Who built Granadas for SA?

Uk Perana 0884

Who built Granadas for SA?

Post by Uk Perana 0884 » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 11:12

Seems like a really stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway?

I have had a message from a fellow Perana owner who resides in Norway! (The guy apparently has four, 2 Saloon Peranas and 2 Coupe Peranas) He's told me that contrary to my understanding, Granadas weren't built and shipped from Europe to SA but were in fact built in a Ford factory south of the Equator! I did a considerable amount of digging before I bought my car and was 100% convinced it was built in Cologne then shipped. It's a RHD Coke bottle Perana so I know it's a bit of a rarity but for my own interest I'd love to know. There's no history with my car but it has the matching numbers body and engine block with tags and correct SA Log book. Eventually I'd like to show it and having a good back story always interests people.

Any input about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :D

IndianaJones

Re: Who built Granadas for SA?

Post by IndianaJones » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 13:23

Technically, South Africa is south of the equator.

Someone correct me here, but AFAIK Granada's like a lot of small Fords sold in SA, were imported in CKD(Complete Knock-Down) form, and then assembled here.

Granada's were sourced from Germany, and assembled in the SA Neave(Port Elizabeth) plant.
AFAIK, Perana's were constructed from PE assembled 3.0L cars.

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 17:58

IndianaJones wrote:Technically, South Africa is south of the equator.
Someone correct me here, but AFAIK Granada's like a lot of small Fords sold in SA, were imported in CKD(Complete Knock-Down) form, and then assembled here. Granada's were sourced from Germany, and assembled in the SA Neave(Port Elizabeth) plant.
AFAIK, Perana's were constructed from PE assembled 3.0L cars.
Body panels CKD were assembled at Neave Township and Painted here. Very similar setup as at GM Kempston Road!
Even had a tractor plant! Fordson! Truck Plant built near General Tyre! Berney Mariner built Ford's first Cortina Mk I pickup as test build then!
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Uk Perana 0884

Post by Uk Perana 0884 » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 23:45

Thanks very much for that information.

Answers the question but raises another about the 'Coke Bottle'. From my knowledge of the UK market they were never sold here, I believe there may have been one or two test vehicles but none sold to the public. The fact that there were possibly five built in SA as RHD they must have been special order at the factory in Germany, the back end is a completely different shape to the UK car. Makes me wonder why they weren't sold here?

Probably too racey for the 'uptight' Brits in the '70's?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Wed 22 Jul 2015, 08:05

Uk Perana 0884 wrote:Answers the question but raises another about the 'Coke Bottle'.
The fact that there were possibly five built in SA as RHD they must have been special order at the factory in Germany, the back end is a completely different shape to the UK car.
The "Coke Bottle" Granada's weren't "special order", it was simply the early model cars.

From Wikipedia:
" The early (1972–73) coupé had slightly different sheet metal; a more pronounced coke bottle styling. In 1974 the coupé was revised, with more straight lines."

That's why there are so few "Coke Bottle" Granada Perana coupes, the body style were virtually only available to SA, for the 1973 model year.

BTW, would love to see photos of your car.
Uk Perana 0884 wrote:completely different shape to the UK car. Makes me wonder why they weren't sold here? Probably too racey for the 'uptight' Brits in the '70's??
Remember you had 2 door "Coke Bottle" Cortina Mk3's , which were never sold in SA.

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Sat 29 Aug 2015, 18:43

I remember doing a school tour of the Neave assembly plant at the time the first Granada's were being built and weren't available in the showrooms yet. They were 'coke bottle' style and I remember thinking what a nice looking car it was. My Dad also worked there for a number of years as a tool maker. That's why we emigrated to PE in 1970.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

Social Media