1965 Opel Kadett Racer

VMX

Re: 1965 Opel Kadett Racer

Post by VMX » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 20:12

Quite right, I left "Tony" out as for a moment I did'nt want to question you as as to why you did not mention Tony. Tony I was told was working at Hunts in PE I think or something like a test driver too. That's a nice story that goes full circle the son eventually having some track time in that car.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Thu 03 Mar 2011, 10:40

gordini wrote:I wonder what happened to Johann as he is the forums first hand man on Chevy history...I like the way the story flows and it all make sense to me as i am an toppie that grew up in this era..
Sorry,
I was out of circulation for nearly a month due to a crashed laptop and having to transfer my data to a new PC that COST ME!!!
Take note of how Paul's info substantiates the GM memories coming from that special section!! :D Shows you how we worked in the same building but different sections and yet had the same love for development work!!.

I was priveledged to be a passenger in the "Box Kadette" from PE to George through Blaaukrans at night and recall losing a Mini Cooper S on the way. We had to stop other side of Blaaukrans for the engine to cool down and it was some time before the Cooper S came by us!!!! 8)
Those were the days!!! What about the "Coat Hanger" at St Albans?
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

VMX

Re: Various Capri Spares

Post by VMX » Thu 03 Mar 2011, 11:59

In the 80's I visited a pal in PE who showed me the design department at the factory he worked there. The new Opel Monza had just been launched and the was one on display. A project they worked on. Then had a tour of the factory assembly lines etc. It was my pilgrimage the Genral's headquarters only to see where you guy's hung out in the golden years.

Today it's a priviledge to here your story's to complete the chapter.

There are things that would be nice to discuss which I'm sure you guys could explain or inform acout.. The Ranger's Vauxhall derived grill I never realised very interesting. There's plenty I'd like to ask or just confirm what I asume..

Johann65

Re: Various Capri Spares

Post by Johann65 » Thu 03 Mar 2011, 19:06

VMX wrote:In the 80's I visited a pal in PE who showed me the design department at the factory he worked there. Today it's a priviledge to here your story's to complete the chapter.

There are things that would be nice to discuss which I'm sure you guys could explain or inform acout.. The Ranger's Vauxhall derived grill I never realised very interesting. There's plenty I'd like to ask or just confirm what I asume..
Unfortunately my time at GM was much less and is all in the mind. Paul did the right thing by writing all down. It is a great help to jog the memory. Like Bob Notter from Ford!!! Will tell you the outings Bob and my mates had going fishing with Bruce Oelofse's boat the Boegoeberg!!! Separate story!
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

VMX

Post by VMX » Thu 03 Mar 2011, 19:22

I know I could keep you both talking for a week, discussing various things that is still unfinnished bussiness with me I left it at that because I began to believe nobody really cared anymore and those such as yourselves that were at the core of this all had left Town. Sometime maybe.

993 Kadett

Post by 993 Kadett » Wed 16 Mar 2011, 19:46

Getting together to chat about the times would be great and we should do it sometime. Talking about unfinished business, the reason I am communicating this stuff now is just that I feel the same way you do VMX, even today the Ford guys seem to have more of their history well documented. Unfortunately a lot of what has been noted from the old days (Ford included) is just folklore and the real stories can only be told by the guys directly involved.
It also seems as though the GM guys are reticent to talk about their heritage. Heaven's alive, I was with the company for just 10 years but gave my heart and soul to what I did. Many thought I was crazy but we got things done and had a never say die attitude to anything we tackled. The saddest part of my time at the General was working amongst some of the sharpest engineers I was to come accross in my career (and I worked with amazing guys at the Dealer Team, Nissan in SA & Japan and Fiat in Italy) and yet so many of them seemed not to have the passion for the product. I honestly thought sometimes that the guys could have been working on washing machines, lawnmowers or fridges and they would have achieved the same level of job satisfaction.
All that aside, the biggest piece of unfinished business in the GM history is what happened in the aftermath of the Can Ams. The fact that the original cars are nowhere to be seen is an endictment to all those who had the opportunity to keep the history intact, that includes the folk at GM. To see the Peranas being built now by Peter is great and I think we should move fast to at least get a few genuine replicas of the flag car or 1A built before there are too few of us around to remember how. Maybe we should rattle some cages at the General for old times sake? P

993 Kadett

Post by 993 Kadett » Thu 14 Apr 2011, 10:45

Some pics of Hockenheim last weekend. First races for the new Kadett and very successful, Franco and Oliver (the other driver not the car!) mixed it with the NSU's :D . Had some trouble with the distributor drive in the second session but a good day for a first thrash. Guys, we can be proud of this machine, the cylinder head, camshaft and inlet manifold all "made in SA" from various suppliers. This class of racing is not about thrashing everybody in sight but just being competitive and the car has already proved to be quicker than any previous A body Kadett in Germany. The lads there have done a fabulous job. P
Attachments
Hockenheim Pic Apri 2011 A.JPG
Hockenheim Pic Apri 2011 A.JPG (140.9 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
Hockenheim Pic April 2011 B.jpg
Hockenheim Pic April 2011 B.jpg (157.34 KiB) Viewed 7032 times

GRUNTY

Post by GRUNTY » Fri 15 Apr 2011, 08:45

Brilliant guys ,keep it going! The Kadett I remember was raced by Brian Raubenheimer, of Mini Marcos fame PMB, and well remember Bob Thomas in his very quick 2.5 firenza. Later at Hesketh a yellow lovely Chev 3800 was campaigned by non other than Ben Morgenrood.
Inthe 80s I bought the dealer team Can Am once raced by Ray Emond and then in the east Cape by Des ally.At the time I never realised the value of the car and due to its very bad condition sold it on where it was stripped and sold off as spares. Cant find car or guy that bought it from me but maybe it will pop up one day. Cheers , Grunty.

sorensen

Post by sorensen » Tue 28 Jun 2011, 21:58

Hi Grunty. Please contact me at sorensen@icon.co.za or 082 450 6463 so I can talk to you directly. I am doing some research into the fate of the Dealer Team Can Ams. Ray Emond thinks the car he raced was sold to Des Alley. Des Alley says the car he owned was sold to Ivor Raasch where it was butchered to make a Manufacturer's Challenge Chevair. I'd like to know more about the car you had, it may help me put the pieces of the puzzle together. There are many conflicting accounts however. A "rough" supposedly ex-Dealer Team shell was bought by my Dad in 1980 (where it stood in Benoni), but it was considered un-usable and never used. Could it have been the same car?
RS

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 29 Jun 2011, 07:54

As far as I can recall the Emond Can Am ended up being restored by the late Paddy O Sullivan before it was sold to the UK where it was subsequently stripped.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media