Canadian American Racing Series....

ZA Perana

Canadian American Racing Series....

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 15:09

Probably after Trans Am racing the greatest race series in America, excluding the likes of yearly events like Daytona and Indy.

I have quite an interest in the Can Am series, look there were no rules apart from the fact that cars needed to have four wheels, engines were unlimited as was virtually eveything else, at one stage there was even a turbine car...

The cars themselves were called group 7 cars and basically the only stipulations were that the wheels had to be covered and there had to be 2 seats. Of course this anything goes policy lead to some epic monsters, cars pushing out over 1000 bhp and some 1500 bhp in qualifiying trim. Spectators flocked to the tracks in droves and with good commercial backing the series soon became immesely popular..

With this popularity and coverage the series attracted soem big names, the like of Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, Phil Hill, Mark Donhoue, John Surtees, Dan Gurney and every Ford fans greatest driver Parnelli Jones :D

Manfucturers involved in the series included McLaren, Lola(dominated the series for a while with cars like the T70), Porsche, Chapparal(unqiue cars with huge wings). Most of the McLarens and Lolas ran V8s, some pushing out in the region of 800 kW but all were put in the shade but a car called the Turbopaner- Porsche 917/30 which in quali trim had 1500 bhp..

Every year a few of these mighty Can Am race cars come to Killarney and hearing those V8's is nothing short of awesome but perhaps this year it was more special, as I knew more about them and could appreciated the history behind the cars..

Some pics to follow.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Re: Canadian American Racing Series....

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 15:25

Some pics
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 15:42

And some more
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 18:08

Jody Sheckter also raced Can Am cars in the states (i think Porsche), Pam (his ex wife) tells quite an amazing story of how Jody stopped in Pitlane while practising alone at Daytona and called Pam over (only wearing t - shirt and hot pants!), as she bent over he told her to quickly get into the cockpit...as she got in (not knowing his intention) he grab her and blasted out of pitlane!! Apparently he did 2 or 3 laps flat out!... Pam (who was not wearing a helmet) didn't speak to him for a few days after that!!!!!!!!!!!!
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 18:36

Ha, Ha! Can you imagine that? No wonder they're no longer together!

CanAm racing goes way back before the legend Bruce Mclaren came on the scene, but as ZA pointed out, a very intereting series, possibly that not many outsiders of the USA know too much about. A lot of GP drivers drove in some of the races. Jim Clark in a Lotus 19, Jackie Stewart even did a series, as did Chris Amon in various Ferraris, George Eaton in a BRM, but the big name before Bruce Mclaren and Denny Hulme was John Surtees who drove his own Lola T70's.

At the time of Surtees, Mclaren was developing a Cooper sports car in which he put in a monster Oldsmobile motor. He called this The Zerex Special.

I've dug about in my archive.......
Attachments
JOHN SURTEES IN THE TEAM SURTEES LOLA T70 MK 2 AT BRIBGEHAMPTON IN 1966 CAN AM SERIES.jpg
1966 JOHN SURTEES WAS THAT YEARS CHAMPION DRIVING A LOLA T70 CHEV, HERE AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg
1966 JOHN SURTEES WAS THAT YEARS CHAMPION DRIVING A LOLA T70 CHEV, HERE AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
1964 JIM CLARK STANDS NEXT TO THE LOTUS 19 AT MOSPORT IN CANADA.jpg
1964 BRUCE MCLAREN'S ZEREX SPECIAL OLDSMOBILE GETS PUSHED AT MOSPORT IN CANADA.jpg

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 18:58

Jim Hall deserves a special mention for his wonderful Chaparral cars that always pushed the limits.

There were some rules. Chaparral grew wings - new rule no wings, no movable air aids.

So we got the Chaparral fan car - much head scratching - ah the fan goes round and round - that's a moveable air aid - banned.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 19:34

Forgot to mention the Can Am Ferraris, the main problem Ferrari had with Can Am was that it was laregly dictated by BHP and handling was less important than outright power.

Have a MOTORSPORT magazine with some fantastic pictures of the Can Am series as part of a 40 year anniversary feature.

Its amazing that a great series like Can Am had laregly been forgotten today..
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 19:53

If we had Can Am today the budgets would be scary - I think more was spent on Can Am than F1 in those days, and certainly the spiralling costs is what killed it in the end.

I think Can Am is well remembered in the US and Canada where it was based - too well for a researcher like me - makes it really hard to find stuff on Firenza Can Ams :D

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 20:16

The great Jim Hall. Here was a guy who started designing for the CanAm series and spread himself further into International sports cars. As you rightly said John, the authorities pulled the plug on him in both field of the sport regarding high wings and that was that.

As you were saying to Jacques, the amount of money being spent on the CanAm series would have killed it off.

Other well-known drivers were Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti and Roger Penske. Penske ran his own sports car team for years using Lola T70 MKIII B's, sponsored by Sunoco and so many other cars. He still is involved today with Indy cars.

I have dug a little further.............
Attachments
JODY SCHECKTER IN THE CAN AM PORSCHE 917K IN 1973.jpg
JACKIE STEWART DRIVING THE CHAPARRAL 2J AT THE 1970 WATKINS GLEN CAN AM RACE.jpg
CAN AM FERRARI FROM 1967.jpg
1966 DAN GURNEY'S LOLA T70 AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg
1966 DAN GURNEY'S LOLA T70 AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg (28.97 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
BRUCE MCLAREN IN THE COOPER OLDSMOBILE ZEREX SPECIAL OF 1964.jpg
1967 CHAPARRAL 2G OF JIM HALL AT RIVERSIDE.jpg
1966 PKIL HILL I THE CHAPARRAL AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg
1966 PKIL HILL I THE CHAPARRAL AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 7551 times
1966 CAN AM CHAPARRAL 2E DRIVEN BY PHIL HILL AT BRIDGEHAMPTON.jpg

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 20:55

Another Jim Hall Car:
2nd_chaparral_2f.gif

Social Media