Capri perana v8

Wiggy333

Re: Capri perana v8

Post by Wiggy333 » Sun 18 Jan 2015, 07:52

Hi all, Indiana jones sorry smcka seem to have closed and the Perana used different mounts due to its crossmember. On top of that you have years of add ons which I don't know are right or wrong. Top strut mounts are accessible re manufactured but not looking standard. Keith

Wiggy333

Post by Wiggy333 » Wed 27 May 2015, 09:24

Hi all, So finally decided to fix my clutch issues and what a can of worms. Firstly it would be really nice to know from this forum the right way to remove the motor and gearbox. I'm mechanically minded with a hoist forklifts(engine crane) etc. But jees it was hard, the main problem was the starter motor which was in the way every step of the process. Could not remove it so decided I would drop the crossmember and go up with the body and down with the crossmember few things too hard so went up with the motor and out but it was so tight and that bloody starter motor!!! It seems to me that if the starter goes its an engine out proposition to fix which made me go crazy(fortunately i have two wrecks and i mean wrecks that got a few boots from my frustration figuring out what to do), anyway it came out sort of OK but more info would be helpful regarding pitfalls so as to do no damage. So my clutch is out but what can replace it? Its a weird looking thing with three arms and springs. Can anyone tell me what to replace it with and why it might have slipped then would not go into gear at all? It is 255mm diameter and 10 spline but not the little fingers i am used to seeing doing clutches. The clutch plate doesn't look too worn and everything seems like it had far more wear than the symptoms i have experienced.
Anyway don't want to have to do it again so any suggestions of doing it right first time would be greatly appreciated. Keith

V8 fan

Post by V8 fan » Wed 27 May 2015, 20:44

Good day mate!

Thought I would just ask the question but do you still have the original box fitted - Top loader 4-speed?

If so, you shouldn't have any problems finding parts for it including clutch items.....

Although not the clutch assembly you're after, here's a pic or two of a forum member's thread on selling his Top loader gearbox and Hurst shift kit - last mentioned is definitely what I would put in :D :D

Btw, if you still need some more parts "down under", I have a mate whom lives near to Melbourne. He's big into V8's and power boat racing. He always brings me engine/service parts which I struggle to find elsewhere.

Cheerio ;) ;)
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8
'65 Ford Mustang Convertible
'72 Landy SWB "88 series 3

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep
'73 Pontiac Grand Prix 400

V8 fan

Post by V8 fan » Wed 27 May 2015, 22:38

Oops, forgot the link.......

Here it is:

http://africanmusclecars.com/forum/view ... 12&t=19283

;)
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep

Wiggy333

Post by Wiggy333 » Thu 28 May 2015, 02:06

Hi yes it has the original 4 speed top loader and also has the hurst shifter. It has a 255mm clutch which is the long series clutch(three finger) type but am wondering if I can use a newer diaphragm type clutch? Would I have to modify anything to get one to fit?
Keith

Wiggy333

Post by Wiggy333 » Thu 28 May 2015, 10:26

Hi all, I have pulled all the clutch out and replaced seals under the motor while I'm at it. Bought a new clutch today not all that hard. But thing is my old clutch is almost new with no real signs it should fail. So i think my problem is the master cylinder and slave cylinder leaking which loses the clutch force and eventually why i couldn't get it into gear(people played with it and it got worse) but that doesn't explain why it would slip to start with and only when it got hot in the middle of summer here in OZ. I can't get my head around why with all the clamping force a clutch has and hydraulic leaks why it would not take all pressure off the clutch pressure plate and make the clutch grab. The heat would stop the clutch working within 10minutes of driving and hit a hill in first gear and i would not have got it home. The disk is not really glazed and the flywheel is perfect also the thrust bearing is fine. So love to know best solution so it doesn't happen again. Keith

V8 fan

Post by V8 fan » Thu 28 May 2015, 17:58

Hello Keith

I'm no expert on Perana's as I don't own one (hopefully soon) - one thing's for sure, both the Capri Perana and Chevy Can-Am have their engines fitted very tightly into the engine bay.

As you mentioned in your last post, someone in the past had worked on the clutch assembly and might have modified it in some way - perhaps you should ask some of the other Perana-owners on this forum to send you some pic's of the standard piping lay-out for master to slave cylinder.

As a meanwhile, check for the following too:

It could be that the hose is too near to the exhaust/headers - do you have the original rubber hose or a braided one fitted?

If rubber, perhaps you should look at replacing it - might be expanding while under pressure due to age, wear and offcourse the heat near headers.....

Drain the existing brake fluid and make sure you do use DOT 4 fluid.

Lastly, I'm sure you know how to bleed but make sure you have a buddy or the missus to do this properly. When pumping, make sure you have the slave bleed valve shut tightly and that there's always enough fluid in reservoirs. When pressure is holding and before bleeding the air, make sure the person in car is continuing to push on the pedal and while you bleed the air/fluid, that he keeps on pushing till all the way to the floor - then shut before he lets off the pedal. Continue this until no more air in system - shouldn't be more than 2- 3 cycles.

Hope this will help ;) ;)
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep

V8 fan

Post by V8 fan » Thu 28 May 2015, 18:15

I see that the Perana's all had brake boosters - check that the vacuum/pressure hose from the carbie is also not leaking or blocked...
Attachments
10350401_800597129975336_7550492783208276059_n.jpg
10350401_800597129975336_7550492783208276059_n.jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 8218 times
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep

Wiggy333

Post by Wiggy333 » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:43

Hi All, can anyone confirm if the Perana Capri V8 was a Boss motor (Boss 302) or just a standard 302 Windsor, It seems to have windsor heads but so much talk about it being a Boss motor from 69-70 Mustang? All i can really find is that it used a Boss 302 Intake manifold. I just want to know how much Boss is in Perana. Keith

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 31 May 2015, 17:51

Wiggy333 wrote:Hi All, can anyone confirm if the Perana Capri V8 was a Boss motor (Boss 302) or just a standard 302 Windsor, It seems to have windsor heads but so much talk about it being a Boss motor from 69-70 Mustang? All i can really find is that it used a Boss 302 Intake manifold. I just want to know how much Boss is in Perana. Keith
Definitely NOT a Boss 302 motor, that was a very different motor, especially in respect of heads. The intake manifold was ordered from the Ford Performance catalogue, in essence that, the cam were part of what was called the "Ford Muscle Power kit".

Regarding clutch, its actually possible to remove it with the engine in place.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media