Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
ZA Perana

Content: Ford Sierra XR8

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 21 Jul 2007, 11:26

Another unique SA car was the Ford Sierra XR8. Built to homologate the car for racing, FORD SA made 255 of these monsters in the period 1984-85.

The car was fitted with many unique components and remains the only V8 powered Sierra ever manufactured by Ford.

By creating a unique and longer nose Ford were able to put the 302 W from the Mustang into the Sierra engine bay, though the Essex V6 waterpump was used due to clearance probs with the 302 W water pump. To combat overheating two giant electric fans were fitted but despit the XR8's often overheat....

A new crossmember had to be made up, new dampers and springs were used, at the reat a modified Granada diff was used.

Wheels were custom made in Germany by Ronal, brakes were upgraded Teves items.

Power was rated at 161kW and Torque was 354NM, enough to power the car to a 231 km/h and a 0-100 in 7.5 sec....

Can provide more info if anyone is interested?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Re: Content: Ford Sierra XR8

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 21 Jul 2007, 15:25

That is one of the cars I still need to add - when I get time to figure my new editing software out. Do you maybe have a road test?

Thanks

Tiaan
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 21 Jul 2007, 16:58

FairmontGT wrote: That is one of the cars I still need to add - when I get time to figure my new editing software out. Do you maybe have a road test?

Thanks

Tiaan

I do indeed have a road test.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Mon 23 Jul 2007, 09:09

Hi, can you provide us with an electronic version of the road test, do you maybe have pictures and details on how to verify that it is a true XR8?

Regards

Tiaan

magda

Post by magda » Mon 23 Jul 2007, 20:01

Hi

I would like to know how to identify a true Capri Perana. I was led to believe that there is a difference on the id-plates between the Capri and Granada Peranas.

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Mon 23 Jul 2007, 20:42

Hi Magda,

They basically look the same. A lot of plates were lifted off Granada’s to be fitted to fake Capri’s. The first give a way would be the bottom r/h corner of the plate: D/A = Date of Assembly. It would represent the year and month of ass. Ie. 72 6. (June 1972) The last Capri was made in 1973 and the first Granada Perana in 1974/75. Secondly a high serial number for a 1970 model for instance would also be suspect.
A lot of fake plates would also read: MANUFACTURED BY…which is not true, as Basil Green never manufactured Capri’s, Ford did.

Can supply more info if needed.

Cheers
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 08:37

I have seen a lot of fake plates, well all the perana cars I have looked at to buy had fake plates. So there are a lot in circulation. I dont really want to post them, as the guys making fakes will just then make better fakes.

Magda, I will pm you pictures of a real and a fake.

Regards

Tiaan

magda

Post by magda » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 14:00

Thanks guys. I'll check the date on the Granada. The plate is the same as the Capri's so at least I know what to look at.

I believe the Sierra's can also be identified by some numbering system and because of the speed, etc. I don't think there is many left! Regte "NOS" karretjie (without having to add nitro's).

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 15:33

I regulary see some XR8s for sale, and would like to own one, but as long as I dont really know what to look for I might be buying a backyard conversion - I have seen several of those.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 19:16

Tiaan
I have a friend here who own a original XR8 from new. Tried many tricks to get him to sell but no luck. He mentioned some things to look for. I remember he said something about removing a head light and a date stamp on radiater panel. I may be wrong here so let me ask him and at the same time get a few detailed pics of what is required. His car is original and a everyday driver.
Daan

Social Media