Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

Mopar 440

Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

Post by Mopar 440 » Mon 14 May 2012, 12:25

As mentioned in the introduction, here is the thread of my build. I cant believe that it all started about 4 year ago.

The body as delivered. We already washed the car and brushed on some red oxide on the rust.

Some of the main problems.The chassis beams have been cut off, the front part were the wiper and motor is housed was cut off, major accident damage to right hand side firewall. No VIN tags.

Look at the folds in the floor board and tunnel. The car is also slightly twisted. That is probably
wat caused this car to be scrapped and left to rust away.

The front chassis beams from a donor car.
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

383CUDA

Re: Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

Post by 383CUDA » Mon 14 May 2012, 15:52

Awesome dude thanks, looking forward to reading about your E body.
That's a lot of work and patience and swearing and bleeding knuckles and waiting for parts and and and.

Great job, initially I thought what a pity that a E Body Mopar was built as a racecar only, but now after seeing what you had to start with it was actually the best wat to go.

BTW. what kind of E.T's are you putting down at the moment , and when the next race?
Web: www.automotivefocus.co.za
Mail: Info@automotivefocus.co.za
Instagram: automotive__focus

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon 14 May 2012, 19:20

That takes balls to do something like that. You should have bought the green one that was also in the yard
and made it into a daily driver or the coronet. I would have never thought that body would someday become a drag car.I wanted to buy it for my kids creche to use as a play car back then.
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Tue 15 May 2012, 11:38

383CUDA wrote:Awesome dude thanks, looking forward to reading about your E body.
That's a lot of work and patience and swearing and bleeding knuckles and waiting for parts and and and.

Great job, initially I thought what a pity that a E Body Mopar was built as a racecar only, but now after seeing what you had to start with it was actually the best wat to go.

BTW. what kind of E.T's are you putting down at the moment , and when the next race?
Thank You.

Yes, this really was the only way to go with the E body. At least it did not make me feel guilty cutting up a classic muscle car.

At the moment i run consistant 11 second runs with my best of
10.9556sec. With a 150HP shot of NOS my best time is 9.9989sec.
I have an Edelbrock plate RPM II nitrous kit installed that can go to 400HP, but that is for later as i want to work on my reaction times and launches.All the effort we put into the car makes it an pleasure to race.

The next meeting at Tarlton in on the Sunday 17th June.Please come and say Hello.
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Tue 15 May 2012, 11:52

Someone tried to open the trunk with crowbar???

Fiberglass bonnet.
Fiberglass grill (still looking for rhs grill insert as this one is damaged)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

ROBBINATOR

Post by ROBBINATOR » Tue 15 May 2012, 12:58

Mopar 440 wrote:
383CUDA wrote:Awesome dude thanks, looking forward to reading about your E body.

Thank You.

Yes, this really was the only way to go with the E body. At least it did not make me feel guilty cutting up a classic muscle car.

At the moment i run consistant 11 second runs with my best of
10.9556sec. With a 150HP shot of NOS my best time is 9.9989sec.
I have an Edelbrock plate RPM II nitrous kit installed that can go to 400HP, but that is for later as i want to work on my reaction times and launches.All the effort we put into the car makes it an pleasure to race.

The next meeting at Tarlton in on the Sunday 17th June.Please come and say Hello.
Hi there Mopar....I recall a while back you mentioned dropping a full second with a 150 hit on the S&S forum.
Any chance of sharing some more on the engine/drivetrain combo please??
Very little drag-race talk happens here so I tend to take advantage on the rare occasion that it does :oops: :) :D .
Well done on the times!! 8) 8)

Cheers...Robbie.
EXPERIENCE.....tells you that a Tomato is a fruit.
WISDOM....tells you that it does not go in a fruit salad.
GOOGLE....can help avoid your customer's car from burning out and then been summonsed to court.

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Wed 16 May 2012, 10:24

Graeme wrote:That takes balls to do something like that. You should have bought the green one that was also in the yard
and made it into a daily driver or the coronet. I would have never thought that body would someday become a drag car.I wanted to buy it for my kids creche to use as a play car back then.
Hello Graeme.

Sorry, my memory is not what it used to be. Had to ask my brother on the green Challenger. He said that one was in even worse shape (rust), but we used that one as the donor car.

Ps. My boet sends regards.
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Wed 16 May 2012, 11:02

Hi there Mopar....I recall a while back you mentioned dropping a full second with a 150 hit on the S&S forum.
Any chance of sharing some more on the engine/drivetrain combo please??
Very little drag-race talk happens here so I tend to take advantage on the rare occasion that it does :oops: :) :D .
Well done on the times!! 8) 8)

Cheers...Robbie.[/quote]

Thanks Robbie,

The motor and drive-train is a story of its own, but here some teasers.
Here is what we started with. 440 block,adapter bellhousing with powerglide transmission.
Most of the engine parts together ready for final assembly.Most of the part from 440source ( http://www.440source.com/ )We got the 500CID stroker.
The finished product.
The diff is Ford 9" with spool and 4.33 gears, attached to ladder bars.
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

damagecontrol

Post by damagecontrol » Wed 16 May 2012, 12:16

VERY VERY NICE!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
89' Mercedes Benz 230e
....erode confidence in the enemy and cause the opposing forces to be left not knowing where the devastation is coming from....

ROBBINATOR

Post by ROBBINATOR » Wed 16 May 2012, 16:58

Very nice indeed 8) ....now that's how you whip a Ford's A$$!!! :evil: :twisted: .......running and hiding from Alvin!! ;) :) :lol:

Cheers....Robbie.
EXPERIENCE.....tells you that a Tomato is a fruit.
WISDOM....tells you that it does not go in a fruit salad.
GOOGLE....can help avoid your customer's car from burning out and then been summonsed to court.

Social Media