Oval track history

C-Body Barge

Re: Oval track history

Post by C-Body Barge » Sat 19 Feb 2011, 09:38

Hi

Did anybody visit the Dunswart oval in Boksburg/Benoni ?. I remember my dad taking me here when we were young and watching the v8 sprint cars, we had a guy in our neighbourhood who ran a v8 sprint car and i fondly remember every saturday hearing him and his kids tuning the car before the races that evening. We always loved the caravan races these were total mayhem. It apparently closed in 2005

Heres a link to the Dunswart home page http://dunswart.freeservers.com/
and heres a short article after it closed http://www.cartorque.co.za/0331.htm
Attachments
Kobus Graham 2002.jpg
Kobus Graham 2002.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 8381 times
Hot rodders recycle, where's those prius' going when the greenies have a new fad.

First V8

Post by First V8 » Sun 20 Feb 2011, 10:10

As C Body said we spent many a cold winters Friday evening at Dunswart watching the wanne be racers in Datsuns ,Mazdas and Golfs to the highly skilled Sprint V8 drivers do battle around a 400 meter track . A friend of mine Paul Meyer was the commentator and he could really get the crowd revved up before the start of race . Going back to the 60's i remmember going to Wembley Stadium in Turfntein and watching V8 sprint drivers like Alan Saffy ,Boet Eckart ,Harry van der Spuy and of course who could forget Buddy Fuller of stock car fame .
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

VMX

Post by VMX » Sun 20 Feb 2011, 10:55

I would say Jo'burg was ahead of us in the Cape generally some guys that started in Oval racing there ended up bigshots on the main circuit, Ben Morgenrood, Johan Coetzee, Abel D'Oliveira and others. The Jo'burg sprint cars were always something to watch.

The nicest part was afterwards leaving the track in your V8 trying to find traction with 205 x 13 Torque Twister nylon-plastic tyres :lol: :lol: on cold dew'd tar.

First V8

Post by First V8 » Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:20

The nicest part was afterwards leaving the track in your V8 trying to find traction with 205 x 13 Torque Twister nylon-plastic tyres :lol: :lol: on cold dew'd tar.
Mine only spun in the sand at Dunswart , cause i only drove a VW Combi with a 3lt Ford convertion . I had too many sons (4) :D to afford a V8 van. :mrgreen:
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

farrell

Post by farrell » Thu 24 Feb 2011, 23:03

VMX wrote:
VMX wrote:That yellow Datsun coupe your uncle had Lionel had was Mannetjie's road car before he sold it went to Lional. Lovely 1600 or 1800 SSS coupe. I worked with Mannetjies before he left our company.
Correction was thinking of some other SSS it was indeed a 4-door SSS as shown on Datti's T-shirt

No,you're spot on.The first car was the yellow 1800GL coupe Datsun,wich then became my dads car when Lionel built the car in the picture...wich was yellow aswell,but changed to white when they did the top 10 tour.Then Lionel bought jessie's sentra with the 16v Opel motor.my dad drove the car in the picture,wich we call ''poeiers'' (and if u look closely at the pic,u wil see it under the front ''window'' ).my dad then decided the frame needed to be modified,and pranged it in Saldahna.Christie Eyssen bought the car on the track all bent...
and that was the end of the racing for our fam.i have recently started racing dirt oval karting,and my Dad and Lionel are very much involved.now just to get n stokie out of them waahahahaha

bigboy

Post by bigboy » Thu 12 Dec 2013, 09:14

Stealth GT wrote:Ja that's old RT if only these guys on the forum could have seen his Fairmont GT that he bought new from Peter Gough that GT was super fast it was supposed to be a SAP cop car but was sold off to him due to the fuel crisis

Check that set of pipes on Derek Mans's car
Who can spot the car that Gunter's dad sponsored 8)
Check Edwin Hambley's black 55 Chevy
Lino that Shelby intake I told you I had came from that yellow and blue 55 Ford

Warren
Its a pity that the photos have disappeared. the pipes on Derek Mans car if it's the same set is still hanging in my dad garage. he got them from uncle Derick in the 90's and used it on one of his cars. the sound they produce is something we could never found in another set.

my dad also owned the Chevy Commodore, from Goodwood, that took S.A. Champs in the early 90's and raced it in George, he bought it from Leon Mans Dericks brother in 94 . I don't know if you have a pick of it racing in Goodwood. My dad raced against probably the best in south Africa, Poepsak vd Merwe, Chris liebenberg in the Audi and the fontinis to name a few. until today he says that racing has never been the same as between those guys.

the can am that atta victor raced was scraped a year ago. my dad raced it only one time in Worchester in I think 2002 at the wynland champs and still won the night between the flexis of the day.

the mustang that used to race on Goodwood, don't know who the driver was, raced on George in the hands of Albert Olivier and was also a race wining car. I can still remember going to Goodwood when the Engelse came to race there. was a snotkop but one of my best memories.

ill post some picks when I have time.

cheers
82 Ford Cortina 3.0 gl auto (90% finished)
73 VW kombi
60 chev apache
2× 82 GPZ kawas
91 1100 GSXR-M suzuki

and yes, i live in a warehouse in the industrial couse i cand find a garage to keep my stuff under 1 roof. What a life....

werner

Post by werner » Thu 12 Dec 2013, 21:48

Yes Bigboy, lets go with the photos. I grew up in Parow, bought tickets at windsor garage on Saterday mornings and steal train to Goodwood in the afternoon. Still attending almost all the oval racing at CHD, Tygerberg and Worcester. Will go to B dorp on the 21st.

Werner

werner

Post by werner » Thu 12 Dec 2013, 21:56

OH Yes bigboy, join the "Cape Hell Drivers (Goodwood showground days)" on Facebook. There is a lot of photos.

Social Media