Opel Superboss

Killarney Racer

Opel Superboss

Post by Killarney Racer » Sat 01 Jun 2013, 16:08

Some advise would be appreciated from one of you guru's.

When exactly was the Superboss (not Boss) launched (month/year)?

What was the difference in engines between the Boss and the Superboss? Was the twin cam head only developed and used on the Superboss?

Thanks

pas-chill

Re: Opel Superboss

Post by pas-chill » Sat 01 Jun 2013, 18:12

Opel in S.A. made the Kadett 2.0 8valve Boss (95kW), the 2.0 16valve Big Boss (115kW) and the variation of the Big Boss called the Superboss with 125kW.
The Superboss was a Big Boss with special Schrick 276* camshafts, a computer box that is modified by Promotec which has a different map and rev limit, 10mm lower suspension, 7J X 15" Aluett rims and various other bits that are non-performance related (ie. little badges on the seats, rolled wheel arches, etc.)
I believe they were launched in 1989.
Some people believe that only the Superboss had the different Coscast head as opposed the the mass produced GM head but I've seen plenty of "normal" 16V's with Coscast heads and SB's with GM heads.

I actually used to buy and sell a lot of Superboss parts in South Africa when i lived there.

Here's one of the articles that I had published in the U.K. Total Vauxhall magazine (when I moved to London) .
It's one of the SB's that belong to a friend of mine in Jhb.

and here's a pic of a Corsa ute that I built about six or seven years ago, it has a genuine Superboss motor.
(It has no relevance to the topic, I'm just bragging, LOL)

Social Media