MAZDA Rx-2

NSURo80

MAZDA Rx-2

Post by NSURo80 » Sun 30 Aug 2009, 12:45

Hi. I am in the process of restoring a 1972 Rx-2 sedan. I will even be using the period 12A twin distributor rotary engine. Anyone know where I can find a dash pad for the car? South Africa was the only country to assemble rotary cars outside Japan! Also the Mazda Capella RS was an unique RSA creation that put much bigger cars to shame between traffic lights. I want to relive the 'RAAAASP!' and see 170km(h in 3rd gear.

gordini

Re: MAZDA Rx-2

Post by gordini » Sun 30 Aug 2009, 15:13

You forgot the 11000rpm :roll: :roll: :lol:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Sun 30 Aug 2009, 20:33

post some pics up under the restoration section! those old rotary's are awesome, to bad so few have survived the years.
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

NSURo80

Post by NSURo80 » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 10:13

Yep 11,000 rpm is very dramatic and great fun. :lol: Like driving a motor cycle with four wheels. But a tad too high for rotor bearing longevity, eats up the babbit white metal. Best is to stick to 8500rpm max. ;) For higher "howling", the oil galleries of the excentric shaft has to be modified, the journals clearanced, rotors lightened and clearanced, the stationary gears hardened etc etc. As for me and my budget, I have four sons and a bond! So extensive expensive mods to the engine is a no-no. :(

The reason for the Rotary depletion on our roads, was cars on roofs or wrapped around trees. The engine performance was not complemented by a performance chassis or brakes. Not that build quality was exactly equal to a Benz! :) Pictures coming soon!

madrx

Post by madrx » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 11:51

RX2 parts are getting hard to find now.I think the model you have has got what is called the T dash.Have you got the top dashpad or is it missing ? Best to get it recovered if it is there. I had a 76 Capella Rotary with a 13B monster bridgeport motor with 51 IDA carb, etc.My last one was a 72 Series one coupe.It looked fairly stockish but had heaps done to it like all custom suspension,13B PP motor ,etc.A long list of mods.I sold it as over here you get harrassed by the cops because it is classed as a 'boy racer car' and I hardly used it because of that.I will try and load some pics.
Picture 250.jpg
Picture 251.jpg
Picture 256.jpg
Picture 254.jpg
Picture 275.jpg

NSURo80

Post by NSURo80 » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 12:03

Hi Madrx

Many thanks for the pics! Yes your Rx-2 does look quite stock, which is the way to go if you want keep the heritage of the car. My car is a series I with the earlier style dashboard and high rise seat backs. The round tail lights are made by Hella in South Africa. There was already a big local content on this car, for example the front brake calipers are Girling South Africa twin pot non-floating type. Also the calipers are in the front of the disc instead of the Jap rear of the disc. I was lucky enough to source a Jap front steel bumper, which is solid, whereas the SAF stuff was three piece.

My previous Rx-2 was a series IV Coupe with a 12A Rx-7 motor. I do not miss the car, for it was becoming crappy and worse for wear. But I miss the performance.

madrx

Post by madrx » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 12:46

This one is a Jap model.I got it with a stuffed motor ,12A twin dizzy, it had some rust around the rear window and also had an aftermarket sunroof.I should have restored it to original but had different ideas back then.Worth alot more standard than modified.The last model Capella Rotary were not sold here in NZ in either sedan or coupe.Aussie only got about 400-600 sedans.I have seen coupes in Japan but they have the mirrors on the front of the guards like some early RX7s.My first Capella was my daily driver aswell, good fun filling it up every 3 days to make the trip to work.Never gave me alot of trouble.I sold it and it ended up as a racecar and written off.Parts are still availiable but are getting up in price like all older carparts do.

NSURo80

Post by NSURo80 » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 13:00

Any idea where I could find a Rx-3 engine crossmember, the one that bolts to the front stabiliser bar bolts? :D It is for the Rx-3 S102A racer mentioned on this forum under "Race Cars". No Rx-3s sold here. Two or three R130 Luces, Three Cosmo 110S, some R100s and maybe 2600 locally built Capellas series I through IV, some Luce GRIIs with the 12A single dizzy engine. Some Rx-7s series I to III. Very little Rx-7 Series IV. No official V or VI sales.

Two R130 Luces and two Cosmos still exist. One R100 in pristine condition. ;)

gordini

Post by gordini » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 16:34

Check out this link

In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

madrx

Post by madrx » Sat 05 Sep 2009, 04:35

What sort of money do you want to spend as I can get crossmembers here starting from about NZ$150 and then still shipping ontop of that.I can get some pics up and maybee you can make one as it is not a major part like an RX2 crossmember.

Social Media