The mighty 333....

Triplethree

Re: The mighty 333....

Post by Triplethree » Sun 19 Oct 2008, 23:24

This one looks like Dave Lyon's car! I have known about this one from 2 owners prior when it lived in Leeudoringstad (please don't ask me to show you this on the map! ) Number 116 of the advertised 204. There is no firm eveidence to prove 204 were ever produced though, BMW SA did advertise they were going to build them but that was in early '85 when Grp 1 racing was still on the go, when Grp 1 got canned I don't think they bothered with the 333 anymore, they had a new toy, the first 325 126kW "shadowline". The highest number VIN I have on register is #171. I also have #1, it still exists. The M&M figures are all wrong, they even clash with the incomplete numbers on the original BMW microfisches. The only real period racing was Robbi Smith in the Class B Wesbank one for '86, even then they tried to get it into Class A with the 3.5l engine but MSA wanted nothing of it

I track mine every now and again and I must add that on the circuit it feels unbalanced, a real throttle steer machine, that M30 engine makes it's presence known up front. I have driven 325iS's and they are streets ahead, razorlike by comparison, the lighter engine helps but the real reason is the all E30 M3 undercarriage, 5 lug hubs, links, dampers, springs, geometry "alles!".

Still a real cruiser though, a magic car to tour the countryside with (that is if you are sitting in front!), eats hills for lunch and gives all the current crop of hot hatches a real "skrik" in a straight line.

BTW, the trip came std with Pirelli P7's in 16" Mine still has the original spare.

How's this for "inflation" next to the current equivalent!

Carsick

Post by Carsick » Thu 08 Oct 2009, 09:37

Here is a pic of my black 333i ...

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu 08 Oct 2009, 11:06

Nice I had one of those then I went on to buy a Alpina B7,I still have the side stripes in a box somewhere
that I bought from Total BMW.Who does that 530 belong to next to yours.
Cheers
Graeme
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

Carsick

Post by Carsick » Thu 08 Oct 2009, 11:46

Hi Graeme

The BM in the background is an absolute beaut of an example. It belong to a guy that used to live in the same block as me in Cape Town... a real perfectionist when it came to his car. I will give you more info when I see you in JHB early November. Not sure how he feels about having his info posted on web.

Carsick

Post by Carsick » Thu 08 Oct 2009, 12:11

Graeme

There is a website www.firstfives.org where the owner of that same car in the background of my pic has an article about the car ...BMW M530 Motorsport Limited Edition

Look under photo archive/ BMW530MLE: The first M car ?

Wouldnt mind having it in my garage.

Tommie

Post by Tommie » Sun 28 Dec 2014, 19:42

I was the owner of a red BMW 333i for 18 years ( my ex drive the car for the last 10 years ) Sold the car to a guy in Somerset wes about 3 years ago in a original condition mags every thing except it was respray because the red fade. If only I can buy a 333 today for the same price !!!!! But ja sometimes you do stupid things ne .

Social Media