THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

zahistorics

Re: THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by zahistorics » Fri 09 May 2008, 01:04

I don't think they use methanol anymore. It would surprise me because it is a bitch to get the mixture right - the stuff burns so cleanly you don't get soot if it is rich. The lean indicator is easier - it is the hole burnt in the top of your piston.

Billy The Kid

Post by Billy The Kid » Fri 09 May 2008, 09:08

The problem with methanol is that people don't know how to work with it and that's why it has such a poor reputation in this country .
Maybe if SA had used it in more forms of racing our sport would have been bigger today look at the USA most of their racing cars run on it plus there is not a better smell than the sweet "smell" of a properly tuned methanol motor and a added benefit is a average 20% jump in hosspower
If one looks at a lot of the Oval racing in South Africa today many people have changed over to methanol

When working with Methanol SAFETY FIRST

KID
Riders on the Storm

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 09 May 2008, 10:47

Hell, I thought it was something you put on bruises or at least drank!

That aside, it would be good if the oil companies decided to sponsor a series, as we have said earlier. It's time they put back what we have to pay for everyday.

If you think of it, in this country alone we have plenty of hardware to call on to run a local series. It doesn't necessarily have to be an international thing where huge expense will be incurred. Imagine a circus travelling from Killarney to Aldo Scribante, East London, Phakisa, Kyalami and Zwartkops.

What a way to bring down the curtain on a season?

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 12 May 2008, 18:00

Anybody remember the Series continuing after the big V8's had sadly gone? Although we did enjoy the Porsches and Ferraris.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Mon 12 May 2008, 20:57

I couldn't follow the racing after the Fords and Lolas left. To me it didn't have the excitement and interest.

Those pictures are nice. The cars got very small. What's that Capri?

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 12 May 2008, 21:37

Was known as the Cologne Capri, 2.6 V6, I think later to become 3.4? The car was entered by Ford Germany and was raced in the European Touring car series against the likes of the Batmobile BMW 635's. I think it raced here in two Springbok series.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Tue 13 May 2008, 00:21

The Capri is a Cologne Works RS2600.

Although called a 2600 it was actually just over 2.9 litres. Cologne V6, Weslake heads, Kugelfischer mechanical injection. 10 x 13" front, 11,5 x 13" rear. Careful interpretation of the rules means it got away with plastic leaf springs, with coil overs doing the real work. Fiberglass doors, sliding perspex windows, fibreglass arches. Overall wieght about 950Kg. Power output probably about 275 BHP in 1971 (The 2.9 was eventually developed to 300 BHP before Ford moved into the over 3L class with the RS3100.)

The single Lucky Strike sponsored RS2600 Raced in 1971 Springbok Series only, Jochen Mass/Dieter Glemser in the 9hr, Mass alone for the rest of the series.

Was a very quick car - placed as high as fifth overall amongst some serious sports cars. I watched it in the 1971 Hesketh 3hr.

If anyone has ANY information about it, or more pictures of that car I am very interested because I am going to build a replica of it. I already have the fibreglass bits, wheels, front tyres, and a left hand drive Cologne built shell.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Tue 13 May 2008, 00:31

With curves like these what's not to love...
cologne.jpg
With Z181 and A2 Gunston Capris in their original form I think that South Africa had the the three best looking Capris ever!

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 13 May 2008, 11:46

Yep John, it's like a good looking woman! That Capri was very quick. If I remember correctly he had engine problems down here but still managed a pretty good finish..

Pity we didn't get to see it more. This was at the time Jochen Mass settled here for a while. As far as I remember he bought a house up in Bishopscourt and he used to fly out to all the GP's, which he started driving in with Mclaren and to the sports car races. We also had Mike "the bike" Hailwood who did the same thing. I think he also moved to the same area. I remember he used to drive around in a yellow Iso Griffo, or was it a Maserati?

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Wed 21 May 2008, 00:01

It sure is a nice looking car. What about the other saloons that raced? There were Mazdas, Renaults, Volvos, Ford.

I remember there was a very fast Mazda years ago that competed and did well. But it was driven by Japanese and there was a very bad accident with one of them. Have you got anything on those cars?

Social Media