My two ladies and the valiant Museum

68barracuda

Re: My two ladies and the valiant Museum

Post by 68barracuda » Sat 28 Jun 2008, 15:11

Hi-Fi wrote:I must say I like these old Valiants and Chryslers. Your look particularaly good.

There were so many of them running in the streets in the old days. I wonder what happened to them? Pobably ended up the way my Cressida did last Friday - as a bloody taxi!!!
Thx Btw for the compliment
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
It's never junk, it's just a part you're not currently using

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 28 Jun 2008, 15:18

Check your private messages...have an idea for you. :D
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

sixpak

Post by sixpak » Sat 28 Jun 2008, 15:23

Fanie....how did your SE end up being a V8?....I was under the impression that all Valiants had the leaning-6 fitted in ZA. :o

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Sat 28 Jun 2008, 17:04

sixpak wrote:Fanie....how did your SE end up being a V8?....I was under the impression that all Valiants had the leaning-6 fitted in ZA. :o
OK My Father and uncle used these cars as tow cars- but due to the fact that the SE was a lot heavier, and was burdened with a low CR tame cam and was overcarbed- carter afb nogal these two interprising lads cornered a gent who was envolved at chrysler to convert the cars to Australian spec with 318 LA V8 Engines.

They differed in approach Dad went with a 318 with a Torqueflite a-727 - and build his for torque - ~ 478 nm at 2800 rpm Peak Kw in the region of 210@5500 - his also looked the part as it used all the bits and bobs needed to fit this engine

My uncle went the speedy route as you know 318 with wild cam and cr and a TF 904 unfortunately is has the tendency to chew up its gearbox.......as you know.

On the standing kilometer sprint at sealevel the torque monster was faster terminal speed of 178Kmh and still wanting to go faster

The High Hp dude did it at 176 this car was faster in accellaration from 90kmh upwards the other was like an electric motor constant torque all the way

Now you know - an conversion done by an expert the fact that these cars have been on the road now for 20 years with those motors is a testament to the quality of work done- towing 4 wheeled caravans to George and back on a regular basis

I think the hightg hp engine - both mind you could do ith a decent set of headers

The car I now own has a larger diameter exhaust system and extrusion honed manifolds with a crossover H pipe - system is 2 3/4 inches 70 mills all the way
With two freeflow mufflers.

The other has a smaller diameter system and when I knew it no balance pipe

So there you have the story - except is this the story? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Regards,
Fanie Gerber

sixpak

Post by sixpak » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 08:53

Thanks for that insight Fanie......what baffled me at the time of inspecting your uncles car was how professionally the conversion was done.....not a backyard hack job. Another was how did the engine date casting correspond to the year model of the car so closely, I believe that both SE's are only a couple of digits apart on the VIN's, what were the engines sourced from as they were never fitted standard to any ZA vehicle and how old were the two cars when the conversions were done.....just some of the questions that hinted to me that these cars could have been factory R&D mules. Could this be closer to the story ;) :?:

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 19:38

The two cars differ by 1 they came off the line right after each other
The two brothers played together to the end - they also passed away wihtin 4 months of each other

The conversions was done circa 86 - 88 cant remember well - the dates on both cars match car mnfg date - this was done so the cars would date well when possibly being registered as classics

I don't know what my uncles engin came out of but my dads is from a Dodge RAM Panel van

Things that baffle me is the eaze no hickups of the conversions they just keep on trucking
Regards,
Fanie Gerber

Social Media