Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Pictures of your muscle car!
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILL

Post by Grizz1963 » Mon 01 May 2017, 18:37

So, to carry on with this sheds build report.

After the sleepers went in, I started to measure, cut, measure cut, measure cut and repeat, repeat repeat the front wall wood.

Then prepped the windows, which meant grinder out and remove the side opening mechanisms to leave just the glass and plastic frames.

Fitted in just to get perspective.

Sides in, frames screwed down through the inside of the frames.

Plan was to work with the older shed in place, something that can be done, but it seemed easier to drop the shed on its face.

Like this.

Then I realised that the one floor support was rotten out.

Quickly did some repairs and fitted a new support, then added some skids for it to sit on top of on the paving slabs.

Did not realise that I assembled this in 2007 when I still had the Taunus Transit.

The sides went up easier, and measure, cut fit was getting on good.

This brought me to the end of Saturday, knackered too.

Shut shop around 7pm and came in to shower etc.

Small window on the side is for light and also to see up to the house if one ever made or built anything in there.

Came in and relaxed with a drink and Katy cooked us dinner as the lodgers had gone to work.

Whatcha think so far ??

More in a while.

Grizz1963

Post by Grizz1963 » Mon 01 May 2017, 19:32

Went to bed at midnight, and unfortunately up by 05.00 with a cat and a snorer.

So by 06.00 cuppa tea number two, thread updates and then out.

By 07.00 it was onto the brushes.....

I was using anything I had on the shelf in the garage, all solvent based wood paint/preservers. And liked the darkness of it.

As usual, my helper was around my feet all the time.

I am always amazed at how she loves he garage, tools and just being right there where people are.

Masking up the windows meant I could go faster with the brush.

Gloves had worn through by now, so a pair of rubber gloves kept my hands clean.

While I painted the side and front wall, plus my door on both sides, Katy had done my ironing (Thank you very much) and then came to offer more help......

So I stuck her in an overall, beanie hat and some safety glasses joined by rubber gloves and shoved a large brush in her hands, stool to stand on and stand for the bucket of paint......

She got into it and saved me a lot of time as well.

At some point she went to make us lunch, 4 boiled eggs and toast for me and somewhat less for herself.
At the same time Mickey came around to borrow my grinder with a diamond blade to finish a job, but he also ended up with half my lunch and a cuppa tea.

After lunch I had one more wall to do, the one on the garage side of the shed.

Saved the worst one for last.

Not that clever ehhh?

Grizz1963

Post by Grizz1963 » Mon 01 May 2017, 20:24

After lunch on Sunday, I really needed to push it as hard as I could, despite starting to feel how unfit I am.

This was the last wall to be done, with plants against it, and of course quite a lot higher than the rest of the shed.

After quite a bit of measure cut, fit it was done.

At this point the second coat on the front and one on the side went on, the door got coats number two and three.

I also then boxed in the sleeper on the side and put a shelf on top, followed by more paint, to get it all nice and reflectively white.

I had promised the twins, lodgers a good South African BBQ or Braai as we wanted to get some meat burned for dinner.
So finishing by 3pm was the target, and getting tools packed away, a shave and shower and then off to the shops to get meat......
Got there by 15.55 and of course they were closing as it was a long weekend.
So we popped over to Co-Op and got what we needed, plus a 10% staff discount. Perfect.

Back home it was action stations, fire, then sacrifice the animal products and dinner,

I popped out behind my garage to fetch some wood for the BBQ and saw that my Bootfair Fig tree planted last year or the year before, had four healthy figs. My apple and pear trees both have been yielding good volumes a few years now.

Figtree.

Then took some last photos of the shed for the day to post up.

The last job on the build to be done is the roof of the new shed, and a renewal of my 10 year old shed.

Then of course shelves etc and pack it full of stuff.

Happy with the end result.

Today was a slow day, I went to a small bootfair, bought two large boxes of 50mm and 80 mm woodscrews for £2.50 each. (Bargain) And some fruit and vegetables.

Later Katy and I were headed out to the Sweeps Festival at Rochester, but nearing it, there was a downpour, so we carried on to B&Q to get some rolls of roofing felt and two tubs of shed and wood preserver.

Good help is hard to find.

Afterwards we came home, relaxed and I had dinner made for me.

Long weekend over.......

Few more tasks, but very happy with this shed.

It turned out even better than I had planned.

Grizz1963

Post by Grizz1963 » Thu 04 May 2017, 23:32

Came home and spent some time sealing the gaps between the planks, sleepers etc with £24.00's worth of Silicone in white and dark brown. That's 8 tubes

Helped by Harley as is the norm.

After that I decided to make the cap for the roof where the two levels come together.
Screwing down the donor plank onto the two sleeper offcuts and hitting the saw at 45 degrees, it makes short work of getting on with stuff.

I also started to make the scalloped facia boards that need to go on once the roofing felt is fitted.

And that is about it for today.

Other than the fact that I found a slalom ski dumped by the roadside for a friends son to fit to his car as part of the stuff that goes on a roof rack, as is de rigeur for many youngsters in the car scene. Thread here: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... estate-mk6

Always nice to find stuff about.

Mavrick

Post by Mavrick » Fri 05 May 2017, 08:18

is this a car forum or building forum ?????

Grizz1963

Post by Grizz1963 » Fri 05 May 2017, 16:22

Mavrick wrote:is this a car forum or building forum ?????

Maybe just pass right on by.

You now know you are not interested in this thread, and with 9 entries or comments since you registered you clearly do not contribute much........ in 5 years, including your post above.

So don't ever look in this thread again please.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

bmwmaniac

Post by bmwmaniac » Fri 05 May 2017, 16:30

Grizz1963 wrote:

You now know you are not interested in this thread, and with 9 entries or comments since you registered you clearly do not contribute much........ in 5 years, including your post above.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"

needboost

Post by needboost » Fri 05 May 2017, 16:53

Grizz1963 wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Well said Grizz 8)

Grizz1963

Post by Grizz1963 » Fri 05 May 2017, 22:35

Thanks guys.

I don't think I ever try to be a doos, but every now and then I get a bit the moer in....... when people should just keep quiet and move right on.

The poster clearly is not interested in my kak, somthen just move on and enjoy the threads you do like.

Anyway.

A young school kid and his dad popped in tonight.

Had a couple of visitors after work today.

Came in this Chariot......

Build thread here: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... estate-mk6

And in the flesh I really like this car.

For a young man who has not even started to drive, he has a good vision of what he wants his car to look like.

Some of the additions are perfectly scene, but it is all subtle, and not overdone.

They also brought me a massively cool gift.

Two license plates and both rare in my book.

But the Cuba plate....... right outta the park !!

I have wanted to go to Cuba for years, so this is even more cool for that reason as it delivers.

Really good to see you Dan and George, and of course the little Rottweiler in the car (:))

bmwmaniac

Post by bmwmaniac » Fri 05 May 2017, 22:46

I didn't see you holding a gun to his head and force him to read that, so good on you Grizz.
"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"

Social Media