Can Am bonnets

ZA Perana

Can Am bonnets

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 19:37

I don't want to clutter up V8 Fan's thread hence this new one.

In my opinion all production Can Am's had black and white bonnets, evidence is shown about a car in an advert and a car in an initial drive having all black bonnets, these being quite probably one in the same cars, as made reference to in the 1973 Technicar Test "a GM promotional car". Note also the one on the advert does not have side sticker, indicating it would appear this car being half finished and in all probability a demo car.

What's also interesting to note is the date of the being mid way through 1973 implying the test unit was an early production car.

Below is the evidence I have to back up my argument, we have two totally original unmolested cars, both have black and white bonnets, then we have a UK based car, unmolested bar vauxhaul light and different wheels. Then we have a member of this forums car, also black and white bonnet, then we have another member of this forums car, Aus based, also black and white bonnet.

I simply cannot find any reference to any car ever leaving the factory with an all black bonnet, sure it is possible but its equally possible these bonnets have been sprayed countless times in 40 odd years....

There just not appear to me in my opinion to be enough of a sample of cars to say some had black bonnets, par perhaps very early cars but even then I don't imagine maybe more than 2 ever had black painted bonnets.

This is just the way I see it and really quite a pointless debate but hopefully it will be taken in the spirit of a debate and in no way is it meant with any malice at all.

Its always good to discuss and debate these things. :D
Attachments
Can Am ad.jpg
Can Am ad.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 8.jpg
Can Am 8.jpg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 6.jpg
Can Am 6.jpg (148.01 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 5.jpg
Can Am 5.jpg (90.3 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 4.jpg
Can Am 4.jpg (9.81 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 3.jpg
Can Am 3.jpg (107.21 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 2.jpg
Can Am 2.jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Can Am 1.jpg
Can Am 1.jpg (120.1 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Lookingforaproject

Re: Can Am

Post by Lookingforaproject » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 13:49

i've seen a blue chev firenza can am v8 in Bellville, Nothern suburbs, Cape Town and i took a photo while driving to check the plates and find the owner. But I lost the photo after a harddrive-crash... Anyone here who knows about 2door chev firenzas or can ams? For project use.
1976 Mercedes-Benz 230.4

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 14:00

Lookingforaproject wrote:i've seen a blue chev firenza can am v8 in Bellville, Nothern suburbs, Cape Town and i took a photo while driving to check the plates and find the owner. But I lost the photo after a harddrive-crash... Anyone here who knows about 2door chev firenzas or can ams? For project use.
Not Original!! Copy in Blue :D :D
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

ters

Post by ters » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 14:00

Lookingforaproject wrote:i've seen a blue chev firenza can am v8 in Bellville, Nothern suburbs, Cape Town and i took a photo while driving to check the plates and find the owner. But I lost the photo after a harddrive-crash... Anyone here who knows about 2door chev firenzas or can ams? For project use.
You have a private message ;) .

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

paulusvrotius1

Re: Can Am bonnets

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 16:42

There seems to be quite a few variations in the paint design of the bonnet, with and without pin stripes, white all the way to the front with a point or more square, White short of the front with a point, white front edge with or without a pin stripe.
Can these all be factory options?
One thing is clear, they all had black wing tops and the car with the black bonnet looks unfinished without them.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

antonvds

Post by antonvds » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 23:29

Hello All

The bonnets shown in above photos, have all been repainted, bar the vos canams. Interestingly, not one of the repainted white striped bonnets, have been correctly replicated. (bench marking the vos' canams).

We've posted a photo of a canam bought in 1974, (one year later), which was one of the last 18 sold, with a complete black bonnet.

In my opinion, both versions are correct, provided the correct detail of each version is copied.

My personal preference is the white striped bonnet, although the two canams I grew up with and also coincidentally bought brand new in 1974, had both black bonnets. My first canam, owned from feb1987 to oct2000, was complete black as well as my current one.

I am currently busy rebuilding a replica and have already painted the white stripe. I am however, still contemplating regarding the two options for my original canam's rebuild, once I get to that stage.

regards

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:10

antonvds wrote:Hello All

The bonnets shown in above photos, have all been repainted, bar the vos canams. Interestingly, not one of the repainted white striped bonnets, have been correctly replicated. (bench marking the vos' canams).

We've posted a photo of a canam bought in 1974, (one year later), which was one of the last 18 sold, with a complete black bonnet.

In my opinion, both versions are correct, provided the correct detail of each version is copied.

My personal preference is the white striped bonnet, although the two canams I grew up with and also coincidentally bought brand new in 1974, had both black bonnets. My first canam, owned from feb1987 to oct2000, was complete black as well as my current one.

I am currently busy rebuilding a replica and have already painted the white stripe. I am however, still contemplating regarding the two options for my original canam's rebuild, once I get to that stage.

regards
Thank you for chiming in on this, Anton.

Yes, you and I who saw these cars in the flesh know exactly what was and what wasn't.

It is, unfortunately, exactly this type of speculation posted online that tends to set (incorrect) standards for future enthusiasts, in so far as these limited number homologation specials are concerned. I can already see incorrect information regarding the legendary Opel SuperBoss creeping into the forums too.

My cousin's Can-Am also had a plain black bonnet when he bought it new...not sure if he bought it in '73 or '74.

I can't remember, however, whether the tops of his front fenders were painted black though.

You should stick to the original colour colour scheme on your bonnet, despite what is dictated by public opinion :D
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Tue 25 Nov 2014, 15:37

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by VOS Canams?
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Tue 25 Nov 2014, 16:31

paulusvrotius1 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by VOS Canams?
http://www.cartorque.co.za/0318.htm
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

Social Media