Re: 65 Mustang fastback.

Post Reply
BURT
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 14:56
Location: Cape Town

Re: 65 Mustang fastback project

Post by BURT » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 00:02

Maverick wrote:
hotrodr wrote:FPT - I here you and appreciate you trying to keep the peace . I however don't like it when other members have a dig at Mustang owners and their superiority complex and some members don't even own muscle cars and always have something to say . I am not just a Ford lover or Mustang owner for that matter . I have a number of other muscle cars including a couple of 4 doors but I do not need to list all of these to make me feel special . Bottom line is Bird 455 had his car up for sale and the guys had a dig at him knowing or unknowingly putting him on the back foot . I know the guy and he is no Skelm so if he sees a gap in the market and uses his initiative give the guy a pat on the back - not a hard time .

Other thing is I know most of the guys in the Mustang club of the Western Cape and they are far from a bunch of old wankers - all they are is passionate about the hobby as are al of us on this site
But having a dig at Fairmont owners because you deem your mustang's superior is cool? You started this remember? Double standards much?


Anyways my closing argument on this thread. I love both the fairmonts and Mustangs.
But lets be realistic, local mustang values are unrealistic and based on the fact that we cannot bring in LHD cars from the states.
In the states, unless its a rare series or pristine example they fetch pretty average values. Theres 35543244 of them and I dont ever see USA buyers coming to SA to ever buy them. There are simply too many there.

With regards to the fairmonts, both Aus and NZ buy our cars, and they keep on buying them. Maybe not for R900k. But ive seen pretty shoddy examples being sold easily for R250k.

A nut and bolt restored XYGT fetches big money in those countries, anything between $45k and $90k. The only reason things have slowed down is twofold. Firstly a lot of foreign buyers were burned by buying bad cars advertised as mint here, and secondly Australia is going through a very bad economic phase.

But the market remains there and will be there for as long as Falcon/Fairmonts exist. Mustang market is purely depended on SA buyers, and what we seeing currently is nothing other than Discovery Channel syndrome and everyone wanting to be Richard Rawlings, plus buyers with cash to burn, based on the idea that its a better short term investment than letting our rotting currency lie in a bank account.

How long will this last? In my honest opinion maybe 5-7 years. At the rate that people with money are leaving the country i dont see this being sustainable.

Roast me all you want, this is my honest opinion.
This is not your roast you not that famous, but you are slightly misinformed. Fairmonts and Australians getting burned that story is as old as the hills and not just applicable to SA as you so hoped it would be. (daar is skelms reg oor die wereld). I've heard about three stories from cars being imported from the States or if they ever arrived .Their economic slow down(rotting economy) does not affect everybody as in any country. Those who want to buy and buy big time. Australian car dealers or traders (or agents acting on their behalf) , frequent our shores constantly buying up all sorts
of cars.

From my own personal experience Mustangs with the right combo and especially fastback always sells

PS .Stop hating on my country

User avatar
Bird 455
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun 06 May 2012, 13:19
Location: ART GARAGE

Re: 65 Mustang fastback project

Post by Bird 455 » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 02:45

BURT wrote:
Maverick wrote:
hotrodr wrote:FPT - I here you and appreciate you trying to keep the peace . I however don't like it when other members have a dig at Mustang owners and their superiority complex and some members don't even own muscle cars and always have something to say . I am not just a Ford lover or Mustang owner for that matter . I have a number of other muscle cars including a couple of 4 doors but I do not need to list all of these to make me feel special . Bottom line is Bird 455 had his car up for sale and the guys had a dig at him knowing or unknowingly putting him on the back foot . I know the guy and he is no Skelm so if he sees a gap in the market and uses his initiative give the guy a pat on the back - not a hard time .

Other thing is I know most of the guys in the Mustang club of the Western Cape and they are far from a bunch of old wankers - all they are is passionate about the hobby as are al of us on this site
But having a dig at Fairmont owners because you deem your mustang's superior is cool? You started this remember? Double standards much?


Anyways my closing argument on this thread. I love both the fairmonts and Mustangs.
But lets be realistic, local mustang values are unrealistic and based on the fact that we cannot bring in LHD cars from the states.
In the states, unless its a rare series or pristine example they fetch pretty average values. Theres 35543244 of them and I dont ever see USA buyers coming to SA to ever buy them. There are simply too many there.

With regards to the fairmonts, both Aus and NZ buy our cars, and they keep on buying them. Maybe not for R900k. But ive seen pretty shoddy examples being sold easily for R250k.

A nut and bolt restored XYGT fetches big money in those countries, anything between $45k and $90k. The only reason things have slowed down is twofold. Firstly a lot of foreign buyers were burned by buying bad cars advertised as mint here, and secondly Australia is going through a very bad economic phase.

