Datsun Laurel Interceptor

IndianaJones

Datsun Laurel Interceptor

Post by IndianaJones » Sat 24 Sep 2011, 21:01

Hi guys

Recently I received a book, titled "Cranked Up, confessions of a petrolhead", as a gift.
Included in the book, is a database of all the road tests done by CAR Magazine between 1957 and 2010.

Because I don't know of another forum with the collective knowledge of 70's and 80's cars as this one, I'm posting my question here, hope you don't mind.

Among the models tested by CAR magazine, there are 2 Datsun Laurel cars, and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on them.

First there was a roadtest on a "Datsun Laurel 280L Interceptor" in the January 1981 issue, it had a 2831cc 6cylinder engine, which made 155kW.

Then there was a roadtest on a "Datsun Laurel 280 Interceptor Turbo" in the March 1982 issue, it had a 2753cc 6cylinder engine, which made 198kW.

Does anyone know anything about these cars? Where they police specials/highway patrol cars, like they have in the USA?

From a search on this very forum, I have found that were in fact a Laurel racing in Production Cars at the time. Were there any similarities between the cars?

Thanks guys

IndianaJones

Re: Datsun Laurel Interceptor

Post by IndianaJones » Thu 29 Sep 2011, 20:26

Looks like these were very scarce cars, 54 views and no replies.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good South African forum or bulletin board that focuses on 70's and 80's "other make" cars.

Or maybe even a Datsun/Nissan collector that may know something about these cars.

The only South African forums that I've found for German and Japanese classic cars all feature "rice'd / zoopedup / bling'ed" cars, built by Generation Z "youngsters".
Whilst I'm hoping to find a "baby boomer" that might have seen these cars in their heyday.

Thanks

turbo-gp

Post by turbo-gp » Fri 30 Sep 2011, 08:26

My cousin owned one many moons ago. I was still very young but vividly remember an illegal drag race between this Laurel and a BMW 325is . Needless to say i had lots of respect for the Nissan after that race 8) . My cousin joined the police force a few years later and the laurel was sold to an old man who cherished that car and thats the last heard of it. :(

turbo-gp

Post by turbo-gp » Fri 30 Sep 2011, 08:31

oh, forgot to mention that my cousin bought the car from the dealer principal at intercity in boksburg.

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Fri 30 Sep 2011, 19:02

Thanks turbo-gp, do you remember any details about the car?
Was it a dealer special? Did it have a special body-kit, or different mag wheels? Was it the turbo version?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 01 Oct 2011, 21:39

I have both road tests somewhere.....they were never availible for sale to the general public, they were built especially for the police and highway patrol. The one had a normally aspirated motor with weber carbs and the other had a a similar set up with a turbo.

How many were made is most likely not know, how many surivived, well I dont imagine too many. If I recally correctly the one version had a LS diff and the other didnt.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 02 Oct 2011, 16:06

Thanks ZA Perana, that's very interesting.
Wonder how turbo-gp's cousin got one then... :D

turbo-gp

Post by turbo-gp » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 09:44

I know the car wasnt turbo'ed. I was young so my attention to detail was minimal. :oops:
The guy at intercity nissan boksburg( not sure what the dealerships name was back then) pulled some strings to get the car and then upgraded to a nissan 300se maxima ,he still wasnt keen to get rid of the laurel.
My cousin drove the car like he stole it and when he eventually sold it ,it was in a sad state.
Anyhow, thats about all I remember. Sorry for not being more helpful.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:50

My wifes cousin had one when he was in the Traffic Dept. They then moved on to the Granada Ghia and he was given a Skyline with a Jr's freeflow pipe that sounded awsome and it had a mother of a Nudge bar up front to push anything that was causing obstruction.They were mostly automatics. I dont have any info sorry.
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

turbo-gp

Post by turbo-gp » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:59

I miss those skylines with nudgebars. they were awesome!!!

Social Media