Chev / Opel Ranger

bugga-ree

Chev / Opel Ranger

Post by bugga-ree » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 17:11

Hi

I've just bought a Ranger from this dude that needed to sell ASAP. I need some assistance with completing the job on the car.

There is a Rover 3.5 v8, Cressida 5spd box, dunno what diff

The Brakes : std with small discs in front and drums at the back.

I can post pics.
Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.

bugga-ree

Re: Chev / Opel Ranger

Post by bugga-ree » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 17:13

Does anybody know where i can locate the manual for this car?
Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 17:17

Welcome to the forum, you may find a manual difficult to obtain as this was SA's first supposedly home grown car, the mix being Opel and to a lesser degree Vauxhall if I recall correctly.

Zahistorics on the forum may be able to help.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 17:30

ZA Perana wrote:Welcome to the forum, you may find a manual difficult to obtain as this was SA's first supposedly home grown car, the mix being Opel and to a lesser degree Vauxhall if I recall correctly.

This was Operation Mayflower, that I was involved with from 1965 to 1966. Opel and Vauxhall were one and the same car with exception of trim. The Ranger had the McKinnon 2.5 liter motor and not the German OHC motor. Trim originally had the Springbok head on the bonnet and on the seats. Sold my 73 SS in 1984.
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 17:54

Johann65 wrote:
ZA Perana wrote:Welcome to the forum, you may find a manual difficult to obtain as this was SA's first supposedly home grown car, the mix being Opel and to a lesser degree Vauxhall if I recall correctly.

This was Operation Mayflower, that I was involved with from 1965 to 1966. Opel and Vauxhall were one and the same car with exception of trim. The Ranger had the McKinnon 2.5 liter motor and not the German OHC motor. Trim originally had the Springbok head on the bonnet and on the seats. Sold my 73 SS in 1984.
Very interesting Johann. I think the decision to go with the McKinnon motor was a good one as to this day they remain one of the most rugged and reliable motors. Any idea how it ended up being called Operation Mayflower as to me to the name Mayflower bring up iimmages of pilgrims setting sail for America.

I think the Ranger was a very brave project at the time and I still sometimes see a SS coupe and perhaps the rarest of all variant a station wagon.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

mahleu

Post by mahleu » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 19:02

bugga-ree wrote:Hi

I've just bought a Ranger from this dude that needed to sell ASAP. I need some assistance with completing the job on the car.

There is a Rover 3.5 v8, Cressida 5spd box, dunno what diff

The Brakes : std with small discs in front and drums at the back.

I can post pics.
That's a very nice combination of engine and gearbox. Light V8 plus strong 5 speed. If I had a car with no engine that's pretty much what i'd buy.
That's how I roll. Down the hill 'cause the car won't start and the brakes don't work.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 20:57

ZA Perana wrote: Very interesting Johann. I think the decision to go with the McKinnon motor was a good one as to this day they remain one of the most rugged and reliable motors. Any idea how it ended up being called Operation Mayflower as to me to the name Mayflower bring up iimmages of pilgrims setting sail for America. I think the Ranger was a very brave project at the time and I still sometimes see a SS coupe and perhaps the rarest of all variant a station wagon.
Those days the top management were state side with a few Brits and Germans making up the next level. I can only think the decision was theirs. I've heard of other codes, but this is the one that I re-call while I was part of the team.
My office was about 5 paces away from the project on the lower level. Saw it take shape with the Vauxhall 2000 grill, South African soft trim, Opel body and the Canadian Chevy II engine. So it was never realy a true South African Car.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 21:13

Johann65 wrote: Those days the top management were state side with a few Brits and Germans making up the next level. I can only think the decision was theirs. I've heard of other codes, but this is the one that I re-call while I was part of the team.
My office was about 5 paces away from the project on the lower level. Saw it take shape with the Vauxhall 2000 grill, South African soft trim, Opel body and the Canadian Chevy II engine. So it was never realy a true South African Car.
Great, its amazing that sheer scale of GM in the 60's and 70's in SA the developement of the Ranger, the Nomad and all the other projects, like the Firenza and all the other hybrids like the Chev SS. I must say one thing about the Ranger the basis shape still looks pretty good today but in all probability the best thing about them was the drivetrain which seemed to outlast pretty much anything.

If you think about it those were very different times, I couldnt see something like the Ranger ever happening today, in this corporate world....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 22:35

With Global marketing, it will never happen,
Phillips made in Taiwan, china, Nokia made in Hungary, You name it, it is made elsewhere!

RangerReg

Post by RangerReg » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 14:20

Johann65 wrote:

Oom Johann,
How to tell if a McKinnon vs standard 2.5L engine? I am hopefully going to taks a final look at the Ranger this week and if all OK take it :mrgreen:

Social Media