Does anyone remember...........

Killarney Racer

Re: Does anyone remember...........

Post by Killarney Racer » Sat 26 Apr 2008, 19:49

Certainly remember Peugeots and esp the Austin A40 as my mother had one. Further back into TR2 days, and pre-new Killarney era was a bit before my time, but I have lots of literature and pictures from the pre-1961 racing in this country. The era of SA specials must have been great to watch. It seemed so full of real characters, unlike today where drivers are generally invisible.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 27 Apr 2008, 00:45

My Dad had a 404 - it was a very civilised car compared to other 4 cyl 1.6L cars of the day. Was quite happy to cross the country at 90mph all day.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 27 Apr 2008, 11:28

As a kid I can remember those A40's nearly rolling coming out of Quarry Corner at Killarney. In those days the track wasn't in very good condition and seemed very bumpy. You could only see the corner from one side, namely with your back facing the control tower. The rest of the corner was Port Jackson bush. There was a very small area just as the cars went into Quarry where you could stand. The bush then stretched away from Quarry down towards Hoals Hoek off to you right, then there was cleared land from there right across to Cape Town Corner.

On the otherside of the track you could only stand at Malmesbury Bend in a stretch that went from the beginning of the corner to the end and that was it. The trees and bush started again. Killarney in those days wan't exactly spectator friendly. When you came in Cape Town gate there was just a dirt track through the bush until you came to a parking lot. You left your car there and walked. If you were lucky, you could park you car on the sand banks at Cape Town Corner. So often people got stuck especially those old heavy post war cars.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Wed 30 Apr 2008, 21:36

Anyone remember that accident between Hannes Grobler and Ian Scheckter at Killarney in 1989? I saw it on TV then.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 01 May 2008, 14:50

You've got an incredible memory. I can't remember what I watched last night!

Yes I remember that prang. I think I may have it on video somewhere. I'll dig around.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Thu 01 May 2008, 21:08

Remember it well. That was a huge wake up call on safety at Killarney.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 01 May 2008, 23:21

As far as I know that is the last time Ian Scheckter raced.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 02 May 2008, 02:38

Yep and Hannes went off to race off-road in which he did very well.

Sifi6

Post by Sifi6 » Thu 27 Dec 2018, 21:20

Wingwalker wrote:
Thu 24 Apr 2008, 13:47
Brian von Hage was also one of the drivers when the Gunston F2 Chevrons were involved in the accident after the start of the first F2 race in SA. Just can't recall whether Peter Gethin's, John Love's or Brian von Hage's car rolled... he was a very good driver ... what has happened to him... still with us? .. or been called to the great Racie Meeting in the sky?
He is not an angel in heaven but still the devil here and is building a Lotus 7 in his garage on the West Coast
From his granddaughter

Sifi6

Post by Sifi6 » Thu 27 Dec 2018, 21:24

Wingwalker wrote:
Thu 24 Apr 2008, 13:47
Brian von Hage was also one of the drivers when the Gunston F2 Chevrons were involved in the accident after the start of the first F2 race in SA. Just can't recall whether Peter Gethin's, John Love's or Brian von Hage's car rolled... he was a very good driver ... what has happened to him... still with us? .. or been called to the great Racie Meeting in the sky?
My grandfather (Brian von Hage) didn't roll his car during this race

Social Media