MGC Roadster MONSTER

Gavin RS

MGC Roadster MONSTER

Post by Gavin RS » Tue 06 Nov 2012, 16:51

Hi Guys

Have not been on the forum for a while.Thought I would post a frinds car up on the site as it is something special.

It is a 1969 MGC Roadster that was built quite some time ago and fitted with a Rover V8 (SD1 motor) but slightly oversized to just over 4.0ltrs and fitted with a Rovertech intake manifold and quad Weber carbs.
Anyway the car was run as is for a while. I have been in the car a number of times and it was certainly fast, i had a Triumph TR7 V8 3.9lt Rover V8 which was very fast but trhe MG was always quicker when we had a drag race and top end run.

About 2 years ago by friend decided to strip the car down completely to fix some minor rust. he slowly went to town and re assembled the car with everything new. the restoration is out of this world as his attention to detail is second to none. the underside was completely refurbished and the suspension was completely overhauled, Bilstein shocks and other upgrades, interior re trimmed with the std seats modified with more support and in Napa Leather. there is just too much to mention on this car.

The engine was totally stripped down and cleaned and all new bearings etc etc fitted BUT and I say BUT for a reason, the whole engine was put together in a such away that only the best handbuilt engines are assembled, it got the full balance and blue printing, the block was properly prepped, oil ways and all the usual mods that the racing Rover V8's got, the heads are a work of art. everything on the heads and manifolds were port matched and the valve train was blue printed to the T, combustion chambers cc'd exactly pushrods, lifter clearances, rocker shafts etc all put together precisely, the KS pistons are all the exact weight and the ring clearances are perfect. custom alloy radiator, oil cooler, breather tank electric water pump all fitted. size of the engine now is +-4.5 ltr

The car is now up and running and is a master piece, only the paintwork has not been touched. The motor is not fully run in as yet but thius past Sunday we went out for a bit of a run and all I can say is holy heck this thing is fast, think TVR Griffith but only faster.it drives like a brand new car with not a rattle or squeak and feels so solid and planted on the road at any speed, the acceleration is just awsome. in 5th gear at 120kmh on the speedo, foot down and within a few seconds it hits 220kmh but still pulling like train, (wont say where this was) revs were only taken up to 6000, it should be good for 7500rpm when properly run in
on acceleration the LS diff does its work properly, there was no standing starts as Greg does not like to abuse the car from pull off but I can say one thing, very few performance cars will stay with this MG, even at 220 it was smmoth and stable, OH and the brakes are awsome. definately a wolf in sheeps clothing as you can putter around in 5th without the motor stuttering , etc, it just pulls, not loud, has a very nice exhaust and sounds awsome when it is past 5000rpm. I have contacted Classic & Performance Car Africa to do an article, hope they do as it deserves to be seen.
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

needboost

Re: MGC Roadster MONSTER

Post by needboost » Tue 06 Nov 2012, 22:39

Hey Gav, this the guy that works at Tiger Wheels ?

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Wed 07 Nov 2012, 12:26

Hi Deon

Greg used to work there, he retired about 2 years ago. now taking on concours preparation and restoration of classics

Cheers

Gavin
2009 Ford Territory ST,

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Wed 07 Nov 2012, 17:44

Always liked the "Before the Plastic Grille" MG's!! :D :D
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Fri 09 Nov 2012, 09:52

Yes me too
2009 Ford Territory ST,

Social Media