missing mopar

Doug Hirkham

Re: missing mopar

Post by Doug Hirkham » Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:59

If that 'Babyshit Green' heap is worth what they're asking, my Charger must be worth half-a-mill.

FranTheMan

Post by FranTheMan » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 13:41

I may be completely wrong but I'm pretty sure the then blue-with-flames Barracuda now belongs to my uncle. I seem to remember when he bought the car it was painted yellow, but the previous owner had sprayed it directly onto the flames so you could still make out the flame reliefs!

My uncle subsequently had it taken down to bare metal and resprayed in red. He also had the interior completely reupholstered and my dad did quite a bit of mechanical work on it, including converting it to automatic transmission. I believe my dad still has the original four speed and the car is still running on the chromed Cyclone rims!

Unfortunately, my uncle has lost interest in the car and it has been laid up in a garage in Goodwood for years now. Incidentally, just a few blocks away from where they live, there used to be another left hand drive small block Barracuda.

It was owned by an Eric something-or-other and also had a manual 'box. This car used to be a 273, but during some point in its life it was converted to a 318 Poly head motor, which is not correct for the car. My dad unsuccessfully tried to buy the car for many years, but the owner had delusions about exporting it to the States for "big money".

He ended up selling it to MotoStars and this is the very same lime green car they have for sale now. Originally it was painted a beautiful forest green metallic, which really suited the car. I agree with the other posters that this car is completely over priced, since it isn't numbers matching anymore and, frankly, it is "just" a small block Barracuda.

mantaray

Post by mantaray » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 14:53

Unfortunately, my uncle has lost interest in the car and it has been laid up in a garage in Goodwood for years now. Incidentally, just a few blocks away from where they live, there used to be another left hand drive small block Barracuda.

so it's still around then?
2003 GTI 4
2014 Jetta 6 TSI
1981 Chevair V8 350 ...in CPT with Jack
Rover hopefully twin turbo 305 soon
68 Valiant 200 - awaiting 318 V8 transplant
75 HQ Kommando - 350 V8

FranTheMan

Post by FranTheMan » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 16:36

it sure is, although i haven't seen it in a couple of years and have no idea in what condition it's in now. it has been garaged, but my uncle is not a 'car person' so it hasn't been decommissioned properly for storage. he doesn't seem to have any sort of plan for the car but i don't think he wants to sell it either. although, as with all 'non-car' people he probably will if someone makes him a good offer.

mantaray

Post by mantaray » Fri 18 Dec 2009, 06:21

i will be in C.T. early February, could i contact you , even if i could just see the car...........who knows?
i ultimately would love to restore a car like that in my dad's memory as he was a BIG mopar fan.
2003 GTI 4
2014 Jetta 6 TSI
1981 Chevair V8 350 ...in CPT with Jack
Rover hopefully twin turbo 305 soon
68 Valiant 200 - awaiting 318 V8 transplant
75 HQ Kommando - 350 V8

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Wed 24 Feb 2010, 15:23

Graeme wrote:Try motor stars in the Cape,They have a LHD baracuda with a floor shift with a 318.
The last time I saw the car it was a shocking green color with chrome wheels.That
car has been around awhile.
cheers
Graeme
the 318 is a old Polly sphere motor and the colour does not work
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
It's never junk, it's just a part you're not currently using

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

Social Media