THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Michael Oliver

Re: THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by Michael Oliver » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 14:35

To answer my own question - I couldn't let it rest - the race was the 1970 Nine Hours on November 7th 1970 and Driver/Charlton were a DNF in their Alfa Romeo 33/2 with the reason for retirement given simply as 'valve'.

BTW, is there still a race to go in the Piper tour? If so where?

Michael

Roger39

Post by Roger39 » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 22:22

From the book "Sunset on Kyalami" I quote..."Retired in the first hour when a spark plug electrode broke off and damaged the cylinder"...very nice looking car, it was either black or a very dark blue. But and I quote again "Dave Charlton and Paddy Driver were entered in a Alfa Romeo T33, a car neither was too fond of. Paddy said although it was an open sports car, climbing into the cockpit was like climbing into a sauna."

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 13:21

Roger, I remember that car at Killarney. It was a very dark blue which I thought at the time was a funny colour for an Italian car. Not very much has been recorded about this car and as far as I remember it wasn't up at the front in the race.

I had forgotten that it was driven by Charlton and Driver. Is there any way you can find out who owned the car? Do you have pictures of the car?

Social Media