Nürbergring - Gunston Perana mixes it with DTM and STM

zahistorics

Nürbergring - Gunston Perana mixes it with DTM and STM

Post by zahistorics » Tue 13 Aug 2013, 22:32

Just got back from Old Timer Grand Prix at Nürbergring. Went to support Chris (Peranaman) and his A2 Gunston Perana replica.

What an awesome weekend. Chris was invited to take part in two DTM and STM (Super touring cars) 'demonstrations'. Seems like no one told the drivers... looked more like a race to everyone.

Despite being the oldest car in the field, road legal, on road tyres, no setup, and with Chris being a gentleman driver :) the car and driver performed well. Ran faultlessly for 45 minutes on day one (tyres were getting very gooyey towards the end, driver too - was a VERY hot day) and again 30 minutes on day two. Starting at the back of the field Chris passed a number of cars, including a Porsche 911 in both races.

Watch this space. More to follow, with pictures

Bird 455

Re: Nürbergring - Gunston Perana mixes it with DTM and STM

Post by Bird 455 » Wed 14 Aug 2013, 00:48

Nurbergring & Perana are two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentance :lol:
Amazing stuff! I think all on the forum should smoke Gunston for a few days outta respect! Can't wait for pics.
"What's the worst thing you can say to a Pontiac owner? Hey man, nice Camaro!"

GT40 Twin Turbo 5.4 quadcam Modular Ford. SDS custom tune.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 14 Aug 2013, 14:45

zahistorics wrote:Just got back from Old Timer Grand Prix at Nürbergring. Went to support Chris (Peranaman) and his A2 Gunston Perana replica.

What an awesome weekend. Chris was invited to take part in two DTM and STM (Super touring cars) 'demonstrations'. Seems like no one told the drivers... looked more like a race to everyone.

Despite being the oldest car in the field, road legal, on road tyres, no setup, and with Chris being a gentleman driver :) the car and driver performed well. Ran faultlessly for 45 minutes on day one (tyres were getting very gooyey towards the end, driver too - was a VERY hot day) and again 30 minutes on day two. Starting at the back of the field Chris passed a number of cars, including a Porsche 911 in both races.

Watch this space. More to follow, with pictures
Very impressive! :)
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

gordini

Post by gordini » Wed 14 Aug 2013, 18:10

Thats the way John...keep tje name high ;) ;) ;) 8) 8)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 14 Aug 2013, 21:41

Some pictures:
Driver Chris.jpg
Driver Chris.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 7397 times
Note the Bob Ohlthoff helmet design
On the way to dummy grid - Friday.jpg
On the way to dummy grid - Friday.jpg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 7397 times
Look which car is getting most of the looks, a common trend throughout the weekend
Dummy grid - Friday.jpg
Dummy grid - Friday.jpg (166.89 KiB) Viewed 7397 times
Lots of BMWs and Mercs, only one other Ford in this field.
Nurburgring GP circuit main straight.jpg
Nurburgring GP circuit main straight.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 7397 times
The sign says it all.jpg
The sign says it all.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 7397 times
more to come...

CanAm17

Post by CanAm17 » Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:55

Kudos to you Chris, trust you enjoyed the magic of The Ring. I had the good fortune to be invited to share a drive in the 2006 3-Hour Old Timer Grand Prix, running in Fred Philip's '65 Shelby 350. Those 20km of narrow, winding tarmac - along with 118 other cars in the rain and hail - will always be one of my enduring and cherished racing memories.
Attachments
Library - 1168.jpg
Library - 1168.jpg (169.11 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
Library - 1083.jpg
Library - 1083.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
Library - 1074.jpg
Library - 1074.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
1967 MGB GT V8
1973 Chev Firenza Can Am
1978 Ferrari 308 GTB
2010 Mini Cooper JCW

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Sat 17 Aug 2013, 22:55

Just seen this.

Will add some pics and hopefully some video in coming days. Still recovering from a week of intense Nurburgring-ing!! Plus about 3 months prep before that.

It was a special time and I was the only UK self build car amongst a stable to DTM /STW full on race saloons including BMWs, Merc 190 Cosworths, Maserati, Porsche etc. An auspicious bunch and me!!

The Perana held it's head above water despite being essentially a road car. Wrecked new set of tyres within 30 mins, but hey that's what rubber is for eh? If it had rained I would have beaten the whole field - they didn't have wets!!

No more track stuff for me - this was the swansong for the A2 replica.

It was an amazing experience driving down the F1 pits at Nurburg, then around the track where so many famous folk have driven. Then to pull into the pits again for a tyre pressure check and temp check - and hear over the tannoy 'The Gunston Capri is in the pits.....'

I'm sure Bobby would have yelled 'YES' !! or something like that.

Pics to follow soon.

This guy was a German named Dirk who saved the day by taking responsibility for my tyres - which would have exploded if I'd gone out with 2.8 Bar in each tyre!!

I hope Gunston doesn't mind us reviving the Team Gunston theme. Here's John Brits, me and my friend form Wales (who's just built a black 68 Charger and is doing a Bullitt Mustang next). People even took pics of us walking around coz we looked weird in all orange Team Gunston shirts (well I assume it was the shirts, may have been we just looked weird full stop). Does anyone know what was totally original and authentic about 'Team Gunston' at the Nurburgring this year? Look carefully. No prizes.

Yes, I finally got the Porsche after a few laps!!

One super nice touch was on the Sunday afternoon. We popped down to the real Nurburgring and bumped into Derek Bell who was doing a demo drive in a rebuilt Porsche 956. The old circuit was having a couple of bends named after Stefan Beloff. We got to chat with Derek and had some pics taken. Derek took his time in the newly built Porsche and did the 13 odd miles in 8 minutes!! Glad he was cruising then. (John where's those pics?)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

ters

Post by ters » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:24

Wow Chris! She looks as nice as always. Great pics of what I believe a great honor to be invited to such an event.
Still for sale?

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:37

ters wrote:Wow Chris! She looks as nice as always. Great pics of what I believe a great honor to be invited to such an event.
Still for sale?
Ters.
Thanks. Yes still for sale. Trouble is, finding someone who loves the car AND with the money to buy.......
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

colin davids

Post by colin davids » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:55

Stunning pics.The fact that your perana could not only survive so many hot laps but do so competitively is a tribute to the quality of your restoration.Hope we get to see that capri come back to SA soon.
FORD CAPRI PERANA NO. 66
FORD CAPRI V8 DRAG CAR
FORD SIERRA XR8
FORD CORTINA 3.0 S W/CHEVY V8
BMW E30 W/ FORD 347 STROKER
1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 MANUAL W/4V CLEVELAND
SUZUKI GSXR 1000
FORD SAPPHIRE 2 LITRE 16 VALVE TURBO

Social Media