps the spirit of your clone true. However, if your gonna drag race it I'd go auto.

Cheers, Walt

Social Media