But the market remains there and will be there for as long as Falcon/Fairmonts exist. Mustang market is purely depended on SA buyers, and what we seeing currently is nothing other than Discovery Channel syndrome and everyone wanting to be Richard Rawlings, plus buyers with cash to burn, based on the idea that its a better short term investment than letting our rotting currency lie in a bank account.

How long will this last? In my honest opinion maybe 5-7 years. At the rate that people with money are leaving the country i dont see this being sustainable.

Roast me all you want, this is my honest opinion.
This is not your roast you not that famous, but you are slightly misinformed. Fairmonts and Australians getting burned that story is as old as the hills and not just applicable to SA as you so hoped it would be. (daar is skelms reg oor die wereld). I've heard about three stories from cars being imported from the States or if they ever arrived .Their economic slow down(rotting economy) does not affect everybody as in any country. Those who want to buy and buy big time. Australian car dealers or traders (or agents acting on their behalf) , frequent our shores constantly buying up all sorts
of cars.

From my own personal experience Mustangs with the right combo and especially fastback always sells

PS .Stop hating on my country
Burtus.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 7041X using Tapatalk
"What's the worst thing you can say to a Pontiac owner? Hey man, nice Camaro!"

GT40 Twin Turbo 5.4 quadcam Modular Ford. SDS custom tune.

Maverick
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:14
Location: Rynfield
Contact:

Re: 65 Mustang fastback project

Post by Maverick » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 09:09

BURT wrote:
Maverick wrote:
hotrodr wrote:FPT - I here you and appreciate you trying to keep the peace . I however don't like it when other members have a dig at Mustang owners and their superiority complex and some members don't even own muscle cars and always have something to say . I am not just a Ford lover or Mustang owner for that matter . I have a number of other muscle cars including a couple of 4 doors but I do not need to list all of these to make me feel special . Bottom line is Bird 455 had his car up for sale and the guys had a dig at him knowing or unknowingly putting him on the back foot . I know the guy and he is no Skelm so if he sees a gap in the market and uses his initiative give the guy a pat on the back - not a hard time .

Other thing is I know most of the guys in the Mustang club of the Western Cape and they are far from a bunch of old wankers - all they are is passionate about the hobby as are al of us on this site
But having a dig at Fairmont owners because you deem your mustang's superior is cool? You started this remember? Double standards much?


Anyways my closing argument on this thread. I love both the fairmonts and Mustangs.
But lets be realistic, local mustang values are unrealistic and based on the fact that we cannot bring in LHD cars from the states.
In the states, unless its a rare series or pristine example they fetch pretty average values. Theres 35543244 of them and I dont ever see USA buyers coming to SA to ever buy them. There are simply too many there.

With regards to the fairmonts, both Aus and NZ buy our cars, and they keep on buying them. Maybe not for R900k. But ive seen pretty shoddy examples being sold easily for R250k.

A nut and bolt restored XYGT fetches big money in those countries, anything between $45k and $90k. The only reason things have slowed down is twofold. Firstly a lot of foreign buyers were burned by buying bad cars advertised as mint here, and secondly Australia is going through a very bad economic phase.

But the market remains there and will be there for as long as Falcon/Fairmonts exist. Mustang market is purely depended on SA buyers, and what we seeing currently is nothing other than Discovery Channel syndrome and everyone wanting to be Richard Rawlings, plus buyers with cash to burn, based on the idea that its a better short term investment than letting our rotting currency lie in a bank account.

How long will this last? In my honest opinion maybe 5-7 years. At the rate that people with money are leaving the country i dont see this being sustainable.

Roast me all you want, this is my honest opinion.
This is not your roast you not that famous, but you are slightly misinformed. Fairmonts and Australians getting burned that story is as old as the hills and not just applicable to SA as you so hoped it would be. (daar is skelms reg oor die wereld). I've heard about three stories from cars being imported from the States or if they ever arrived .Their economic slow down(rotting economy) does not affect everybody as in any country. Those who want to buy and buy big time. Australian car dealers or traders (or agents acting on their behalf) , frequent our shores constantly buying up all sorts
of cars.

From my own personal experience Mustangs with the right combo and especially fastback always sells

PS .Stop hating on my country
Stop being so sensitive and learn to read, perhaps english is not your first language? Im defending the Fairmonts as much as you, but you trying to argue with me :roll:

My info comes from my good friends in Australia, im not making stories up. FWIW you can also go read here: http://www.aussiexport.com/sagt.htm

I've got at least 5 acquaintances in both NZ and Aussie that say the same. Unless they are buying cars from someone they trust, like Rassie on this forum, they wont touch an SAGT.

