When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
FairmontGT
Site Admin

Re: Content: Ford Sierra XR8

Post by FairmontGT » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 20:14

That will be awesome Daan. I must say I like the Sierra because it is so ugly. It is not pretentious, just an ordinary looking car with a big V8 in it. Precisely what I like about muscle cars.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 27 Jul 2007, 20:44

I do have some pictures of XR8's I can post but am weary of copyright with regard to posting the actual road test...

I have been to look at about 15 XR8 so I think I am qualified to tell whats orginal and whats not....

My guide how to spot an orginal
: All were white and had black bumpers
: All had twin giant electic fans at the front
: All had oil coolers in the engine bay and NONE had high rise manifolds
: All had the unique rear wing that had the cut out for the windscreen wiper....have seen a fake that had a aftermarket wing which isnt quite the same.
: Interior...seats were of a velvet like material...not the same as standard Sierra seats.
: All had manual boxes
: 1984 cars had smaller fender flares than 85 models but all XR8s had these flares.
: The nose of the XR8 is longer than the std Sierra, saw good fake that would have fooled most people...nose was incorrect, had tacked an XR8 nose onto a std Sierra.

As for the Perana plate debate....really am bit tired of it all, all I can say is that yes the plates were differant and there were unique numbering cycles between V8 perana and 6 cylinder Perana's.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 27 Jul 2007, 20:50

Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 28 Jul 2007, 20:36

Thanks for the pics ZA perana - very nice. It seems the last one didnt come through. Is it a friend of your's car?

Regards

Tiaan

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 28 Jul 2007, 21:57

FairmontGT wrote: Thanks for the pics ZA perana - very nice. It seems the last one didnt come through. Is it a friend of your's car?

Regards

Tiaan

Was actually a car I saw at the Street Rod Nationals in East London, very orginal XR8....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 03 Aug 2007, 20:27

Thanks for the notes on spotting a real one. If you have been to look at so many xr8's do you not own one yourself yet? I see there is a very original looking one for sale in autotrader this week for R60k. Its too much for me at this moment, but I think I will be kicking myself in a few years.

I dont know what the copyright issues with posting road tests are, but.... they are posted everywhere on the ineternet and I havent seen anybody getting into trouble. For instance on moby302's website and on the fairmontGT.com website. But your welcome to play it safe.

Regards

Tiaan

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 03 Aug 2007, 22:19

That one was a particularly good example it seemed. I must be honest the XR8 while nice because its the only V8 Sierra in the world is a little underwhelming, whether the one we drove was a dud dont know but performance wasnt much to write home about, it sounded good but the power dropped off noticeably after 4500 rpm which I found dissapointing, the interior is nothing special.

Make no mistake I like them and nearly did buy one but I havent yet seen a really good one....or in otherwords an XR8 wouldnt be the car that would make me sell the Perana. Will post up futher driving impressions.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 04 Aug 2007, 09:20

If a car scares me the first time I take it for a test drive, Im usually sold. If it feels like an ordinary car, I also wouldnt be interested.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 04 Aug 2007, 12:24

FairmontGT wrote: If a car scares me the first time I take it for a test drive, Im usually sold. If it feels like an ordinary car, I also wouldnt be interested.

Thats the problem there isnt enough special about the XR8, yes it sounds fabulous and yes its a very rare car but the one we drove wasnt special enough, wasnt scary but then it was dark and one doesnt get as good an idea of how fast one is heading towards the horizon. Added to this the suspension felt very soft, again some work in this dep would prob have made the car feel a lot better.

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt mind an XR8.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 11 Aug 2007, 18:20

Just with regards those "Manufactured by Basil Green" supposed fraudulent plates, you can l;ook on the Border Streetrod forum where there has been an extensive and factual discussion about the issue with threats and all the unhappiness that goes with an argument. There could not have been up to BG 187 which is as seen in real with fraudulent plates. Also the Alan Poulter historic racer which was a MK 2 Cortina Perana original shell he built the race car from as well as his road MK2 Perana both have "Manufactured by...." plates. These obviously were just prior to the Capri's and we suspect as from aproximately BG 190 the wording changed as yes correct Ford manufactured the components. Yes BG also manufactired some stuff but used Ford manufactured main components and enginnered the conversion.

I'd suggest have a look there as one member went into it and has presented actual fact information to clear this confusion.

http://serve3.serve-hosting.net/~border ... opic=151.0

Social Media