Tony Vianna BMW 745i

peranaman

Re: Tony Vianna BMW 745i

Post by peranaman » Mon 23 Mar 2009, 16:56

ZA Perana wrote:Anyone have any pictures of this car from the Historic meeting at Zwartkops? Also a recently discovered race car, that still looks great in its Winfield livery. Any ideas where it was found..

For those foreign the 745 sold here was unqiue because it has the same 213kW motor as BMW's M1 supercar and many said the SA version was far superior to the Turbo version of a differant engine the rest of the world got.
Can you tell me the number on the car and it's exact livery colours please?

I was there and may have video footage of it racing.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

Stevin

Post by Stevin » Mon 23 Mar 2009, 17:06

It's the same car that there are pictures of in this thread.

The Winfield 745i it has T1 on the door and the livery is red and white with gold accents

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Mon 23 Mar 2009, 18:09

All I got of the BMWs by accident.

The video quality is superb for DVD and TV purposes but I've crunched it down quickly for Youtube.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

nick sheward

Post by nick sheward » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 09:21

Stevin wrote:
nick sheward wrote:The Gunston 535 was stripped by Fat Arnie in Welkom to build the white CSL replica which now belongs to Johan van Heerden. The body of the Gunston 535 was cut up. There was a second spare early 535 body lying around in the workshop when Tony sadly passed away. This car was never raced by Tony and was never completed as a car by him.
It was completed by one of his ex mechanics. Raced in green and then white and is now in VD Bijl Park in Gunston colours. Does not have any "good" bits and runs a M5 motor.
The 535 in the picture is one of the two original cars built by Owen Ashley. It had cantilever rear shocks. Tony was not happy with that car and he built another car that season with a more conventional race suspension. That is the Winfield car you speak of.
Cheers!
I assume this is the Gunston Painted 535 that you mention.

Yes Stevin. That is the car. Cheers.

gordini

Post by gordini » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 09:54

Ugly paintjob that :roll:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 19:31

If that is the same green one Nick speaks of then if my memory still works they've changed it somewhat including the flares.

I saw a green 535 at Goldfields mid-90's at a Group N/Wesbanks and all that national. They ran their own club cars there on that day too. When I saw the car I immediately wondered if it was the ex-Gunston car I'd seen at Killarney in the 80's which was not that Gunston scheme. It was the cream and orangy scheme when Tony raced it

But maybe also BP colours Nick will have to help me right there. Sure I have photo's of both colour schemes though not sure if the same car if both were indeed 535's.

The flares on this car are different. The Gunston 535 did'nt have those "ridge's" they were typical just plain widned extensions of the era. The spoiler on this car is also different to the original as well as that green one I saw in the 90's. The green one I saw in the 90's somehow seemed to look quite real at the time just minus the detail and trickery.

Fanie

Post by Fanie » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 21:55

Hi guys
No input but surely very interesting stories!
Cheers Fanie

gordini

Post by gordini » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 23:11

Cant it be the number 35 in the background........same colour and same car :roll:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Thu 26 Mar 2009, 10:11

Car # 35 in the background is a space frame Golf owned by Colin Clay.
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 26 Mar 2009, 12:50

Line, and others too, did any Gunston BMW appear in the original orange/gold/brown colour scheme? I though they were all in the 'new' cream colour scheme.

Social Media