Classic Race Car History

TdL351GT

Re: Classic Race Car History

Post by TdL351GT » Mon 13 Aug 2007, 20:44

Firenza,

I don’t think there is a bigger fan of Firenza’z or Can Am’s than you. I can see that you have done much more than the average guy to know your car and subject. I respect that. “Average” would almost be an insult. I for one will go out of my way to assist you in getting more information about this car. I thought I was fanatic about Fords...but I don’t even come close.

Regards

Theuns
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 13 Aug 2007, 21:55

Thanks 351, but I would still say there is much I would still learn as time passes. The issue here is not so much me. It is about our passion for motoring. You know, lets for a change raise ourselves to another level. 10-15 years ago our classics were just cheap thrills. Now many of us have held onto some rare stuff and I guess our conversation would also have changed somewhat.
Last edited by Firenza GT on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 13 Aug 2007, 22:46

Confirmed, anounced and proud to be a replica, beautifull .....
p3_1.jpg
Last edited by zahistorics on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 13 Aug 2007, 22:54

Excellent documented replica, most impressive and true to the spirit of the original ...
p3_2.jpg
Last edited by zahistorics on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 13 Aug 2007, 23:06

Another, some of these would have caught many of us out. But here they are cloned and proud. No stress of trying to find unfound identity. A replica is 100% as long as it is anounced as such. That's just plain good ethics, is'nt it?
p3_3.jpg
Last edited by zahistorics on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 22:41, edited 2 times in total.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Tue 14 Aug 2007, 05:57

Firenza GT,
I see you really have something about "replicas" Why is this so? I think a true enthusiast will, if circumstances allow, go for the real thing. But if it is not within his ability to get the real thing the only next best thing is a replica. I will mention two examples, the AC Cobra and the Ford GT.
If I look at some examples I've seen of Cobra's and Ford GT's then I must admit even though a "kit" car they are nice and build better than the original/genuine ones.
Yes, with the historic racing element taken into account its a different story, but not all enthusiasts will race their cars. Let us as the forum members enjoy those examples, be it the genuine thing or just a replica! :roll:
Now another question, Isnt the Chev SS a replica of the Holden Monaro, or the Fairmont GT a replica of the Falcon GT?
Daan

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Tue 14 Aug 2007, 09:41

Daan that's an interesting comment on the SS and Falcon ! My whole take on the replicas and things is just as with the road stuff. I had never realised there were so many "suspect" Capri's (Perana) around. Example friend just had a look at one recently in the Junkmail. The thing could not be assertively confirmed as an original although it had a BG motor. Plate was missing and so on. The BG number on the block I think turned out to be different to the one as told by the owner after they scratched to look properly. I mean surely by now this sort of "vague" information thing should be a thing of the past.

I have a friends copy V8 Capri Perana here that could pass as an original if I went by the sort of judgement I see going around by some. But really it's just not fair of me to claim it as an original. This car was a transfer of Perana components however the BG block has since been replaced. I can't prove that though. I can't emphatically tell you that the conrods and everything else is from crashed Perana so and so. The car feels exactly Perana, looks exactly Perana but is not a Perana. So then back to the main topic, if we can establish some pedigree of this car in question fine. If not then what's then stopping me from claiming this Capri V8 is a Perana too? It certainly has a big percentage actual Perana componnents. What's stopping me is my concience and respect for other original Perana owners. It's just a an accepted code of ethics aplicable amongst any true enthiusiast.
Last edited by Firenza GT on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Wed 15 Aug 2007, 00:52

Who ever was present on the forum regarding the Perana Vin. plate debacle, it remains unresolved as on the CapriPerana site the following is now posted with some pics of plates unrelated to the ones discussed namely up to BG 187 about. This is unresolved and there must be a reason why the error was made. In other words what we discussed is as noted below and all the cars are fraudulently plated. All 180 odd of them dated until about September 1971 ? Can we go back to that other thread where ZA Historics concluded on the border Streetrod Forum to thrash this out till resolved.?
Last edited by Firenza GT on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 15 Aug 2007, 20:42

Hi all,

Been following this with interest.

EDIT: a bit later.... decided to move what I wrote here so as not to hijack the thread. see:
http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... p?f=7&t=74

John

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 15 Aug 2007, 21:31

Back to CanAms then:

There were 3 Chev dealer team CanAms

As far as I know the fates of these three cars after the championshp are:

1 = interim unknown to me, but eventually it was cut up to build a Manucaturer's Challenge Opel Rekord V8

2 = sold to Dick Mawson, painted black raced only occasionally, then sold to Mietrie Mietrie raced only once, then to Donald van Staaden never raced, then to John Reed. Paddy O'Sullivan restored it while still owned by John Reed in about 1988 raced it in 1988 and 1989. Around 1990 or 1991 the car was sold to Ed Hubbard in the UK (some legal wrangles on the way out - car impounded for a while). I am in communication with someone who was in the UK when the car arrived in the UK. He sat in it and raced against it. Car was very shabby, later reshelled and rebuilt to the point where it was no longer original. General air of mystery because Ed Hubbard got involved in a big fraud case, assets siezed etc. Hoping to learn more.

3 = ('spare' car) this became the 'SA flag car', later sold to Des Ally, then sold to be cut up to build a Chevair V8.

So it seems that all three cars ar no more. My conclusion: The car at the top of this thread is not one of the three originals.

Mr encyclopedia Firenza GT will correct me or fill in many blanks here I'm sure.

John

Social Media