Engine repair or replace?

All engine related suppliers, engineering, parts etc.
fransvd

Engine repair or replace?

Post by fransvd » Mon 01 Oct 2012, 19:39

Hi Guys,
I am a brand new member and I just hope that I am placing my enquiry in the right place?
The engine in my Nissan Patrol tow vehicle (a Chevy 350 stroked to a 383) bombed out totally, 10 days ago.
I either broke a con-rod or else the crank it-self. The motor still needs to be opened to determine the exact damages. The sump was punctured but the block seems intact.
I can get a replcement H/O 350 crate motor- that is claimed to have only done 10k kilos.
In the end, the re-do of my old engine and the replacement with this other motor, could cost around the same.
I have spoken to someone being close on a "professor" in V8's and he has told me horendous stories about engineering works who do not understand the pick-up height in the sump, the 350 being a 1955 design that is by design an unreliable engine- and many more scary stories.
I cannot afford to go the "trial and error route" and will appreciate it, if someone could advise what my best angle of approach to this matter would be.
Reliability and repairability is of utmost importance to me- and I do not want to go the route of for instance a Lexus conversion, as there are just too many electrics and enclosed black boxes, that I would not know which one broke, when I were to get stuck out in the sticks.
Advice will be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Frans

gordini

Re: Engine repair or replace?

Post by gordini » Mon 01 Oct 2012, 23:00

Welcome Frans, and speak to Rassie ...he is a Frot fan :lol: :lol: but he can help on the Chevvy side as well 8) 8)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Glen

Post by Glen » Tue 09 Oct 2012, 09:58

fransvd wrote:Hi Guys,
I am a brand new member and I just hope that I am placing my enquiry in the right place?
The engine in my Nissan Patrol tow vehicle (a Chevy 350 stroked to a 383) bombed out totally, 10 days ago.
I either broke a con-rod or else the crank it-self. The motor still needs to be opened to determine the exact damages. The sump was punctured but the block seems intact.
I can get a replcement H/O 350 crate motor- that is claimed to have only done 10k kilos.
In the end, the re-do of my old engine and the replacement with this other motor, could cost around the same.
I have spoken to someone being close on a "professor" in V8's and he has told me horendous stories about engineering works who do not understand the pick-up height in the sump, the 350 being a 1955 design that is by design an unreliable engine- and many more scary stories.
I cannot afford to go the "trial and error route" and will appreciate it, if someone could advise what my best angle of approach to this matter would be.
Reliability and repairability is of utmost importance to me- and I do not want to go the route of for instance a Lexus conversion, as there are just too many electrics and enclosed black boxes, that I would not know which one broke, when I were to get stuck out in the sticks.
Advice will be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Frans
Hi Frans

i hear what you are saying, in my opinion how can a Chevy S/B be unreliable it all depends any engine can fail if the process is taking short cuts etc also this engine is one of the most popular V8 Chevrolet engines manufactured and in my opinion when you alter the cc of a engine this will depend on how this is done, the correct way or not the correct way a 350 S/B is a die hard my friend, once again my opinion 8)

fransvd

Post by fransvd » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 05:34

Hi Glen,
Thanks for the reply.
I have since learnt that it is the crank of my motor that broke- and apparently this happened once before, while the previous owner still owned the Patrol.
It is now suspected that the block has a line bore problem- and I will get another block.
A workshop will do this for me, use some of my spares, do all the work and build me a "new" 383 stroker, for an all inclusive price of R25k. I will then also get a written guarantee of 50,000 km or one year- and it looks like the way I will be going.
Regards,
Frans

Glen

Post by Glen » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 14:06

fransvd wrote:Hi Glen,
Thanks for the reply.
I have since learnt that it is the crank of my motor that broke- and apparently this happened once before, while the previous owner still owned the Patrol.
It is now suspected that the block has a line bore problem- and I will get another block.
A workshop will do this for me, use some of my spares, do all the work and build me a "new" 383 stroker, for an all inclusive price of R25k. I will then also get a written guarantee of 50,000 km or one year- and it looks like the way I will be going.
Regards,
Frans
All good Frans good luck with the build,

Social Media