Seeking Projetcs? Look here.

Post any parts or cars here that you discovered that could be useful to other forum members in future.
Insomnia

Seeking Projetcs? Look here.

Post by Insomnia » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 16:40

WWW.MARMIC.CO.ZA

Check out the website.
Click on "CLASSIC CARS"

800+ possible projects.
As I understand these cars stood on a farm outside MELMOTH.
Thew few that's left on the farm is going for scrap by year-end.

I could be right ,I could be wrong.

Had a look on the website. Plenty nice and not so nice cars that ,could with TLC + Plenty MOOLA end up as works of art.

Graeme

Re: Seeking Projetcs? Look here.

Post by Graeme » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 16:50

Pretty interesting,I know some of the cars but that chrylser hearse has to be the nicest of the lot.
Cheers
Graeme
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 20:57

anyone know the location? would be nice to go have a look and take some pics.
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

Bearhawke

Post by Bearhawke » Wed 07 Oct 2009, 02:37

http://www.marmic.co.za/default.asp?lev ... &type=main

Note the RHD 1969 Ply Barracuda V8 convertible :mrgreen:

That car was built in Hamtramck (outside of Detroit) USA and probably sold new in the UK.

VIN BH27F9B250577 http://www.mymopar.com/decoder.htm
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

barry

Post by barry » Wed 07 Oct 2009, 04:19

Insomnia wrote:800+ possible projects.
As I understand these cars stood on a farm outside MELMOTH.
Thew few that's left on the farm is going for scrap by year-end.

I could be right ,I could be wrong.
Check out reply #9 in this thread:
http://sahotrods.com/forum/index.php?topic=794.0
"pietervd on SAHotrods" wrote:Not nearly as sad as the find at Melmoth. Originally part of a collection of around 800 cars at Utrecht (now legendary) and later sold to Marmic. Subsequently sold to the present owner at Melmoth.
Hope someone has details of the farm/owner where these are standing and is able to do something to save anything worthwhile that may be left there before they crush out.
I am unfortunately not in a position to do much right now - am looking for any '30's and 40's Ford chassis/suspension components though if it will help fund someone's time/effort.

Barry
just because you welded it - doesn't mean it's welded......

PaleMoonLight

Post by PaleMoonLight » Wed 07 Oct 2009, 09:00

That Barracuda looks niiiiiice! I WANT!

Clint

Post by Clint » Wed 07 Oct 2009, 09:40

I have been to this vintage scrape yard, about 5km before Melmoth, half a dozen times. There are probably 120ish vehicles there. They have not kept well at all, have been thoroughly picked over, rusted & dented to shit. I was there last in early September & there was a chap who had bought up all the Ford Corsair's they had left, five I think. He reckons he paid R1k a piece because as soon as the scrap metal price goes up.............. what’s left is getting trashed 8O I can try get their number if anyone wants it, but bear in mind these are not slap a coat of paint on & some fresh rubber rebuilds. Every single one is a complete tear down & start over project. The chap who bought the 5 Corsair's was only counting on salvaging 3 out of what was there & with a lot of parts sourcing maybe 4. If there is enough interest I might be persuaded to take a drive (90km from me) to get some pics for the forum. I have not considered it before cause it’s all "50 & "60 every day cars, no muscle & no great finds. Only a lot of hard graft. Let me know 8)

Led

Post by Led » Wed 07 Oct 2009, 10:28

I phoned marmic once for a bike they had.

They wanted R120 000 for the bike (not worth that price). So I never went back to them for anything.
deja moo: "the feeling you get when you know you've heard this BULL before"

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 20:46

It's been more than 7 years since this topic was posted.

But does anyone know what happened to the cars at Marmic in KZN?
Were they eventually all sold off, or are there still some wrecks left?

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9886

Mountainman

Post by Mountainman » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 14:58

Hi. I bought my Thames panel van from there, but in hindsight it was not worth it.
Took a bunch of pics and saw some really awesome cars that was well beyond saving. It seems Marmic bought all the cars from the guy in Utrecht, kept the best to sell off, and sold the rest to the gent at Melmoth.
The cars sat outside for most of their time without any protection, and as a result rust took most of them. I remember an El Camino complete, but the entire load bed was gone. The supports remained.
As I've said, most cars were beyond saving, but it was weird to see them in such bad shape, yet the chrome still looked reasonable, and light lenses and windows etc still intact. Open the bonnets and the engines were complete.
I am of the opinion that although very few cars could have been saved, there was an absolute treasure trove in spares, yet the owner was not willing to part out, but sold only complete cars. Taking into account transport costs to bring a car back to Joburg was not economically viable.
I have not been back in that direction lately, but looking at Google Earth images of about two years ago, the site is completely clean with no cars there.
My assumption is that in the end, most of them were collected by a scrap metal dealer and could now be a new Tata. Or a Toaster.

Social Media