PS for your info its my country too, but I like calling a spade a spade.
Last edited by Maverick on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:14
Location: Rynfield
Contact:

Re: 65 Mustang fastback project

Post by Maverick » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 09:11

FPT wrote:Our non Ps cars are fine, all the way as hard as you can go.

My Ps though is way to sensitive, a sweatheart in town, but on the open road you realy have to concentrate, the slighest movement the steering has it moving all over.

I have strengthend the rearend, fitted uprated shocks, widers wheels, etc. ps is not adaptive to speed.

I had my my hands full through the mountain passes down to the George Show a couple of years ago to keep up with a friend with an XR8. It oversteers all the way.

Love it though and need to drive it more often. Powering passed new gen Audi, Mrecs, etc is a huge thrill in a straight line. :D
Both of mine are PS. I guess thats the problem then....

User avatar
ters
Posts: 4231
Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2012, 19:39
Location: Pretoria

Re: 65 Mustang fastback project

Post by ters » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 15:19

So, the Fastback is not for sale anymore Bird?

I'll split the topic with new heading in the Ford section gents.... without the mud-slinging, some valid concerns discussed :D.

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

User avatar
Bird 455
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun 06 May 2012, 13:19
Location: ART GARAGE

Re: 65 Mustang fastback.

Post by Bird 455 » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 15:57

Ters the car is not for sale any longer. Gumtree advert deleted.

Cool Ters

I'll start a restoration thread for her.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 7041X using Tapatalk
"What's the worst thing you can say to a Pontiac owner? Hey man, nice Camaro!"

GT40 Twin Turbo 5.4 quadcam Modular Ford. SDS custom tune.

User avatar
jlebenon
Posts: 1402
Joined: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 11:48
Location: fourways,jhb

Re: 65 Mustang fastback.

Post by jlebenon » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 17:10

These Ford guys .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

BURT
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 14:56
Location: Cape Town

Re: 65 Mustang fastback project

Post by BURT » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 19:01

Maverick wrote:
BURT wrote:
Maverick wrote:
hotrodr wrote:FPT - I here you and appreciate you trying to keep the peace . I however don't like it when other members have a dig at Mustang owners and their superiority complex and some members don't even own muscle cars and always have something to say . I am not just a Ford lover or Mustang owner for that matter . I have a number of other muscle cars including a couple of 4 doors but I do not need to list all of these to make me feel special . Bottom line is Bird 455 had his car up for sale and the guys had a dig at him knowing or unknowingly putting him on the back foot . I know the guy and he is no Skelm so if he sees a gap in the market and uses his initiative give the guy a pat on the back - not a hard time .

Other thing is I know most of the guys in the Mustang club of the Western Cape and they are far from a bunch of old wankers - all they are is passionate about the hobby as are al of us on this site
But having a dig at Fairmont owners because you deem your mustang's superior is cool? You started this remember? Double standards much?


Anyways my closing argument on this thread. I love both the fairmonts and Mustangs.
But lets be realistic, local mustang values are unrealistic and based on the fact that we cannot bring in LHD cars from the states.
In the states, unless its a rare series or pristine example they fetch pretty average values. Theres 35543244 of them and I dont ever see USA buyers coming to SA to ever buy them. There are simply too many there.

With regards to the fairmonts, both Aus and NZ buy our cars, and they keep on buying them. Maybe not for R900k. But ive seen pretty shoddy examples being sold easily for R250k.

A nut a
nd bolt restored XYGT fetches big money in those countries, anything between $45k and $90k. The only reason things have slowed down is twofold. Firstly a lot of foreign buyers were burned by buying bad cars advertised as mint here, and secondly Australia is going through a very bad economic phase.

But the market remains there and will be there for as long as Falcon/Fairmonts exist. Mustang market is purely depended on SA buyers, and what we seeing currently is nothing other than Discovery Channel syndrome and everyone wanting to be Richard Rawlings, plus buyers with cash to burn, based on the idea that its a better short term investment than letting our rotting currency lie in a bank account.

How long will this last? In my honest opinion maybe 5-7 years. At the rate that people with money are leaving the country i dont see this being sustainable.

Roast me all you want, this is my honest opinion.
This is not your roast you not that famous, but you are slightly misinformed. Fairmonts and Australians getting burned that story is as old as the hills and not just applicable to SA as you so hoped it would be. (daar is skelms reg oor die wereld). I've heard about three stories from cars being imported from the States or if they ever arrived .Their economic slow down(rotting economy) does not affect everybody as in any country. Those who want to buy and buy big time. Australian car dealers or traders (or agents acting on their behalf) , frequent our shores constantly buying up all sorts
of cars.

