Passion for Speed 2014

Dattiman

Passion for Speed 2014

Post by Dattiman » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 10:04

PFS1.jpg
Passion for Speed 2014
PFS1.jpg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
Fans, racing fans and lovers of muscle cars.........
The car that won just about every Nascar event in the USA (including the Daytona 500) in 1963 and then topped the British Jaguar and Lotus Cortina in the UK Saloons Car Championship in 1964 and in the hands of Bobby Olthoff won the SA Production Car Championship in 1965 returns to Killarney on Saturday the 8th of February, in the hands of Sarel van der Merwe.

The big red Galaxie which when it first appeared at the old Kyalami in 1963 and 1964 for the 9-Hour, must have accounted for at least half of the crowd as they marvelled at this huge whale of a car motoring sideways through sunset, out drifting the sports cars and the local production cars.

It was a sensation and still is particularly in the hands of Sarel. Whilst the big Galaxie was retired in 1966 after the arrival of the more “nimble” Mustangs this may not be the case on the 8th of February as “ou rooie” has been put on a diet – it is now a lot lighter and has a few handling tweaks on the suspension.

“I will return and take my rightful place on the grid” – “ou Rooie”

A similar Galaxie will be driven by Dutch visitor Ad Verkuijlen. Well known to South Africans, Ad, who was an engineer with Benetton in their glory days and later managed the all conquering BMW touring car works team, is no stranger to driving and has a host of top finishes in Europes toughest historic events.

Jackie Scheckter is also up in the “Pablo Clark Racing” Galaxie where he is sure to prove hard to beat. Yet another Galaxie is driven by our own Ferdi Van Niekerk and he is sure to give a good account of himself.
More info.......
In the days of the Kyalami nine hours we raved when we had 3 Ford GT 40’s in the race. Well for the 8th of February there could be as many as eight of these mighty racers on the grid. Dino Scribante, Ross Lazarus, two from Sweden, one from Holland, Oliver Dalais and a special GT 40 from Cape Town.

The Ford GT40 was the car that topped Ferrari at Le Mans. The last 24 hour that Ferrari won was in 1965 with an unexpected win in a private Ferrari 275 LM.

In the next four years it was the Ford GT40’s that ruled the roost.

The final win coming from Jackie Ickx when he beat Hans Hermann Porsche 910 by less than three seconds after 24 hours of racing!
And if you happen to also be a biking fan there's something for you as well.
The 7th annual SA TT Revival Series classic racing motorcycle event to be held at the Killarney Racetrack on 7/8th Feb 2014 promises to be the best yet.

The big news is the participation by Norton Motorcycle Ltd, from the UK. They will be sending a selection of famous Norton racebikes to the event for this special day. Owner and CEO of the re-incarnated Norton motorcycle company, Stuart Garner, says this is because South Africa played a unique part in the history of Norton motorcycles, and will always have a place in the future plans for the famous Marque. “After all”, says Garner, South Africa was the breeding ground of so many famous Norton riders, with men like Jim Redman, Gary Hocking, Paddy Driver, and many, many more learning their craft on Nortons and then arriving in Europe and successfully taking on the World’s best. “We want to celebrate that, and what better way than by taking part in the wonderful events put on every year in South Africa?”
The historic Nortons, which will include the incredible rotary engined Norton superbike which won a British Superbike championship and also starred in many Isle of Man TT races, will be there. The iconic “John Player Norton “ livery, and the distinctive sound of the rotary engine is unforgettable. The V4 engined SG1 TT racebike will also be seen on track during the day. There will also be one each of the new Norton models, the 900cc Commando Sport and the Commando Café Racer for enthusiasts to drool over. They will be available in very limited numbers in SA next year. The bikes will be coming to SA as part of Mick Grant’s annual UK group of riders.
Entries submitted to date can be viewed at http://www.classiccarracing.co.za/PFS_Entries.html

For more information, pictures and comments see https://www.facebook.com/classiccarracing
Datsuns Rule!!
The Racing Datsuns

gordini

Re: Passion for Speed 2014

Post by gordini » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 10:32

Niiiice...we'll be there :D :D :D
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 13:02

Why would they have the Cape round on the same weekend as the George Old Car Show?

:roll:

gordini

Post by gordini » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 13:29

IndianaJones wrote:Why would they have the Cape round on the same weekend as the George Old Car Show?

oooops.jpg
oooops.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Never thought of that....
crying2.gif
crying2.gif (12.95 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
This is now a tough decision...
sigh.gif
sigh.gif (21.94 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Dunno which one i will attend...

CHING CHONG CHA.....maybe :?: :?: :idea: :idea:
In my old age...

From Malmesbury

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 13:50

Ons in die Kaap suig gewoonlik aan die agterste speen met hierdie byeenkoms, baie keer is van die karre wat op Zwartkops deelgeneem het nie teen die volgende naweek gereed nie.

gordini

Post by gordini » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 15:40

IndianaJones wrote:Ons in die Kaap suig gewoonlik aan die agterste speen met hierdie byeenkoms, baie keer is van die karre wat op Zwartkops deelgeneem het nie teen die volgende naweek gereed nie.
Dit, maat, het ek al hoeveel keer gesien. En die karre wat op Kyalami ry kom nooit in die Kaap nie. Kyk maar gerus TV :( :(
In my old age...

From Malmesbury

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 05:30

IndianaJones wrote:Why would they have the Cape round on the same weekend as the George Old Car Show?

Not a problem. Cape Town round is on Friday and Saturday, so you can go to George on the Sunday. Perfect petrol head weekend.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 20:02

To be honest people aren't going to like what I have to say but anyway. For years and years I have been reading this advertising prose and what actually turns up at Killarney has become rather pathetic to say the least, if it were not for a few Cape locals the racing would be a total waste of money in my opinion.

Perhaps my own tastes have changed over the years but the entry list isn't really as good as it once was, there are no thundering Lolas's and generally the fields are small as is the attendance on the stands. Every year I used to go to this racing but I think 2014 is the first year where I am actually going to have to decide if I am going to go, before I didn't think about it and just went and spent the day at Killarney.

At least there has been some good racing in the past, Hepburn vs Lindenberg was entertaining.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media