THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Johann65

Re: THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by Johann65 » Thu 27 Nov 2008, 20:38

Pardon my ignorance!!! Where did Arnold Chatz fit in?
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 27 Nov 2008, 21:55

Arnold made his mark in Volvos and later in the Alfa GT AM and Berlina

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 11 Dec 2008, 12:56

We were told on the Classic Car forum that aaparently a well known driver is behind organising a new series for next year. Whether it is going to be a "continuation" of the original Springbok Series remains to be seen.

The format is three hour endurance races for classic cars to be held at Kyalami, Killarney, East London and I'm not too sure where else. I don't frankly know how classic cars are going to stand up to three solid hours of flat-out driving :?

For those who missed Rapid Motion last night, they are going to screen the highlights of the recent Kyalami 9 hour revival event next Wednesday 17 December at 9:00 pm on SS2.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Fri 12 Dec 2008, 14:51

3 hours? They did before so no reason they can't do it now. Of course people will have to prepare carefully, back down the max revs a bit, drive conservatively, all just like they did before.

My guess there is a more of an issue in retuning people's ideas from the sprint race frame of mind than there is with retuning an old car to last the distance.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 08:06

Nothing concrete has yet emerged and there haven't been any comments made, so let us see what transpires.

SFDT

Post by SFDT » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 22:29

Forgive me if you have looked at this link before, but I can't remember how I came across it. Has some interesting photos.
http://www.imca-slotracing.com/1965-196 ... SERIES.htm

In any case I will be at Killarney on Saturday.
And thats the best muscle car for R20k

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 10:17

Yes quite a nice site. Some of the pictures used were not taken during the series, but I guess were used to depict the type of cars raced here.

How did you enjoy Saturdays Killarney meeting?

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 18:38

Enjoyed it all thoroughly - from Thursday night onwards.

SFDT

Post by SFDT » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 21:41

Only spent Saturday and Sunday. To me the can't miss event of the year. Would be good to get to Zwartkops again. I think we lose some entrants in Cape Town due to attrition.
And thats the best muscle car for R20k

Michael Oliver

Post by Michael Oliver » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 14:07

>Has anyone got info on the Alfa Tipo 33's that took part in the Series, for that >matter any Alfa?

Someone asked this question a while back. Well, I was speaking to one of the mechanics who travelled with this car only a week or so ago - Richie Bray. I happen to have his photo album in my possession at the moment and am looking at a very faded newspaper clipping showing a photo of the car at Cape Town Docks.

It is described as a Type 33 Alfa Romeo and is a spyder, rather than a coupe. To be driven by Dave Charlton and Paddy Driver in the Rand Daily Mail Nine Hour race at Kyalami on November 7th. Unfortunately, there is no newspaper name or date attributed to it and I haven't got easy access to results right now but I am sure someone can fill in the missing detail!

Michael Oliver

Social Media