From my own personal experience Mustangs with the right combo and especially fastback always sells

PS .Stop hating on my country
Stop being so sensitive and learn to read, perhaps english is not your first language? Im defending the Fairmonts as much as you, but you trying to argue with me :roll:

My info comes from my good friends in Australia, im not making stories up. FWIW you can also go read here: http://www.aussiexport.com/sagt.htm

I've got at least 5 acquaintances in both NZ and Aussie that say the same. Unless they are buying cars from someone they trust, like Rassie on this forum, they wont touch an SAGT.

PS for your info its my country too, but I like calling a spade a spade.

I've viewed that site a few years ago and when replying last night I thought of it. (Slightly misinformed(English) does not mean you do not know what you are talking about . I was trying to enlighten you about a shift in thinking away from: I'm going to be done in .It is a old post and unfortunately we don't know when they got bitten( but disk on car says 2004 ) and what all inspired the author to write it . It confuses me though, because after your first or second import as a business you should realize if you on to a good or bad thing. Greed could have easily played a role here as well, we don't know there are other sites that mention businesses as well, people were done in and that's not good .As for your friends I don't know them or the situation but I feel for them .
As with everything its always the bad experiences that are documented and spoken about seldom to never the good. I wonder if everybody went through this back then

Well my experience has been different over past 3 years with Aussies and Kiwi's . I do know a few people(car dealers agents ,traders as I mentioned in my previous post) throughout the country building up and buying GT's and Monaro's not to mention the splitty, (which surprisingly out prices both of them at times). and still selling them off to Australia and New Zealand.

brennan67
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri 18 Jul 2014, 23:43

Re: 65 Mustang fastback.

Post by brennan67 » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 22:29

jlebenon wrote:These Ford guys .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow some post this guys.. I must have missed this one over the weekend whilst I was working on my Fords.. :lol: :lol:

But anyway let me join the action.. It seems us Ford guys like a good argument even if its SA/Aussie Ford vs USA fords.

Me I am part of the USA Ford brigade not a fan of many SA or Aussie Fords but I will still take them over those GM products !!

Of course Mustangs are worth more than Fairmonts. I can call them Fairmonts right even the GT is a Fairmont isn't it ??
So Maverick i disagree with you a bit mate. Like Fairmonts you get the base model and then you get the top of the line fully loaded model i.e. the Fairmont GT with its fancy codes that you ones all go on about. The Base Fairmont is worth not much. The GT is worth a whole lot more.

Same with the Mustang the plain Jane 6 banger is cheap and even the 289 v8 base goes for $25000 x 18 = R450k whilst a K code Mustang FB GT goes for $44000 x18 = R792k ! And I am talking Grade 3 cars which are just good not Perfect. A (Grade 1) - K code can command $77 000 x 18 = R1. 3 million !!

But having said that the prices of local Mustangs are stupid. Sorry but Bird455 if your car is a 6 banger or a C code 289 it aint worth that kind on money. Thats just crazy and a rip off, I suppose there will always be that guy who does not know any better.. pity !!

Thats the problem I have with local guys and their crazy prices on Mustangs is that they got a base model fastback and compare it to high end top of the line models in USA and think they can get it here. perhaps they do and perhaps the market here does not understand these things. Its like seeing a 320i BMW and saying its worth M3 money.

So Bird455, I would say the pricing for a 65 Fastback unless its a 289 GT model or up is crazy if anything over R450 - R500.

Back to the Fairmonts so based on this a Fairmont GT even one like yours Maverick which is looking like a Condition 1 to me.....has not and does not come close to a Mustang GT of the same model lineup i.e. (a K code for Gen 1.) These Mustangs are rare, whilst they built millions and millions of Mustangs the Top of the line models were not produced in such volumes and are collectable and hard to find in the USA.

But the problem is here in SA most dont know the difference in Mustang models and codes and people think they can overcharge. Need to be comparing apple with apples at the end of the day and most mustangs we have on our shore not the desirable collectable ones which fetch the big $$.

User avatar
Bird 455
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun 06 May 2012, 13:19
Location: ART GARAGE

Re: Re: 65 Mustang fastback.

Post by Bird 455 » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 12:26

Brennan i think you are totally wrong there, i remember an immaculate Fairmont straight 6 sell for R75k!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't assume Fairmonts are worth nothing. I always say theres an ass for every seat & a fools born everyday.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 7041X using Tapatalk
"What's the worst thing you can say to a Pontiac owner? Hey man, nice Camaro!"

GT40 Twin Turbo 5.4 quadcam Modular Ford. SDS custom tune.

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest