Invitation to all Cape Town based forum members.

A place to give details for upcoming events and some nice pictures afterwards.
Hi-Fi

Re: Invitation to all Cape Town based forum members.

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 07 Apr 2008, 15:51

The sad thing is that we all moan and groan about the situation without being able to do squat about it. Even if you got involved no one would listen and you know why? Because a lot of those organisers have been hanging around Killarney for 300 years, some posibly may have even raced in their youth and they think they know it all. They are the masters of experience and you had better believe it. Even as a competitor you are dictated to. If you don't tow the line, you can bugger off. (By the way this is the word that little bimbo mentioned over the airwaves on Saturday, that one of the drivers was a bugger for punishment. Very professional!).

This is a fact with Killarney and has been for years and years. I will never forget Cecil Barrata and various others at the track with their attitude to youngsters and adults alike. The young guys shat themselves for these blokes, because we all thought that they would either have us arrested or chucked out. Consequently I didn't get the pictures I should have. I wouldn't say they use strong arm tactics nowadays but it's a case of, we are the authorities, you tow the line or go somewhere else. This attitude has obviously been felt by International drivers as well. They all want to race at Killarney because it is classic track and not one of those useless German-designed modern GP tracks ala Kyalami.

What happened with the pace car is so typical of a clerk of the course issuing an order, the boys jump to it but don't know what to do. This could have ended in a serious accident, possibly with a death in what would have been left of the pace car.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Tue 08 Apr 2008, 22:04

This sort of thing goes on around the world, some places worse than others

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 09 Apr 2008, 17:43

That maybe so, but why should the paying public be subjected to bad management?

If you try that in business, you will be out of business and so this attitude prevails in motor clubs. That's why attendances will drop and have dropped drastically in the past.

One of the reasons I stopped going to club meetings at Killarney was because the organisation and racing was so lousy. I could find something better to do with my time than sit there being bored out of my skull. Thankfully things have picked up a bit nowadays.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 17 Apr 2008, 21:54

Here are some pics from the Nationals on 5 April............

Social Media