Whereabouts of......

ZA Perana

Re: Whereabouts of......

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 22:52

Killarney Racer wrote: If I remember the totalled van Blerk car may previously have been owned by John Amm. But was that BvR's car??

Am inclined to beleive no because if it was it wouldnt have been altered in the way it was.

Firenza I agree this re writting history is becoming a bit much, for example to me that replica BVR car is an oustanding car, looks like the orginal and to me the fact that its a replica is irrelevent when it looks so faithful to what BVR drove back in the day.

Will definately ask around about the van Blerk car being the BVR car but I think there would have been a stir if the car had been discovered after so many years, more likely than not there ia a guy in SA who has restored a old notch back and doesnt realize what he has.....that seems more likely to me because to prove that the car was driven by BVR is next to impossible in my opinion....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 22:52

Killarney Racer wrote: If I remember the totalled van Blerk car may previously have been owned by John Amm. But was that BvR's car??

As far as I remember it was the John Am car.

Jacques somebody else told me it is the Van Rooyen car quite a clued up person that is. But never mind that, it must be possible to find out. Either by "elimination" of either Swannepoel or Van Rooyen Mustangs first. Secondly John Am got the car from somewhere. That person got the car from somewhere else. There's no such think as mystery unless there is cash attached to it or fame. and that seems to be the thing that is destroying classics today.

Was'nt hard to go back to the birth of the Chev Dealer Team Can Am was it ? There was no mystery to the car, that is nonsense there we saw it clearly.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 22:56

Firenza GT wrote:

As far as I remember it was the John Am car.

Jacques somebody else told me it is the Van Rooyen car quite a clued up person that is. But never mind that, it must be possible to find out. Either by "elimination" of either Swannepoel or Van Rooyen Mustangs first. Secondly John Am got the car from somewhere. That person got the car from somewhere else. There's no such think as mystery unless there is cash attached to it or fame. and that seems to be the thing that is destroying classics today.

Was'nt hard to go back to the birth of the Chev Dealer Team Can Am was it ? There was no mystery to the car, that is nonsense there we saw it clearly.

I spent quite a lot of time underneath and around that van blerk car and I cannot fathon how someone would cut up and change such an important car, thats what leads me to beleive it wasnt a BVR car, what I think may have happened here is someone heard something and the story started to go around but again we are back into the relm of politics and I have have had enough of that for the time being.....as I think have many others...

Back to the orginal question though, would be interesting to know what happened to other cars such as the Gordon Briggs Anglia, on a side note I had the opportunity to chat to one of the Porters a year or so back but for some reason didnt.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 22:58

ZA Perana wrote:

Am inclined to beleive no because if it was it wouldnt have been altered in the way it was.

Firenza I agree this re writting history is becoming a bit much, for example to me that replica BVR car is an oustanding car, looks like the orginal and to me the fact that its a replica is irrelevent when it looks so faithful to what BVR drove back in the day.

Will definately ask around about the van Blerk car being the BVR car but I think there would have been a stir if the car had been discovered after so many years, more likely than not there ia a guy in SA who has restored a old notch back and doesnt realize what he has.....that seems more likely to me because to prove that the car was driven by BVR is next to impossible in my opinion....

I swore I was going to bail out of politics this year. But I think that is a good idea. Lets see what car that really was. I've been contemplating not renewing my WPMC membership as this is not fun anymore. I don't believe people can spend thousands on a project and not even know what it is or is not.

What's this about half the cars at Killarney no longer compliant to race this year ? The classic cars that is ?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 23:01

Correct cars again the spirit of the rules will wear big black X's on the side, modifications will be limited to period mods, i.e in the case of Can Am's, flared arches, no more of this Westbank modified engines and so on, though I do beleive an exception has been made regarding brakes....

Back to the Mustang, I could well be the BVR car but why was there no hype from anyone about it?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 23:03

The Mustang up north in Lucky Strike livery is fantastic. I would have been fooled about that being real or not but the owner is honest enough to anounce it as a replica. The Poulter Cortina as well. Others too.

This article by Stuart Johnston in the Cape Times this week explains this all very clearly. Again I say there is no such thing as don't know. If you want to know ask and somebody somewhere will know or know somebody that knows.

The problem now is that some important poeple have passed on and as time prgresses more will leave us and hence this disease will really take over. This is being exploited with this "vague" or "no official factory records" phenonema. I notice this trend has started here recently but as we can see there are still many informed people around.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 23:11

ZA Perana wrote: Correct cars again the spirit of the rules will wear big black X's on the side, modifications will be limited to period mods, i.e in the case of Can Am's, flared arches, no more of this Westbank modified engines and so on, though I do beleive an exception has been made regarding brakes....

Back to the Mustang, I could well be the BVR car but why was there no hype from anyone about it?

The cars could be 5 seconds a lap slower rather and look like they used to than the way they are. Modern rims for example should stop them at the gate. Either put on tin rims or something era or go to Clubmans. This was long overdue.

Pity it has gone this way as there are many nice cars around.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 00:43

Referring to something further back up this post

About Bobby Ohtlhoff Team Gunston A 201 Cortina Perana, which went to Koos Swanepoel:

When I saw Alan Poulter last year, he said that when he built the replica (N 201) he was told about the remains of the original car. Apparently he went to have a look but it was only a gutted shell, bent in roof - beyond repair basically.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 12:36

zahistorics wrote: Referring to something further back up this post

About Bobby Ohtlhoff Team Gunston A 201 Cortina Perana, which went to Koos Swanepoel:

When I saw Alan Poulter last year, he said that when he built the replica (N 201) he was told about the remains of the original car. Apparently he went to have a look but it was only a gutted shell, bent in roof - beyond repair basically.

Sad that such a classic race car ends up looking like that, though as they say nothing is usually totally beyond repair its just a case of it not being economical to repair...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 12:45

Thinking about it, wonder what happened to the works 530's campaigned by Eddie Keizan and Alan Lavanporrie(spelling)

This was apparently an orginal 530 road car converted for racing...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Social Media