fairmon GT mistreated

Post any parts or cars here that you discovered that could be useful to other forum members in future.
darral

fairmon GT mistreated

Post by darral » Tue 11 May 2010, 22:24

Hi guys. Found a 72 fairmont GT. Standing out in elements for 17 years. body badly rusted bonnet just about through, roof not to bad, no paint on the whole car just rust. Motor intact done no mileage since done up and balanced, heads gas flowed edelbrock with holley 4 barrel. all lights intact, all glass ok. dash the sun cracked to ribbons. cant open boot. Tyres flat and sunk into ground need to pull it out. Grass growing out grill. diff is ok. box is in need of assembly, all parts there and spares for the box. Going to tow the car on Thursday to my factory. the 2 Fairlanes are there aswell. Here comes the big question???> do i restore it or scrap it. THE WHOLE CAR IS INTACT. Just badly weathered (rusted) WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO? I want to restore her. maybe put all into a 6 cyl body? Any help wanted, thanks guys

Bearhawke

Re: fairmon GT mistreated

Post by Bearhawke » Wed 12 May 2010, 03:18

darral wrote:Hi guys. Found a 72 fairmont GT. Standing out in elements for 17 years. body badly rusted bonnet just about through, roof not to bad, no paint on the whole car just rust. Motor intact done no mileage since done up and balanced, heads gas flowed edelbrock with holley 4 barrel. all lights intact, all glass ok. dash the sun cracked to ribbons. cant open boot. Tyres flat and sunk into ground need to pull it out. Grass growing out grill. diff is ok. box is in need of assembly, all parts there and spares for the box. Going to tow the car on Thursday to my factory. the 2 Fairlanes are there aswell. Here comes the big question???> do i restore it or scrap it. THE WHOLE CAR IS INTACT. Just badly weathered (rusted) WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO? I want to restore her. maybe put all into a 6 cyl body? Any help wanted, thanks guys
If there is anything salvageable off that vehicle (especially GT specific parts); I would snag it if the price is right.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Rhayader

Post by Rhayader » Wed 12 May 2010, 04:10

what's the rust situation underneath? floors and rails, are the rusted out? in the boot? and what about the pillars? has it got all it's tags and the original running gear? auto or manual? power steer? Air con also, what is the original colour? Is the engine running? Depending on these things, it could be salvageable, and if the colour/options are a desireable combo I think it could be worth spending the required amount to repair it...?

There are some decent GT shells around, I know of one XY shell that is for sale in RSA. I haven't seen it, so can't vouch for the condition, but its engine has been removed stripped and some other GT parts taken off it (no front radiator support or tag, grille, shaker surround on bonnet, rear windscreen chrome trim, tail lights, gt trim on boot, dash and console). But the rest of it is there I'm told, and price is pretty friendly IMO... assuming they are all OK, you could use the boot lid, bonnet, doors, glass, interior stuff...

maybe post a couple of pics so we can assess the damage. Guys here like Frik and Rassie and Warren and Daan will tell you if they think it is fixable and worth doing :)

oh, and drop me a PM if you want the details on the parts car...

Cheers

Paul D.

mahleu

Post by mahleu » Wed 12 May 2010, 08:12

I'd keep it and wait for a rolling chassis to come up with the wrong engine or no engine and then swap everything across. Otherwise it depends on the rust. Bonnet isn't an issue but chassis, sills etc..... :cry:
That's how I roll. Down the hill 'cause the car won't start and the brakes don't work.

darral

Post by darral » Wed 12 May 2010, 18:34

Dig car out of dirt tomorrow and put some takkies on her, to load onto flat bed. Will then take some pics for you guys.

darral

Post by darral » Wed 12 May 2010, 18:37

Guys can have the whole car for nothing as long as i tow it away. Been on his case for three months

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Wed 12 May 2010, 19:09

The engine and trim alone is way more worth than the effort.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

darral

Post by darral » Wed 12 May 2010, 19:30

Hi really want to build her up used to be green. The aircon, motor and body parts are all there just rusted very bad. will inspect chassis when i get her out of her hole

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Wed 12 May 2010, 19:51

id say buy it and keep it away. im guessing u building up 1 fairlane already? so u will have another body to flog off, then you can look for a decent fairmont, and use the ruster as a parts car.
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

darral

Post by darral » Wed 12 May 2010, 20:13

Both Fairlanes running and in good condition. Mechanically sound now and ready to panelbeat and spray. Do not want to sell Fairlanes. They have taught my son patience and how to work on older cars.

Social Media