'72 Chev SS For Sale

Sell your muscle car
Forum rules
If you are not a regular forum member, please introduce yourself in the Indroduce yourself/Welcome to new members section. Tell who you are, where you are from and some background details. Your advertisements will be deleted if you don't.
  • ● All adverts must include pictures and a price. This is not a bidding site.
  • ● Please respond to enquiries, if you don't respond your add will be removed.
  • ● Please change an item heading to SOLD when it is sold.
  • ● Members are allowed 12 adverts per year to make sure the forum stays an enthusiast platform.
ZA Perana

Re: '72 Chev SS For Sale

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:30

Sad to see it leave but as you say they are so under appreciated in SA and your car judging by the pics was one of the best ones left.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:38

That car really should have fetched more in RSA, but maybe everybody feels like me, too scared to spend money with the layoffs and forced holidays being seen at several companies.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:51

FairmontGT wrote:That car really should have fetched more in RSA, but maybe everybody feels like me, too scared to spend money with the layoffs and forced holidays being seen at several companies.
Agreed but this white example was a very good one, probably the best one I have ever seen advertised and to me the car should have fetched closer to R90k but through talking to people the issue is the 308 motor, for which parts are almost unobtainebale in SA, that scares a lot of people off.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 12:37

Agreed ZAP, the 308 doesnt have a great reputation here. If I ever get one I would probably take the 308 out and put it in storage and put a 350 in it for every day driving.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 17:39

The reason for the 308 bad reputation is the Phosphor-Bronze bearings! That is why I got rid of the Caprice Classic minus a few spares!!! :lol: :lol:
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Gavin GT

Post by Gavin GT » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 01:00

Thanks for the nice words guys! :D

I would have loved to be in a position to have just parked this car and held on for a year or so but sometimes it's not possible as one sometimes has to borrow money to buy and the high interest rate is a problem.

There are some cars in better condition like the one Boxy posted http://www.australianmusclecarsales.com ... iew/119341
Wow! :mrgreen: That is a stunning example and probably worth every cent - Lets face it if we were earning Aus dollars, $26k would be quite cheap I'm sure. If you consider the cost of restoring it back to that condition.

It all seems to be a bit relative to me because it's more of a buyers market now... but least a person can pick up a decent car at a reasonable price again. :)

I agree about the 308 though ,btw!

kwazulu arnie

Post by kwazulu arnie » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 04:41

I think we need to recognise that the party is over. The days of reckless spending on old cars are coming to an end. However, in the case of the Chev SS in question, I think that the model designation and not its 308 motor were the undoing. As stated in an earlier post, the Chev SS was a uniquely South African variant. That fact probably worked against it. Australians seem to place a much greater value on Monaros which mimic the "local" product in specification.

Social Media