EX VIANNA RACING 530MLE

ClassicMan

EX VIANNA RACING 530MLE

Post by ClassicMan » Fri 24 Apr 2009, 13:10

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any information, photographs and/or knowledge on this car. I've been following a lead that this car exists in PE and have just spoken to an owner who sold it 4 years ago. It seems it was the real deal, but the palooka he sold it to crashed the spoiler off of it 2 hours after he bought it 8O

The car was apparently taken off the track and put back on the road when Vianna sold it. If I find it, I need to know what to look for and could use some help.

ZA Perana

Re: EX VIANNA RACING 530MLE

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 24 Apr 2009, 13:19

Tough one this, did the car not start off as one of eithe Eddie Keizan's or Alan Lampoirries 530's as campaigned in in around 1978 or so?

I think it may have because Vianna I think raced the car in the early 80's by which stage the 530 itself was out of production.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ClassicMan

Post by ClassicMan » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:46

I don't know much about these cars at all. Anyone know who the BMW mechanocs were at the time?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 07:54

ClassicMan wrote:I don't know much about these cars at all. Anyone know who the BMW mechanocs were at the time?
What I would do if I were you is to try and make contact with Eddie Keizan, chances are he can help in this regard, Vianna prepared his cars himself which was rather interesting as he did even at that early stage have some BMW SA backing.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ClassicMan

Post by ClassicMan » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 08:36

Thanks, I will give that a bash.

I am 1 owner away from finding the car. The last owner sold it about a year ago, but can't remember who to. He has confirmed the story behind the car, and by the end of today I should have some photographs and the original steering wheel. He removed it as a momento before he sold the car.

Ah, the thrill of the chase...........

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 15:49

I think 1978 could be about right, but regarding the MLE, it doesn't ring a bell. Then of course the old mind can't remember too many details!!

I have got a picture of Viana in the 535i when he raced for Team Gunston. I thought he then moved away from these cars and into the BMW 3 series and ultimately into the 7 series. Who has details? Hmm, the sands of time..........
Attachments
2.jpg

nick sheward

Post by nick sheward » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 16:53

In Modifieds after the 535i it was the 745i in 1986 then the M5 in 1987 and 1988. then the 3 series Modified in 1989 and 1990. Then the Class B 5 Series Modifieds with Deon Joubert.

In Group One/N after the 535i it was the 745i in 1985 and then the 528i in 1986 and I think 1987. Then came the 3 series Shadowlines . Cheers!

ClassicMan

Post by ClassicMan » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 17:31

I spoke with Eddie Keizan this morning and he confirmed that Tony Vianna never drove a 530, but campained a 535. There were two works 530's driven by Eddie and Alain Lavoipierre. Eddie's car ended up in Pretoria and is apparently beng restored back to original condition. This has also been confirmed by Nick Sheward, who was kind enough to chat with me earlier today.

I have spoken to the owners of the car I am trying to trace and they confirm that it was definitely a 530 and was raced. It ran a triple weber set-up and packed a mighty punch. I have now got the registration number of the car and by tomorrow I will hopefully know who the current owner is and where the car is. I am seriously hoping that this is the second of the two original cars.......

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 29 Apr 2009, 07:43

ClassicMan wrote:I spoke with Eddie Keizan this morning and he confirmed that Tony Vianna never drove a 530, but campained a 535. There were two works 530's driven by Eddie and Alain Lavoipierre. Eddie's car ended up in Pretoria and is apparently beng restored back to original condition. This has also been confirmed by Nick Sheward, who was kind enough to chat with me earlier today.

I have spoken to the owners of the car I am trying to trace and they confirm that it was definitely a 530 and was raced. It ran a triple weber set-up and packed a mighty punch. I have now got the registration number of the car and by tomorrow I will hopefully know who the current owner is and where the car is. I am seriously hoping that this is the second of the two original cars.......
The above has confirmed my thinking, I do have some colour picture of both of the 530's somewhere, one was in Solora TV colours and the other was in the colours of Bic.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

ClassicMan

Post by ClassicMan » Wed 29 Apr 2009, 09:33

The plot thickens.....

Nick Sheward has spoken to an ex BMW Racing Mechanic who knows the cars. It seems that a third car was built for Paddy Driver!

Eddie Keizan's car has been sold to Peter Kaye-Eddie and is being restored. A second car was written off on the Tarlton Drag Strip and the whereabouts of the the third car is unknown.

Social Media