Oval track history

Stealth GT

Oval track history

Post by Stealth GT » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 22:14

As some of you might know my racing heritage comes from oval track racing I'm not talking about the flexi type cars of today but real cars like Fairmont Gt's ,Manaros ,55 to 57 Fords and chevs I think that a lot of these cars became legends on the dirt ovals from Cape Town (Goodwood) to the steel arena in Port Elizabeth and they carry just as much history with them as main circuit racing

I'm wondering if we should start threads for these under the different manufacturers I'm sure Gunter will enjoy it as much as me as we all grew up at Goodwood

Warren

Gunter

Re: Oval track history

Post by Gunter » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 07:28

Great idea Warren....as you say,we grew up at Goodwood....man that was great times,the memories that will be with me forever....
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:06

I think that would be great to read about and hopefully pics to see. I would like to see what Gunter looked like when he was younger. I only saw him close up when he sold me my racing kit!

Let's check out some of the original cars!

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:44

My Uncles house was in Thornton right across the road from Goodwood. Across the road from him were some stockcar guys that I remember having big 30's Ford's or Chev's which they always used to be working on. To got to racing it was through a lane and you could see the stadium. So I began staying over there as a kid then walked to stockcars. Then there were maybe family days spent there and had to stay home. Thoes days I'd sulk outside and just listen to the cars especially the sprint car V8's which had that distinct rythm of power bursts down the short straights.

Another thing I remember was going to sit right on either side of the pits because when things got rough on the track you's see people all scramble towards a car where sometimes things would be sorted out mostly verbally.

Wingwalker

Post by Wingwalker » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:26

Just and oldish GOF remembering those days.

Posted this a few minutes ago, but some how it got lost.

I grew up close to the then Goodwood Showgrounds, in Kimberley Street, just round the corner from the old infamous Goodwood Hotel, also now part oh history.

As with most Capetonians stockcar night was the highlight of the month to us, we took blankets, jackets, a picnic basket, with dad's "beverages" as well, and the Mom, Dad and the children walked to the stadion. As all respectable "stockies" we only sat on the open pavillion. Yes, the same pavillion as at the Killarney oval. To some Capetonians these stockcar meetings were more important than religion and the newspaper reported regularly on these events, with photo's and long articles.

When "Oom Jack" said "Good evening, hello and wellcome", we knew we were in for a good evenings entertainment, with the clown, at that stage our hero, Cyrill Boratta (spelling?), Louis Borrel Saladin, Spider Webb, Derick Mans and of course the greatest stockie ever, Deon de Waal. Who can forget his stunts and the "hotrod" that doubled as a stockcar.

When the cars, and at a stage the speedway motorcycles, came around for the parade lap, everybody cheered as their heroes drove past. At that stage some of the cars had to be push started and some even drove round in circles on the grass as they had "clutch" problems.

I remember when the Killarney crowd visited the oval... quite funny to see productioncars and even Formula Fords doing a few laps.

It was a sad day when the complex was closed down, luckily bits and pieces of the pavillion was saved... I sometimes wonder what happened to the clocktower.

As far as I can recall, or know of, only one person was fatally injured at the track... his seat broke loose during an accident... can't recall his name, but Coenie sort of rings a bell..

Lekker dae... but history know... would just like to know if anybody had ever written a book on the racing at Goodwood.
"And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

Also known as Cape Town

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:30

A spectator was killed once when a wheel came off and went into the crowd.

The name you are thinking of was Cecil Barata

Wingwalker

Post by Wingwalker » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:32

thnx
"And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

Also known as Cape Town

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 16:00

The stock car driver that was killed at Goodwood was Coenie Lombard the only other track where someone was killed was at the Paarl or Weskus tracks

Warren

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 16:50

Us Natal guys had a very nice pocket sized oval track - Alan Ford Stadium.

See here, including some nice pics from Francois:http://zahistorics.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 17:06

What great pictures! But man that chick was also hot! Take off the hairdo and she will do!

What are you doing to this old man?

Surely there must be material from the Goodwood days? Gunter, step up to the plate.

Social Media