Killarney Passion for Speed - 7 Feb

Racing history organised by manufacturer
CanAm17

Re: Killarney Passion for Speed - 7 Feb

Post by CanAm17 » Thu 06 Feb 2014, 17:09

I battled to tell the difference between this so called premier race meeting and a normal regional race meeting.
Jacques, an enormous amount of effort has gone into this "premier" meeting. A usual regional meeting may see 25 Classics on the grid if you're lucky, 30 if it's exceptional.
ON saturday we have 62 entries in Pre 77 across all classes and have had to split into two races to accommodate everybody with a third heat combining all survivors of the first two heats. 2 x CanAms, two, possibly more, Perana's (including the original A2) Grenada Perana (ex Pete Sherman) Corvette, etc etc.
Sorry if you've been disappointed in the past, but Saturday (besides pre 77) will also have ISP, Pre 66, Supercar Challenge (Ferrari, Porsche X-Bow etc) TT Bikes etc etc. so make a plan
1967 MGB GT V8
1973 Chev Firenza Can Am
1978 Ferrari 308 GTB
2010 Mini Cooper JCW

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 06 Feb 2014, 19:41

CanAm17 wrote:
I battled to tell the difference between this so called premier race meeting and a normal regional race meeting.
Jacques, an enormous amount of effort has gone into this "premier" meeting. A usual regional meeting may see 25 Classics on the grid if you're lucky, 30 if it's exceptional.
ON saturday we have 62 entries in Pre 77 across all classes and have had to split into two races to accommodate everybody with a third heat combining all survivors of the first two heats. 2 x CanAms, two, possibly more, Perana's (including the original A2) Grenada Perana (ex Pete Sherman) Corvette, etc etc.
Sorry if you've been disappointed in the past, but Saturday (besides pre 77) will also have ISP, Pre 66, Supercar Challenge (Ferrari, Porsche X-Bow etc) TT Bikes etc etc. so make a plan
Great I will definitely make a turn, looks like a great entry list, likely the strongest we have had down here in many years. :D
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 06 Feb 2014, 19:57

Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

gordini

Post by gordini » Thu 06 Feb 2014, 22:15

CanAm17 wrote:
Please PM me your cell number ;) ;) ;) ;)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 19:04

I managed to spend the afternoon at the track and it was well worth it, the 45 min race was great to watch, I don't think I have ever seen a race with more V8s in it. In fact 90% of the car in that particular race were V8s' Gt40s, Cobra Daytona's, Lola Spyder, Corvette.

Really enjoyed the day!
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

gordini

Post by gordini » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 19:39

Spend the day there...sunburnt and gatvo but nice racing :D :D :D :D Was it A2 that went into the tyres at Malmesbury :?: :?: :?: Bit far from us and when we went to the pits the car was gone :? :?
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 21:03

gordini wrote:Spend the day there...sunburnt and gatvo but nice racing :D :D :D :D Was it A2 that went into the tyres at Malmesbury :?: :?: :?: Bit far from us and when we went to the pits the car was gone :? :?
I left around 16.00 and as of 15.00 A2 was parked in the garage, didn't look damaged to me.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 22:16

Yep that was A2 and quite severely damaged as well. I doubt the car will return to the track, probably museum time now.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 22:23

Killarney Racer wrote:Yep that was A2 and quite severely damaged as well. I doubt the car will return to the track, probably museum time now.
That's a huge shame, especially considering how perfectly that car was restored. Agree its perhaps time for the car to head to the museum. That car of course was also crashed back in the day by Koos Swanepoel.

Any accident at Malmesbury is unfortunately likely to be a big one.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

CanAm17

Post by CanAm17 » Sun 09 Feb 2014, 09:50

Heat 1 of Classes S, A, B & C unfortunately saw some heavy damage to a few V8's. Robin Forbes' beaut Vette got T-boned by Ferdi Van Niekerk Senior in the Galaxy - both cars very tina. Ant Corin in A2 went into the tyre wall on the inside of Turn 3 with pretty heavy damage. The ex Pete Sherman Granada Perana went off at Turn 5 with some damage etc etc.
Can Am ran well, damaged seal on left drive shaft resulted in a lot of smoke through the turns, but we effected running repairs between the two races and Heat 2 saw no smoke. Need to hard chrome and machine the drive shaft to clean up some pitting and she should be right as rain again. Ended the day with 2nd place in both races, 2nd overall to Chris Carolin on the Capella Rotary that is going like a bullet at the moment. All in all, a fantastic event.
1967 MGB GT V8
1973 Chev Firenza Can Am
1978 Ferrari 308 GTB
2010 Mini Cooper JCW

Social Media