Brake and suspension upgrade on a Valiant/Mopar A-Body

68barracuda

Brake and suspension upgrade on a Valiant/Mopar A-Body

Post by 68barracuda » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 22:02

Our cars and I assume cars from Ford and GM suffers from chronically bad brakes, and matters are worsened by the narrow bias ply tires of the day.

So what can you do - butcher your car and fit ford/gm bits................NO :evil:

The following guide will help you.

US A-Bodies changed suspension design in 73/74 - so their transplant differ a bit - and we never had their disc systems over here

Chrysler over in the Southern Hemisphere has never changed their Basic suspension layout and parts usage - OK the VH Up ward models had a wider track in the rear, and the early cars do not have front anti roll bars. All the models up to 68 and some up to 73 only ever had 4 wheel 9 inch drum brakes on skinny 165 tires..........on 13inch rims with a very odd 5 on 4inch boltpatern. Oh yes the brakes are not power assisted and the earliest cars had a single piston master cylinder...

To put things in to perspective my 160BHP 68 barracuda had this braking system and wheel configuration - my 100BHP JETTA which weighs 10 kg more than the Barracuda has 11 inch discs front 10 inch rear and 205 tires - stock out of the factory scary thought.

Well to upgrade is easy - if you want to stick to the small boltpatern for whatever reason - either buy an hyper expensive R12000 upwards Wildwood kit, or do some scrap yard crawling and try to get hold of a wrecked 69 to 73 American design Val with discs - restore the parts and bolt it in - you will need the Master cylinder and booster, the complete wheel spindle plus caliper and discs - if you want to install an ant roll bar - take the control arms as well as the anti roll bar.

It really is a bolt in operation. In this case replacement discs and drums as well as sealing kits are a bit of a pain bat can be sorted out.

If you want to go for the large boltpatern setup with the larger discs an even larger drums there is one hiccup - the donor cars in this case is the 73 and upwards cars an they have wider rear-end - which you will have to pilfer if you want to fit the same boltpatern front and rear - these rear ends might look the same but are of a much sturdier design- the advantages is - 5 on 4 1/2 inch A.K.A 114.3 PCD rims is not a problem any more, Drums and discs are readily available from brake suppliers, wheel cylinders and seal kits are available, Bigger drums and discs - better stopping power and as a rule dual tandem master cylinder with booster on a bell crank bracket which allows you to free up space next to your engine - no more remote booster.

Please note
Don’t re drill your existing side shafts to the new bolt pattern, do not use adaptor plates - do the right thing - either order special side shafts with the correct pattern or try this recipe

The spring mounting points on the axle need to be moved inboard by about 17 mm each side - take measurement from your original rear-end.

The wider axle moves the wheels more outboard and into the middle of the arch - on the 68 Cuda and the Valiant Charger the gets rid of the Tippytoe stance and allow wider wheels to be fitted without worries about interference - a note here cars with lowered lower wheel arch lip - e.g. 64 - 66 Coda, most sixties to early seventies Valiants PLEASE check your spacing if you go this route!

In my case is detailed the chassis , and refurbished the suspension with new bits, as well as replace all brake and fuel lines with reproduction items - me doing the reproducing 8O all new rubbers, Koni shocks the works - even had the rear springs reset. And everything repainted powder coated and cleaned

My Donor car was a late model Valiant - Now I have power assisted ventilated discs up front, and big beefy drums in the rear - Oh yes - I am now running 205/70 14 Goodyear GT2's - at 2000 for a full set a good deal , BTW I mentioned HiQ Autowiel in Centurion Before - their new alignment kit has a Data base of alignments specs going to the fifties - apparently the first such system in RSA - Steel rims in 7J compliments of Guestro - they made the originals for the VH upwards series locally, and Imported period correct hubcaps

The whole conversion is to OEM spec so spares are not a problem, and even the garage in Carnavon can repair it.

It handles great, and brakes like crazy

Now to fit the imported rear anti roll bar......

Comparison of original small 9 inch to new 10 inch drums, as well as the wider rear spacing

Front Drum During chassis clean and degrease - I like to clean everything so I can see what I am up against

New discs bolted in and underbody resealed

Rear-end ready to be reinstalled

Shiny is it not?

Shopping list
Big bolt pattern:
Complete brake system plus wheel spindles plus rear-end with drums from 73 upwards Valiant.
Small bolt pattern:
Complete disc system from late 60s to 72 Valiant
Rims from Guestro, brake system rebuild kit from Wingate
Shocks from Koni in centurion
Rear springs reset by Van Zyl spring works
Suspension bushes from Summit racing
Ball joints, etc from Autoparts
Brake lines and fitting from media Hydraulics
Discs and drums skimmed by Centuria Brake and clutch

Elbow Grease ME 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
It's never junk, it's just a part you're not currently using

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

Hi-Fi

Re: Brake and suspension upgrade on a Valiant/Mopar A-Body

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 23:44

Lol, Fanie this should really be posted under "Restoration"

68barracuda

Re: Brake and suspension upgrade on a Valiant/Mopar A-Body

Post by 68barracuda » Mon 14 Jul 2008, 00:13

Ja Ag OKAY man

Ther is no Valiant bit there - and no one realy RACED Valiant over here - only Pardini - - what can a man do? This is part of the modification set allowed by the autocross racing lot in the states.......

http://hometown.aol.com/pwall5/cars/2cudapag.html

:? :?
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
It's never junk, it's just a part you're not currently using

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

Social Media