Turbocharging!!! How.....

All engine related suppliers, engineering, parts etc.
Black

Re: Turbocharging!!! How.....

Post by Black » Thu 07 May 2009, 17:32

Buy the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it would answer most of your questions.
Better spending R200-R300 getting basic down, because its gone cost more than you think. (it always does)

FordV6_Interceptor

Post by FordV6_Interceptor » Thu 07 May 2009, 18:08

Were can i find this book? cna?
Fastest On Roads Daily!

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Thu 07 May 2009, 18:42

Here's a link to a local forum maybe you should contact this guy he built a twin turbo V6

http://www.streetracing.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=956

Hope it helps

Warren Lotter

FordV6_Interceptor

Post by FordV6_Interceptor » Fri 08 May 2009, 06:39

Woah!!! I never knew an xr6 had been ever done up to that extent!! Wow! That car is an import motor tho. I wil contact him and get advice.

Thanx
Fastest On Roads Daily!

Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Thu 19 Nov 2009, 11:03

Sybie Coetzee of Nitro Performance in Brakpan is also a man that knows how to turbo a Ford.
His Datsub GX coupe with a Ford Turbo powerplant makes wicked power.

He should also be able to help out.

www.nitroperformance.co.za
011 740 1330

hanov0

Post by hanov0 » Thu 19 Nov 2009, 15:55

FordV6_Interceptor wrote:Woah!!! I never knew an xr6 had been ever done up to that extent!! Wow! That car is an import motor tho. I wil contact him and get advice.
Doubt that its an import, its an Essex , probably stroked to 3.8
Cheers
Hano'

For custom Aluminum work www.saicperformance.com

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 29 Nov 2009, 17:00

FordV6_Interceptor wrote:Woah!!! I never knew an xr6 had been ever done up to that extent!! Wow! That car is an import motor tho. I wil contact him and get advice.

Thanx

John Conchie of Alpine Developments has been turbo-charging Ford V6's as well as numerous other vehicles for some years. I believe he is in Pinetown.

This is an advertisement out of the July 1993 issue of Car Magazine. Don't know if some magazine ever tested one.

Apocalypse Boy

Post by Apocalypse Boy » Sun 04 Apr 2010, 09:46

I would try and steer away from a carb TURBO, if it's reliable power you're after, go EFI . You can remove the carb and just bolt on the boost pipe to the adapter plate, weld on 6 bungs for the injectors on the carb manifold and hey presto. It sounds easy enough, but you'd have to add a fuel pump and reg. timing pick-ups and management and..... BUT that's the way I'd go.

Now if you're head's stuck on going the carb way, you can do it 2 ways.

Blow throughAs previously stated, you build a little box around the carb ( so that the ENTIRE carb feels the same pressure increase )not just the throats, and add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator ( otherwise the boost will not allow the fuel to enter the float bowl at a sufficient rate.You'd have to set the jets on the 2'nd throat very rich to try and compensate for the boost, as there is no way to increase the fuel flow as the pressure increases ( none that I know of :) )

Draw through by far the easyiest way to turbo, but as in life, there are some drawbacks.
basically all you have to do is add the turbo between the carb and the intake manifold :D

You mount a 40 Sidie to the suction side of the turbo and run the pressure side to the intake manifold....that's it. The carb is none the wiser, no pressure to compensate for, all that's going to happen is as you biuld up boost, the turbo will suck more air/fuel, no dump valve, as there will be no positive pressure when you lift off ( the throttle closes before the turbo) .

Now with some down sides.
You can't add a cooler ( Charge or Inter ) Well you can maybe a charge, but you'll have pooling of the fuel, as long as the Charge cooler is mounted in such a way that the pooled fuel can run down the boost pipes and into the engine so it doesn't build up. Same goes for the turbo, mounting is rather critical.

You cant use silicon hoses for the boost connectors: THEY WILL DIE , the Hydrocarbons in the fuel and the silicon are not mates

As for the rest, I'd go for a T3/4 single, pipe the two feeds together, internal waste gate, 76mm xhaust, 1 box and you're good to go.

You can TURBO anything

It 'aint worth having if it can't be blow !!

Twin Turbo Lexus v8 '48 project, now try saying that after a case of Millers :)

Social Media