Now end November 2016 and the assembly of controls etc is now starting.
First off was sound damping matt to be fitted from under the dash to the floor, followed by some acoustic foam.
Vintage Air evaporator/vent system fitted, wiper motor and controls, knobs and switches and finding a suitable place for the fuse box, relay sets, Dakota digital interface modules, EFI ECU module - all of a sudden the large un-used space under the dash is running out fast(fitting these items in hidden places was an option, but what happens later down the road when someone needs to do some fault finding/repairs?).
The next problem was the position of the Vortec inlet manifold in relation to the brake master cylinder = no space
20160810_231820.jpg [ 176.42 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
Then I recall when I was assembling the inlet & plenum chamber on the motor a year ago, that both inlet plenum gaskets were the same( fetch old gaskets to confirm
) so the inlet plenum should be able to fit rotated a 180 deg?
and so it does, throttle body and air filter will now sit on the left side = lots of space.
20151216_001111.jpg [ 100.92 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20161126_162121.jpg [ 185.27 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20161126_162111.jpg [ 174.67 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
As you will notice there are one or two wires out of place..........? wrong, in fact most of them are now out of place, so I had to pull apart the "cleaned up" Vortec engine harness and make it custom fit to the new locations around the motor and also include the new wiring for all the sensors supplied with the Dakota digital dash and gearshift shift transponder.
20161126_202018.jpg [ 149.67 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
Note the wiring seems to have reduced?
20161126_202036.jpg [ 155.12 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20161127_183321.jpg [ 126.41 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
progress, lets look inside.
20161126_162159.jpg [ 170.32 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20161127_183508.jpg [ 198.46 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
WTF have I got myself into now ?
20161201_083355.jpg [ 193.79 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
Well here goes......1 wire at a time - test, label,cut, extend, shorten and route as required.
20161203_174928.jpg [ 175.19 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
It took me about 10 evenings to rewire/re-route engine & gearbox wiring plus added Dakota interfaces and sensors and connect to required fused dc supplies from the fuse boxes/relays, then the wiring of the rest of the vehicle started, rear section: lights, fuel pump & sender, air compressor, rear ride height sensors mounted and wired for suspension monitoring/control - most of this wiring I have managed to hide inside the boxed chassis rails after sleeving.
I seem to have lost some fotos of this
After running the front clip wiring for lights/hooter/indicators and cooling fans & A/C controls.(just over 3 weeks worth of wiring and testing - so far so good).
Then just before X-mas, my next part for the puzzle arrives - I ordered a reprogrammed 0411 GM PCM from around 2002 GM V8 models(4 x faster processor and much more tuning capability with easier to get hold of soft ware - HP Tuners in my case - EFI Live being another option).
So I had to re-wire the existing ECU wiring to the newer 0411 unit as the ECU plugs are completely different (and I had asked the my contact in the USA to supply me with the required correct plugs and pins - thanks Lextech).
The big day finally arrived after plumbing the radiator and oil coolers and topping up fluids.(all 24L of coolant
On 26 December 2016 I turned the key and she fired up on the second attempt after removing the Plastic packaging cover off the new MAF sensor
(I forgot to remove it and start attempt #1 nearly swallowed the damn thing
Then the wife came running into the garage trying to figure out what the noise was all about, I just did what all petrol guys do......rev it up more.
What a X-mas present from me to me - Nou gaan ons Braai en Dop gooi, I had been dreaming of this day for so long - starting the V8, not the braai
20170102_002024.jpg [ 153.59 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20170102_002011.jpg [ 150.03 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]